First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Bikini Pearl
Occupation
Salon Owner/Stylist
A soft top in Manhattan, KS is one thing; a soft top on the isle of Manhattan is another.

And get outta here with that 'begrudgingly' shit. We don't use words like that with Wranglers. Enjoy the hell outta that m'effin, lovely Ocean Blue Sport S, dammit. Those are words we use. Now go, and begrudgingly drive that thing and begrudgingly get her naked.
I just got my JLUS and only have the premium softtop. Before I ordered, I asked other jeepers in my area about this. Many have softtops only and have no complaints.
Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I just got my JLUS and only have the premium softtop. Before I ordered, I asked other jeepers in my area about this. Many have softtops only and have no complaints.
One thing is to be careful with the soft top windows especially if you are a soft top only configuration, when you remove them store them properly, wash with care etc, you do not want them scratching up and going opaque on you.

Nowhereman

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport (mojito)
I keep begrudgingly buying new guitars. They should make discounting illegal ;)
I can relate, bought a Taylor 914CE sunburst limited edition a little over a year ago, had to tap the retirement funds for that little toy.

jdog1969

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2 door
Wife lived it instantly with heated seats and steering wheel. Basically, I was blown away by the damn soft top and features. It rivals the wife's 2012 Cadillac SRX in many aspects!!
Too funny. We sold my wife's 2012 Cadillac SRX when we bought our JLR. Took it for a test ride and thought the same thing. The ride wasn't far off from the SRX. Reading your post cracked me up...

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
So, here is the story. Going out of town in my 09 jku Rubi, and the crap 3.8 begins to make a horrid sound. Nursed it to my mechanic, he confirmed my fear.... engine is toast. Decided at 118k didn't want to replace the motor (I bought at 62k and the motor had just been replaced). So nursed it to within 1000 feet of our jeep dealership where she gave up the ghost.

I had planned on upgrading in a few years to a 2017 or do jku Rubi in purple. Of course they didn't have that.

After looking at a few, the owner of the lot mentions they had there 2018s heavily discounted and I agree to test one. Out comes an ocean blue sport S. Soft top. I am thinking no frickin way am I getting a soft top. Tested it anyway, found it much quieter than my 09 hardtop. Wife lived it instantly with heated seats and steering wheel. Basically, I was blown away by the damn soft top and features. It rivals the wife's 2012 Cadillac SRX in many aspects!!

So I am now poor, but have a 2018 ocean blue jlu sport, premium soft top, cold weather group, anti spin axle, remote start, 8 speed, turbo i4, etc etc. Only thing missing I would have likely ordered was the bigger screen for Android auto, but I can live without that.

Basically I went from I will keep a JK and avoid the price to I love my Jl in about 10 minutes. Put 800 miles on it in the first weekend.

I did decide to spring for the 7 year unlimited mileage warranty given my recent luck and the turbo 4 with BGS bring fairly untested.
IMG_20190628_193005.jpg
I replace a 2017 with a 2018 and was also blown away with how quite the soft top was. My 2017 had a hard too.

Sponsored

elduderino83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0l
Did you get it at Robbins? I went there to look at a jk rubicon they had on the lot but the wife demanded we get leather and a matching color hard top. After having my jl for a month I've realized this might be one of the few times she was right

OP
OP
Ksvette

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
Did you get it at Robbins? I went there to look at a jk rubicon they had on the lot but the wife demanded we get leather and a matching color hard top. After having my jl for a month I've realized this might be one of the few times she was right
I did get it at Robbins. Last 4dr 18 JL they had.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
you may be poor in $$$ but you are rich in jeep; sold my jkur with 175k on it bought a 2018 jlu and wow oh wow

Thetick18

First Name
Alexandra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler j
So, here is the story. Going out of town in my 09 jku Rubi, and the crap 3.8 begins to make a horrid sound. Nursed it to my mechanic, he confirmed my fear.... engine is toast. Decided at 118k didn't want to replace the motor (I bought at 62k and the motor had just been replaced). So nursed it to within 1000 feet of our jeep dealership where she gave up the ghost.

I had planned on upgrading in a few years to a 2017 or do jku Rubi in purple. Of course they didn't have that.

After looking at a few, the owner of the lot mentions they had there 2018s heavily discounted and I agree to test one. Out comes an ocean blue sport S. Soft top. I am thinking no frickin way am I getting a soft top. Tested it anyway, found it much quieter than my 09 hardtop. Wife lived it instantly with heated seats and steering wheel. Basically, I was blown away by the damn soft top and features. It rivals the wife's 2012 Cadillac SRX in many aspects!!

So I am now poor, but have a 2018 ocean blue jlu sport, premium soft top, cold weather group, anti spin axle, remote start, 8 speed, turbo i4, etc etc. Only thing missing I would have likely ordered was the bigger screen for Android auto, but I can live without that.

Basically I went from I will keep a JK and avoid the price to I love my Jl in about 10 minutes. Put 800 miles on it in the first weekend.

I did decide to spring for the 7 year unlimited mileage warranty given my recent luck and the turbo 4 with BGS bring fairly untested.
IMG_20190628_193005.jpg

Love it! I have the 2 door version! I have no power windows or locks. But I am able to remove the doors by myself! My husband is now envious of my jeep and is looking for a 4 door for himself

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Congrats on the jeep. Ouch on paying $5,500 for a warranty. I'd try to get that cancelled.

OUCH ! ! ......... I paid about one third of that for the “lifetime” warranty. My dealership said that I would thank him.....and I do thank him....especially every time I read what other members are paying for their warranties.

Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....

IMG_20190628_193005.jpg
Congratulations!!! Welcome to the club!

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
$9.5K below sticker on a Sport? You did extremely well. And if you put crazy miles on it, you did well on the warranty as well. Your only problem now is to resist mod. :giggle: Enjoy your new ride.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I have no idea why people make statements like this. As a new Jeep owner, I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would buy a hard top. They are a pain in the ass to put on and take off, a pain to store. I really see no benefit to them. The soft top is extremely quiet, and I haven’t experienced an issue yet with winters, especially when equipped with the cold weather package.
Hard top only for me and it is perfect for me. However, this may be because I live in central CA.

The hard top is on Nov-March( 5 months). Rain , snow, snowboarding , off roading in the mountains in mud/snow...super quiet and toasty.

I have a simple lift in my garage ceiling that I can remove and place back on Jeep in 15 minutes.Also stores the hard top nicely off the ground.

The hard top is removed April-Oct(7 months). No rain and sunny. Lots of fun!

I hope that answers your question.

View attachment 201179

1C07B83A-4E50-4C51-AA04-2F8D7B81CD2D.jpeg

42676170-3101-4CA1-83BA-A3F8B960170F.jpeg

E6582090-02DF-47A2-9474-A61F5DAB0A7C.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Hard top only for me and it is perfect for me. However, this may be because I live in central CA.

The hard top is on Nov-March( 5 months). Rain , snow, snowboarding , off roading in the mountains in mud/snow...super quiet and toasty.

I have a simple lift in my garage ceiling that I can remove and place back on Jeep in 15 minutes.Also stores the hard top nicely off the ground.

The hard top is removed April-Oct(7 months). No rain and sunny. Lots of fun!

I hope that answers your question.
Nice ride cmcclintock. I am a hardtop believer too, and from CenCal also. Would take the top and doors off my last Wrangler in the summer, but found on days ninety-five or more, the relatively small volume of air coming out of the dash wasn't enough to compensate for all the hot Valley air coming in all around me. So will probably only take the doors off on a day-by-day basis now.
Is that a pic at Cava Robles? The concrete and rock and road look a lot like it.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Nice ride cmcclintock. I am a hardtop believer too, and from CenCal also. Would take the top and doors off my last Wrangler in the summer, but found on days ninety-five or more, the relatively small volume of air coming out of the dash wasn't enough to compensate for all the hot Valley air coming in all around me. So will probably only take the doors off on a day-by-day basis now.
Is that a pic at Cava Robles? The concrete and rock and road look a lot like it.
Thanks Durango. I also typically keep on the doors when it is hot season in the valley in CA. I was in Fort Brag last week for a week. No hard top, doors on.. 55-59 degrees but sunny(I do not have a soft top). Did not need have or need a top. Really nice with the super heater these JLs have, heated seats, heated steering wheel. It was sweet. Yes Cava Robles spot 188 . It is our favorite one there. You have a good eye.
Sponsored

Last edited: