Sponsored

Smaller battery than initially planned??

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
So when the 4xe was initially announced, the press specs indicated a 17.3KWH battery with estimated 25 mile range.
Jeep has recently removed references to the 25 mile electric range from its website (at least I can’t find it anymore) and in the capabilities link it now references a 16KWH battery.
reports out of Canada are showing electric only range of 35km which is <22 miles.
Wonder if they had to make a last minute battery change which is resulting in delayed EPA certification and holding up deliveries? This would be a shame...
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
22 mile range vs 25 mile range is only about a 10% difference. If you want pure electric capabilities, a Wrangler isn't for you. Figure out what you want and buy that, whether a Wrangler or a Prius, you need to understand the aerodynamics of a Wrangler were and never will be good. A Wrangler 4xE is a compromise. This post feels like someone trying to feel outrage about something on the internet for attention or because they are bored.

OP
OP

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
Ha! Yes, a little bored but also trying to figure out why the delay. No outrage here, I'm fine with 22 miles of range. Just trying to figure out what the hold up is on deliveries and think maybe this is the reason.

Littlej2455

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 4xe
So when the 4xe was initially announced, the press specs indicated a 17.3KWH battery with estimated 25 mile range.
Jeep has recently removed references to the 25 mile electric range from its website (at least I can’t find it anymore) and in the capabilities link it now references a 16KWH battery.
reports out of Canada are showing electric only range of 35km which is <22 miles.
Wonder if they had to make a last minute battery change which is resulting in delayed EPA certification and holding up deliveries? This would be a shame...
That is an interesting find. I see that too. I wonder if that is the hold up. Would this also affect the $7,500 tax credit not being as large of a battery?

JLUR4xe

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 TJ SE, 2021 JLUR 4xe (ordered 2/2)
They still have the 25 mile range estimate listed near the bottom of the Jeep 4xe page in the "Get the Details" section under the question "Does the Jeep 4xe come in a hybrid?" They may have just missed that reference. If I am not mistaken a 16KWH battery is the smallest battery that would qualify for the full $7500 federal tax credit.

Sponsored

Bill Reiter

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Toyota FJ Cruiser; '08 Yukon; '05 CTS-V
Losing the $7,500 credit would probably be a deal-breaker for me. Just wouldn't be the same "deal" when compared to the standard Rubi (or potentially the 392, if I wanted to go the power route). Of course, I'm sure that FCA recognizes that many would share this sentiment and hence will ensure holding on to that credit.

gman123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo V60, Volvo S60, Ordered 4XE Sahara
Interesting, this is what chat told me today
Jeep Wrangler JL Smaller battery than initially planned?? 05906B0F-E21E-4BDA-AB44-FFC94F9E5606

OP
OP

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
Curious why the jeep.com website then shows 16 kwh. Lot's of inconsistent information... What I also find interesting is that on the build sheet they provide details of virtually every part on the vehicle; including size of 17.2 gallon gas tank; 600 Amp maintenance free battery, axles size, map pockets, illuminated cup holders etc. etc. but they don't mention the most expensive component which is the 400v hybrid battery (either 16 or 17.3 kwh, who knows!)

Screenshot 2021-02-18 200449.jpg

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
If I am not mistaken a 16KWH battery is the smallest battery that would qualify for the full $7500 federal tax credit.
You are correct. The calculation is as follows:
$2,500 credit for any vehicle with at least a 5kWh battery
+ 417 for the first 5kWh
+ 417 for each kWh in excess of 5kWh
Total Credit (capped at a maximum credit of $7,500)

At 16kWh the calculation looks like this:
$2,500 (base credit)
$ 417 (credit for first 5kWh)
$4,587 (credit for final 11kWh x $417)
$7,504 initial calculated credit
$7,500 capped at $7,500 due to max credit

Calculation from IRS website (see second paragraph): https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-in-electric-vehicle-credit-irc-30-and-irc-30d

Explanation from another site: https://evadoption.com/resources/fe...-tax-credit-amount-is-calculated-for-each-ev/

Losing the $7,500 credit would probably be a deal-breaker for me. Just wouldn't be the same "deal" when compared to the standard Rubi (or potentially the 392, if I wanted to go the power route). Of course, I'm sure that FCA recognizes that many would share this sentiment and hence will ensure holding on to that credit.
No risk of you losing that credit due to a drop from 17kWh to 16kWh (if that even happens). That last 1kWh resulted in zero increase to the tax credit anyway. Even if they were to hypothetically drop it to a 15kWh battery, you wouldn’t lose the credit entirely, but the credit would drop from $7,500 to $7,087.
Sponsored