Sponsored

Going in for clutch recall - should I remove skid plates?

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I have a question for those who have already had their manual transmission JL's in for the clutch recall and who also have engine/transmission/T-case skid plates. Did you remove the skid plates prior to taking it in, or were they able to perform the necessary work with the skids in place? The scheduler at my dealer assures me that they can be left on, but I have little faith that this is informed advice.
Sponsored

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
dealer assures me that they can be left on, but I have little faith that this is informed advice.
I think you answered your own question. If you have the ability to take them off, and there is the possibility they can mess them up when they take them off or on; I would do it. The only times damage was done to my vehicle was when someone other than myself was working on it; (because I didn't have the appropriate equipment)

OP
OP
chacomaya

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think you answered your own question. If you have the ability to take them off, and there is the possibility they can mess them up when they take them off or on; I would do it. The only times damage was done to my vehicle was when someone other than myself was working on it; (because I didn't have the appropriate equipment)
Yeah, of course I know what to do to err on the side of caution here. I was wondering if anyone had actual first hand experience.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i did when i took mine in

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
From my experience, they will remove them for you (if it's a good dealer) but they'll charge you labor to do so at their labor rate. If you remove on your own, then the recall should be no-cost.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
There is a very good chance that all they will do on the clutch recall is remove a hose clip, install a protective sleeve, and possibly bleed the system. That's what they did on mine, and on most that have been reported on this forum.

If they find a potential problem, they will do a clutch "dump" test and if it fails, they will inspect/replace the clutch. It seems like you could request a chance to remove the skid plates in the case they needed to get into the clutch.

I think the odds are high that they won't go beyond the top of the engine bay.

OP
OP
chacomaya

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is a very good chance that all they will do on the clutch recall is remove a hose clip, install a protective sleeve, and possibly bleed the system. That's what they did on mine, and on most that have been reported on this forum.

If they find a potential problem, they will do a clutch "dump" test and if it fails, they will inspect/replace the clutch. It seems like you could request a chance to remove the skid plates in the case they needed to get into the clutch.

I think the odds are high that they won't go beyond the top of the engine bay.
Thanks, that very helpful information.
Sponsored