Soft & Hard top questions

KY_Soldier

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ-2A, 2021 4xe, few Teslas & Ferraris
Two questions - first, does anyone have pics of the difference between the standard sunrider top vs the premium one that is a $595 option? How is it quieter/better?

Second, why has Jeep never offered a GLASS (tinted) freedom panel? Seems like a no brained to offer a glass roof option (when I say glass it could be plexiglass/similar).
Sponsored

Richard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Unlimited Rubicon
The premium top is made of a thicker twill material much darker in color and the underside is black and slightly textured. I'm going to order a jeep with the premium soft top only. I don't know if its any quieter or not.

webertiger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Occupation
Physics and Astronomy Teacher
The premium top is made of a thicker twill material much darker in color and the underside is black and slightly textured. I'm going to order a jeep with the premium soft top only. I don't know if its any quieter or not.
The premium soft top will the quieter than the regular soft top. It will not, however, be quiet :)

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
The premium top for the JK is quieter than the regular top. I presume it will be the same. The premium top skin is a sandwich of several layers. It's twill on the outside and has a layer of rubber in there too. It's a pretty common 'fabric' used on more expensive convertibles (aren't they all now?).

The standard top is the vinyl top you've seen everywhere since the TJ/JK came out.

I have the premium top for my JK for a few years now. It's very nice and holds up pretty well. The twill finish on the outside keeps it's color too.

I've never had the standard top for my JK to compare, I've had a bunch of fabrics for my YJ top though.

Sponsored

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 RAV4, 2015 BMW Diesel Sports Wagon
If the premium top is thicker, will it then not fold down as flat as the regular top? I've been concerned about the near absence of photos of the JL with the soft top down.

OP
OP
KY_Soldier

KY_Soldier

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ-2A, 2021 4xe, few Teslas & Ferraris
I ordered the dual top which I think comes with the premium soft top but one of my questions is whether or not the standard soft top folds down into the trunk as easy as the “new system” shown by the Jeep rep to the press in that video going around

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I wouldn't be concerned. One thing I notice is that the premium top does not wrinkle up like the standard top.

Honestly, I'd even guess that the premium and regular top skin is about the same thickness. The premium fabric doesn't get rock hard stiff like my YJ with regular soft top fabric does. The premium top feels like an army duffel bag on the outside to me.

Mine folds down very well honestly. Like I said before, I think it's more pliable and that makes it easier to fold up.

Remember too that the JL soft top does not use the 'sail panels' like previous Wranglers all did. Those were honestly the most bothersome part to tuck into the folded top. JL is only the canopy now. From a 23 year vet of Wrangler top folding - that change to me is a huge improvement.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
yes me too I hope it is atleast as quiet as an old jku hardtop with no headliners but honestly I live in CA and the freeway noise is loud pretty much all the time. Havingthe hard top and the basic soft top. I lke haveingthe soft top on around town but switchingthe 2 was like a 2 hour chore so it didn't get done often. I have to believe that twith use of multiple latyer of differing materials it would absorb sound pretty well. I hope. I am tryingto think of a way to mount up a rrt or other type camper that doesn't interfere too much with having a soft top.

NOW come on FCA get the 6sp manual and the Tan soft top into production pretty please!

crik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade; 2018 JLUS
Anybody have any idea when the Tan soft top becomes available?

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Anybody have any idea when the Tan soft top becomes available?
Yep me too I want to know is it supposed to be late availability?

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
I mounted a harbor frieght hoist in my garage ceiling and made a "T" out of unistrut with hooks attached to remove the hard top. Back into garage hook it up, pick it up and drive out. I also built a 2x4 dolly to store the hard top and allow it to be moved around that garage if need be
Sponsored