Soft or hard top?

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I live in northwestern NJ - I’m definitely getting a JL 2 door as my next 4 wheel vehicle ( I ride a motorcycle in summer).

Here in NW NJ the winters can be mild like this year or we can get storms producing several feet.

I have no garage and only two tent style car ports lined up in my gravel based driveway for my wife’s 2012 Liberty and my car.

Naturally when I’m at work if it snows it’s piling up on my car.

I’m wondering if I should opt for the hard top or if the soft top/ premium soft top are sufficient enough to withstand snow
Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I live in northwestern NJ - I’m definitely getting a JL 2 door as my next 4 wheel vehicle ( I ride a motorcycle in summer).

Here in NW NJ the winters can be mild like this year or we can get storms producing several feet.

I have no garage and only two tent style car ports lined up in my gravel based driveway for my wife’s 2012 Liberty and my car.

Naturally when I’m at work if it snows it’s piling up on my car.

I’m wondering if I should opt for the hard top or if the soft top/ premium soft top are sufficient enough to withstand snow
I personally don't want to find out. With my SLC and Park City Utah winters, I'm just playing it safe, getting a hardtop, then a later aftermarket softtop. A softtop won't like feet of snow as much, and won't hold heat as well. If it's your only car, I'd definitely say hardtop imho.

pianomankd

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL - Sting Gray
Ordered my new 2Door JL Sport S with a soft top. Can always get the hard top later on if need be!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
It's more than snow Michael---as good a reason as that may be to get a hard top in its own right.

It's what that snow kicks up into the rear window, and the ability to clear it with the rear windshield wiper of a hard top, absent in the soft top.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Ordered my new 2Door JL Sport S with a soft top. Can always get the hard top later on if need be!
I would call the inverse significantly easier, which is why I'm heavily leaning hardtop.

Sponsored

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
Mine came with both tops.. it was someone else's order that I guess fell thru..

dwoodwo1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium, Granite
Why is it "significantly" easier? (seriously, I don't know)
Easier to order an aftermarket soft top and have it delivered than to order an aftermarket hardtop. Probably less expensive too.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
if you get the hard top now you get all the stuff for the rear wiper and defrost from the factory.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Soft top for me here in CT.

While it may be easier to get a hard top from the factory, my bet is I won’t want/need it. I just don’t want to deal with storing it and swapping the top out 2x a year. If I’m wrong, so what? Jeep goes to dealer and they install the wiper system.

I see it as a lose-lose decision, anyway. Lose $$ up front buying something I may never use and don’t really desire, or lose $$ down the road by missing out on the “dual top” discount from the factory.

Meh. At least if I get one down the road I’ll have aftermarket and used options. (Bestop makes a cool hybrid top for JK, currently - best of both worlds.)

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
But if you are not wrong. No worries What about snow where you are

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
But if you are not wrong. No worries What about snow where you are
I think you’re asking me about snow in CT? I’d say it’s same as OP’s situation in Pennsylvania.

In my case, I park in my garage. I also work from home if the forecast is brutal. If OP can’t fit the Jeep under his car port, he might have more worries than I.

OP
OP
MikeM1968

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I personally don't want to find out. With my SLC and Park City Utah winters, I'm just playing it safe, getting a hardtop, then a later aftermarket softtop. A softtop won't like feet of snow as much, and won't hold heat as well. If it's your only car, I'd definitely say hardtop imho.
Thanks- yep - originally what I’d have guessed- and what I originally planned. If I ever want the ease of a soft top in the future I can just get one later.

Plus with the 3 piece on the 2 door - it’ll be easy enough just to remove the top driver/ passenger panels without needing to remove the whole thing.

It looks like that’s the safest route for me to go

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
san diego no worries here! soft top all the way!

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why is it "significantly" easier? (seriously, I don't know)
Aftermarket softtops are more abundant than aftermarket hardtops.
Sponsored