Sponsored

Sky One Touch vs. Sunroof

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Wife and I both have one touch tops and love them. Open and close up to 60mph.. we use them all the time. I had a dual top and seldom took the top down because it was a pain pulling window panels off and on.
The one touch does look a bit funny, but it feels just as wide open as a soft top.
Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I'd go with the MyTop instead. It's cheaper than the sky one touch and offers a lot more freedom

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Did they fix the issue with those tops lifting in the middle at speed? Wife had this style roof in her old Jeep, I think it was a Compass or Patriot, and we had to put a piece of rubber butyl around the front lip for a good seal. It may be too early in the lifespan of these to tell.
It’s a neat concept to put in the Wrangler for those older folks or less physically capable who want the roof off but can’t remove the hardtop or work the soft top. I’d put more trust/faith in a sunroof after having owned both.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve learned the hard way to insist my wife bring a light jacket on open Jeep days. She has more than once even on 80 degree days told me “I’m cold” once we hit the highway. She’s not a fan so I take preemptive strikes by having her put those scrunchy things in the glove compartment for her hair and ALWAYS insist she bring a jacket on open days.

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I love mine have no regrets. In 5-6 years when we retire the TJ and the JL becomes our beach vehicle I will part out the sky-one. After buying a new Wrangler w/ sky one of course. We only use the JL in the cooler months and on road trips.

Sponsored

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Open and close up to 60mph.. we use them all the time. I had a dual top and seldom took the top down because it was a pain pulling window panels off and on.
The one touch does look a bit funny, but it feels just as wide open as a soft top.
THIS

I'd go with the MyTop instead. It's cheaper than the sky one touch and offers a lot more freedom
I would prefer SOT over MyTop for one reason it can’t open or close while moving, let alone 60MPH. I don’t want to have to pull over. But I’d consider it if I wanted to add power convertible to a non SOT. SOT from factory is as my route.

darylgordon

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I historically don't care for convertibles or sunroofs. So, when my partner talked me into getting my 2020 with a Sky One Touch, I reluctantly went along with her suggestion. I immediately ordered the sunshade on my Jeep. My partner has a Sunrider on her 2018 Jeep Sahara...which I'm not fond of. However, I love the Sky One Touch. Yes, there's a lot more road noise than the hardtop. But the payoff is awesome. With the sunshade on my SOT, even on sunny days, I can enjoy my Jeep with the top open The sunshade seems to deflect some of the wind that would ordinarily come inside the Jeep. I use the SOT far more than I have ever used any convertible, sunroof, or Sunrider.

No matter what, there will always be naysayers in life. No matter how awesome a product might be, there will always be those who can find something to complain about...even if they have never owned a Jeep with a SOT.

My partner likes the SOT in my Jeep so much, she is currently looking to trade in her 2018 Sahara for a 2020 Sahara with a SOT.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
The MyTop looks pretty cool, but its only a couple of hundred less than the one touch and it takes a lot of space when folded down. Can it be tied down so it isn't blocking rear vision?
No local insstallers either so to spend $3700+ and eat a warranty because it wasn't a certified install?? Nah, pass..

Last edited:

CJ2k14

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Get a hard top and a Sunrider! The Sky one touch will be a nightmare $$ once the warranty is up if you have a problem.
I have the sky top, love it!! Its amazing how many people complain about what they don't have, zero history to show there is or will be a problem with the roof, anyone can speculate, show some data to support false accusations. If I didn't now better, I would guess that's a nice way to say, you couldn't afford one..haha..

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I have the sky top, love it!! Its amazing how many people complain about what they don't have, zero history to show there is or will be a problem with the roof, anyone can speculate, show some data to support false accusations. If I didn't now better, I would guess that's a nice way to say, you couldn't afford one..haha..
We ordered the wife's JLURD with a SOTT, I think it's going to be great for her. Having said that, I'm a hair concerned that it might have issues. There are plenty of posts here on this forum from owners of Jeeps that have, or had, a SOTT which resulted in trips to the dealer.

I still think it is a great idea and obviously we were not deterred, but to say there is zero history showing issues with this top is incorrect.

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, if you have problems with your top and have to go against Jeep, the first thing they will throw at you is the operating manual stating you cannot fold the windshield down with the SOTT. I didn't and never planned on it. But it is in the owners manual . You know, the book that they did not give you when you bought your jeep. Nor did the dealer tell you that when selling you the top.
That's true about the manual. When i first got my Jeep I tried to put the windshield down a few times exactly how it states in the manual, But i couldn't. There isn't to my knowledge any reference provided by jeep that states that you should not lower the windshield with the SOT.

My wife just got a 2020 and she went with the hardtop. Two weeks and she regrets not getting the SOT like i have, like a lot.

CJ2k14

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
We ordered the wife's JLURD with a SOTT, I think it's going to be great for her. Having said that, I'm a hair concerned that it might have issues. There are plenty of posts here on this forum from owners of Jeeps that have, or had, a SOTT which resulted in trips to the dealer.

I still think it is a great idea and obviously we were not deterred, but to say there is zero history showing issues with this top is incorrect.
Even the most reliable cars have issues, my point was, to say that you ARE going to have issues with the top after the warranty is just an opinion, not a fact.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
CJ2k14 said: ↑
Why do people feel like they need to put crap like this on forums. I have one. It is broke. "Zero history"??? Jeep is buying back the Jeep after arbitration. I'm not speculating, it's documented. And I paid cash for mine. But even if I can afford one doesn't mean I want to throw money away
Sorry you've had issues, I've had a buyback also (for another reason) so I get it..
However, your's it the first I've heard of an unresolvable one touch issue. Squeaks on the back windows, yes, wind noise on the passenger side, yes but nothing like you're experiencing. I power wash everytime we take mud baths (many times it even gets on the roof) and have had no water leakage..
Kinda messed up that a complete replacement didn't resolve it for you.. It would seem the entire body may be off and out of alignment.. Hope you have better luck with the next one.

Bay Sailor

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I really like the concept of the sky top but ultimately decided against getting it. I typically keep my vehicles for a long time and was concerned about how this top would hold up over time. Yes, they seem to be working pretty well, but our jeeps are all still new. What happens after a few years go by? Several years ago they put these tops on Jeep Liberties and they have had all sorts of trouble. See the attached article:

https://www.motor1.com/news/306215/jeep-liberty-owners-sky-slider-roof/

Hopefully Jeep learned some things from this experiment with the Liberties but I didn't want to take the chance on it. That said if I was planning on

having my jeep for only a few years, I would have definitely bought the option as I would love the convenience of it!
Sponsored