Sponsored

Smell after flat towing

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Flat towed the JL for the first time on an extended trip. Using a Brake Buddy auxiliary braking system, Noticing running vehicle after being flat towed an burnt odor in the engine bay in front of the battery which dissipates after a few miles. Anybody else noticing this? Brake rotors are cool.
Sponsored

Texag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
It’s normal. I’ve always thought it was rubber and other stuff from the road being kicked up Into the radiator and engine compartment then burning it off when you start the Jeep.

Biocruiser

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Agree with Texag. Totally normal. This has happened on every toad I've owned over the years. It's well-documented on various RV forums. As noted above, it's due to rubber on the road being deposited on the vehicle and then burned off.

OP
OP
Nutmeg

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Thanks makes me feel better. New vehicle first long tow and what the heck is this. Did not notice it on my prior toad but the engine compartment in the JL gets considerable hotter in comparison.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Last two roads were JKs, same smell on both, everytime. Current non-Jeep road (I know, I'm sorry), no smell.
Sponsored