First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2010 F150, 2016 Escape, 1970 GTX
Occupation
Own and operate a remodeling company
What’s up guys, I’ve been debating if I should delete my rear tire and replace it with the gas canisters. Do you guys think it’s wise to delete it? I don’t do a lot of off-roading since I live in nyc. I’m running 35 ko2. Any good experience and bad experiences? Other then a flat tire experience.
If you aren't concerned with flats I don't think there is another concern.

On the other hand if you aren't off-roading then you don't need the gas cans just keep the spare and don't get the cans.

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Thanks for the link, I feel like it's pretty reasonably priced.
youll need a t55 for install. The factory door hinge screws are tight and make sure the t55 is fully seated before unscrewing. These screws are known to strip easily. I used a dead blow hammer to gently tap the t55 until it was firmly seated within the screw.

Jeep Wrangler JL Should I remove my rear tire? 60F6474F-F49D-4003-A753-2183093BC906

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
The main reason I want to delete it is because most of my rear window is blocked by it I can’t see if a car is tailgating me.
As a former tri-state-r… why do care if someone is tailgating you. I question why you’ve got f**ks left to give.

You know Albany isn’t tri-state, right?

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
The main reason I want to delete it is because most of my rear window is blocked by it I can’t see if a car is tailgating me.
As a former tri-state-r… why do care if someone is tailgating you. I question why you’ve got f**ks left to give.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA

What does Albany have to do with anything? My concern is being able to see what’s behind me.

Matthewraffai

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
You don’t need it if you’re going with friends, take their spare only off it’s a total meseed up with sidewall damage. I’ve been wheeling for over 20 years and never had that happened. Just buy a tire repair kit with plugs and fix it yourself in under five minutes when you find the hole. Problem solved if you carry a tire air compressor with you or just buy a battery operated one. Have had maybe 3-4 flats in hundreds of wheeling trips and works every time. You don’t even have to remove your wheel to fix it!!

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
I personally don’t like the look of a Jeep without the spare but to each his own. Putting that aside, I always prefer to have a spare on any vehicle I own anyway. If you’ve ever needed a spare and only had that stupid can of fix a flat your cheap ass manufacturer thought was suffix, you know what I’m griping about!

Chaosmtb

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ 00 XJ 19 jlur
i was spareless in my tj for 220,000 miles, been all over, had flats that i could plug. one day (from suffolk NY) i was at ocean city jeep week, MD, on a man made obstacle and a piece of rebar sliced right through my BAJA CLAW TTC, i was SOL massive jeep rally and no one was kind enough to let me borrow a 33, i had a auto locker and the donuts some ppl offered would never work. i found a girl with a busted jeep and fixed it for her and she let me borrow the spare for a day, the whole area was closed sunday and had to go far away to a rip off pepboys and beg them to mount a pair of tires, they didnt have anything remotely close on 15' rim. got home ordered 5 wheels and tires, only carry a spare if im going over the bridges. Locally on the island its not needed. my jlur i just sorta stuck w the spare, it manages it well. the tj is so lightweight i like to go fast over really rough stuff w my long arms and a spare will really mess up the light on its feet feel. the jlur is just a moose compared to the mountain goat tj so it stays

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
I have used the spare on my TJ, and 2 past pickups.
Glad that I had it when I did.

I would not feel safe or comfortable driving around with no spare.

If I need more space or utility would consider a rear cargo basket above the rear tire.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’m with the majority here. I got a flat on my JK within 6 months (plenty of rubber on the tire) while I was in Connecticut visiting a cousin. It was already dark and we were on the way home and dropping his sister in-law off at the airport. No spare would’ve been a disaster.
Got a flat within 6 months owning the JL. This time on a Sunday grocery shopping. I changed the tire while the wife shopped.
I wasn’t a big fan of the TPMS system but in both incidences it warned me a tire was getting low.

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
If you do remove the spare make sure you have a means of not being stranded. I carry this tire plugger everywhere I go. Of course if you get a side puncture then this is useless but it definitely makes plugging a tire way easier than a regular kit. You'll be in and out in a few minutes (that's what she said)Onboard air is also a must.

Jeep Wrangler JL Should I remove my rear tire? 60F6474F-F49D-4003-A753-2183093BC906
This kit is the BEST tire repair kit I’ve used in almost 40 years of getting flats. That said, I still carry a spare, and I will always carry a spare. I live in the NYC area too. The way I see it, the spare tire is for my misfortune, the repair kit is for other people’s misfortune.

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Anyone who drove for a living will tell you your rear view mirror is mostly just for comfort.
It's your two sides that count.
And if your worried about tailgates so much your not focusing on what's ahead ......
If someone is tailgating you, maybe get out of the way...?
Sponsored