XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Not sure about the largest size nor do I see how size has anything to do with the information that the poster here is looking for. But mine are just under 33 inches.
It becomes relevant when you suggest a secondary tire that they’ll have to swap out every year. Instead of a tire that does well in all conditions ...
Sponsored

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
It becomes relevant when you suggest a secondary tire that they’ll have to swap out every year. Instead of a tire that does well in all conditions ...
If one has the financial means, it’s nothing. All my vehicles have dedicated snow tires sitting in the garage. Takes me 30 min and 2 beer to swap them out. If funds are an issue then of course there are tires out there that can do a decent job during all 4 seasons and you can save some money. Will they perform as good as a high performing winter?.. of course not.

The op is looking for recommendations. I recommended the best solution for his needs.. high performing winter tires. Of course there are cheaper, easier although somewhat less effective solutions. Feel free to share those to the op.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Ive been snowboarding for 28 years in NY state vermont, Colorado, BC etc. ive seen snowfalls from a dusting to over 2 feet. and had jeeps xj, Jk’s etc with tires ranging from KO2 to toyo mud and nitto ridge grapplers, even iff brand stuff. I have only once back in 2000 had a slip out which landed me in the center median of the road amd if i had snow tires i likely would have been stuck in there because snow tires cant dig you out of snow , they are just good on packed surface. Additionally, i cant tell you how many people with snow tires ive helped out and winched out of the side of road...You have a truck with a transfer case and somewhat beefy solid axles. Use it to your advantage. Get 35” ko2’ that you can leave on all year and when the snow comes air down to 25 and youll have all the traction youll need even without lockers with added ground clearance for when you get 12” plus snow dumps. Thats a pretty long track record of experience.... edit: or score rubicon take off tires for dirt cheap on this forum and mount those!

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
While it may be difficult for you to understand or accept, your use case is not identical to everyone else's use case.
In many countries around the world and indeed even some states in America, having a dedicated winter tire (ice/snow) is a requirement. Sometimes a legal requirement and sometimes just a matter of the insurance company not paying out should you have an accident.
In areas which get icy, a mud tire is down right diabolically dangerous. Can it blow throw snow? Sure, but for road driving this is something most people will never see as the roads will be plowed and then have a thin layer of compacted snow/ice.
Only a dedicated winter tires works in these situations, unless you have snow chains. I am a sure most people would rather just be able to drive to work without having to install chains and keep a very slow speed.
Likely you have no real interest in actually learning about it given that all other winter tire threads are completely spammed with our often times aggressive and unhelpful comments, but I would suggest watching any of the hundreds of youtube videos comparing winter tires in to other types of tires in icy conditions.
Kindly post the link should you find any evidence supporting your stance that KO2 is better than any other tire on planet for any kind of driving condition that could ever possibly arise.
Let me guess.. someone spend a lot of money on those tires and needs validation?

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
While it may be difficult for you to understand or accept, your use case is not identical to everyone else's use case.
In many countries around the world and indeed even some states in America, having a dedicated winter tire (ice/snow) is a requirement. Sometimes a legal requirement and sometimes just a matter of the insurance company not paying out should you have an accident.
In areas which get icy, a mud tire is down right diabolically dangerous. Can it blow throw snow? Sure, but for road driving this is something most people will never see as the roads will be plowed and then have a thin layer of compacted snow/ice.
Only a dedicated winter tires works in these situations, unless you have snow chains. I am a sure most people would rather just be able to drive to work without having to install chains and keep a very slow speed.
Likely you have no real interest in actually learning about it given that all other winter tire threads are completely spammed with our often times aggressive and unhelpful comments, but I would suggest watching any of the hundreds of youtube videos comparing winter tires in to other types of tires in icy conditions.
Kindly post the link should you find any evidence supporting your stance that KO2 is better than any other tire on planet for any kind of driving condition that could ever possibly arise.
Let me guess.. someone spend a lot of money on those tires and needs validation?
Why dont people who operate snow plows for a living use snow tires then?

Sponsored

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
they use winter tires and snow chains. Not to mention have a ton of weight. Let me guess.. you thought they used KO2's?
Don’t waste your breath on him. He has no idea what he is talking about and obviously has little to no experience driving in real world winter roads. He doesn’t understand that tires need to hold snow.. not eject it in order to perform (Rubber on snow has a fraction of the grip that snow on snow has). He wouldn’t last a week in the brutal Northern Ontario Canadian winters where I was born and raised. I have 32 consecutive years driving in 6 month long winters in every condition imaginable. Anything from waking up to drifts that reach your house roof line (no one is getting out of their driveway until a loader shows up) to glare ice.. and everything between. Allthough not mandatory yet.. 99% of all vehicles here run winters (and 100% of snow plows, graders, city transit and school buses). It is however required by law in a couple of provinces already and you get an insurance discount if used because of the proven increased control.

Unfortunately.. one has to realize what they don’t know in order to learn. And unfortunately.. some think they already know it all.

Last edited:

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Don’t waste your breath on him. He has no idea what he is talking about and obviously has little to no experience driving in real world winter roads. He doesn’t understand that tires need to hold snow.. not eject it in order to perform (Rubber on snow has a fraction of the grip that snow on snow has). He wouldn’t last a week in the brutal Northern Ontario Canadian winters where I was born and raised. I have 32 consecutive years driving in 6 month long winters in every condition imaginable. Anything from waking up to drifts that reach your house roof line (no one is getting out of their driveway until a loader shows up) to glare ice.. and everything between. Allthough not mandatory yet.. 99% of all vehicles here run winters (and 100% of snow plows, graders, city transit and school buses). It is however required by law in a couple of provinces already and you get an insurance discount if used because of the proven increased control.

Unfortunately.. one has to realize what they don’t know in order to learn. And unfortunately.. some think they already know it all.
Hahaha i lived in Red Cliff Colorado where we got 16” dumps on the regs... you people are clueless. Snow plows do NOT use winter tires.

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
Where do you live that snow plows don’t use snow tires
You know.. one has the potential to learn much more when they can realize what they don’t know.
Hahaha i lived in Red Cliff Colorado where we got 16” dumps on the regs... you people are clueless. Snow plows do NOT use winter tires.
Again.. some

Amazing their is an adult out there that thinks an A/T tire would perform better on winter roads than a high performing dedicated winter tire . Ah well.. guess you can’t fix all the stupid out there.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager

You know.. one has the potential to learn much more when they can realize what they don’t know.

Again.. some

Amazing their is an adult out there that thinks an A/T tire would perform better on winter roads than a high performing dedicated winter tire . Ah well.. guess you can’t fix all the stupid out there.
Airplanes don't use snow tires, therefore, KO2's are clearly the tire to use in icy conditions.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ

Again.. some

Its not about performing better its about you suggesting a completely different set of additional tires that someone has to remove and re install every year for slight better “performance” .... its just a stupid argument. Especially on a vehicle that people are puttin 33-40 inch tires... swap those for 255’s ?? Yea tha makes sense... and i just watched a guy plow are complex yesterday 350 dualy, nitto mud tires..

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
Its not about performing better its about you suggesting a completely different set of additional tires that someone has to remove and re install every year for slight better “performance” .... its just a stupid argument. Especially on a vehicle that people are puttin 33-40 inch tires... swap those for 255’s ?? Yea tha makes sense... and i just watched a guy plow are complex yesterday 350 dualy, nitto mud tires..
Nitto muds..? Shit.. I could plow a yard with a 350 dualy wearing cheap all seasons tires without issue. That’s a no brainer. information. Best and safest performing tires in extreme winter conditions for acceleration, stopping, lateral control and step out recovery and emergency manoeuvres...? dedicated winters.. hands down.. no question. The soft compared, specialized sipping and treads are fat superior. And you.. for the first time just admitted that do they perform better. Nice to see you coming along.

As far as swapping them over..seriously? that’s a 30 min job you do yourself. I guess it’s a matter of life experience. EVERYONE up here has a set for each vehicle sitting in their garage waiting for fall. Perhaps in shorter milder winter conditions it not really necessary. Up here it is.

And finally.. as much as you would like to think otherwise.. it’s a fact that the majority of Jeep owners run their machines stock or close to. Shit.. half the JL’s out there won’t see anything harsher than a dirt road. So your argument there has zero merit. I run 33’s in the summer and my winters are 32.7’s.

Now.. if you want to talk about the best A/T tire in the winter.. you will more than likely not attract much debate from anyone.