Sponsored

Should I Sell My Jeep?

JEEPmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 2dr
What engine/mileage are you getting that is so terrible? I was shocked at how good the mpg were in my JL 3.6 as compared to the 3.6 that was in my JK.
Sponsored

Sheddenb

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I sold my 2009 JKU at the start of Covid before going on deployment, and we had a 5 month old, no big issues with that but a little upset (sold it to not have to pay anything while not using it for 10 months). My wife this April told me we should upgrade our Jetta since we were going to have another baby and that I could get a Jeep again. Best day of my life getting two babies in one.

My son is 2 and a half now and is a little cramped rear facing but once he switches to forward facing it will be no problem.

Oh and he LOVES the Jeep!

cab1024

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
You should ask the SubaruForums. JK... I had two Subarus and loved them, but they weren't a Jeep . I've wanted a Jeep since I was a kid when I had magazine photos of CJ7s and CJ5s on my walls. I alway wanted a Jeep with 33' tires. Now I have them. Now I am happy.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Keep the Jeep and get a Mitsubishi Mirage for fuel Mirage for MPGs. 36/44. A used one is still going for 5-8k with low miles.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Keep the Jeep and get a Mitsubishi Mirage for fuel Mirage for MPGs. 36/44. A used one is still going for 5-8k with low miles.
I actually spelled out a brain fart..... Nice.

Sponsored

SandyUndercarriage

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys Sport
As the title says, I’m debating selling my 2020 Jeep JL Sport S 2 Door. I’ve had a lot of good fun with it and absolutely love driving it. But the fuel economy is killing me and not having a back row of seats, or when I do have the back seats I have no storage, kills me as well. And I just don’t go off-roading anymore like I used to. I know fuel economy was never going to be good. But now with gas being $6/gal I’m really hurting. And I don’t find it as enjoyable anymore, even though I’ve done a lot of great mods to make it a trail capable daily driver. When I got my Jeep I was single and had extra money in my pocket. Now I’m married and have kids planned about 5 years from now. I figure all those things added together make me want to find a reliable 4 door SUV that will last me the next 10 years.

I’m considering getting a used 2020 SUV such as a Subaru Forester, Honda CRV, or Subaru Outback (I know not an SUV). Something that can still take me through a Forrest road, but won’t be able to go off roading like my Jeep. Currently I’m estimating I can get ~$30k for my Jeep. One of those used vehicles is about $30k. I dont enjoy buying used but I honestly don’t have the money for a brand new car right now. Does anyone have thoughts or opinions on this? Should I pull the gun now or wait a few years?
It sounds like you are ready to sell, and I agree with you...

However, if the only motivator is the potential for an expanding family... maybe wait until the family is actually expanding?... sometimes that stuff doesn't work out as optimally planned...

That said, if your 2dr is currently a PITA... then it is definitely time for a change.

One of the things we did when while we were expecting was flip my impractical car for a minimally equipped 2015 F150 supercrew with the 2.7 turbo.

We joked that that truck was the ultimate Texas Family Sedan. Safe, decent gas millage for the time, spacious, practical, etc...

Fast forward ~6 years... we aren't hauling strollers and pack n' plays and what not, and our 2nd vehicle is a "mom van" (i.e., used post-rental fleet Dodge Caravan... you know the type... has the Kool-Aid stains and goldfish crackers all over the place). I swapped the F150 for my 1st Jeep (21 JLU), and it has been awesome. The kids and their friends love it. Driving is family fun vs. just getting to wherever.

TLDR: If your 2dr is a pain, then swap it now... Otherwise, go practical when the time is right... and then start getting excited about your next 4-door Wrangler.

Last edited:

Craigger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Clubs

As the title says, I’m debating selling my 2020 Jeep JL Sport S 2 Door. I’ve had a lot of good fun with it and absolutely love driving it. But the fuel economy is killing me and not having a back row of seats, or when I do have the back seats I have no storage, kills me as well. And I just don’t go off-roading anymore like I used to. I know fuel economy was never going to be good. But now with gas being $6/gal I’m really hurting. And I don’t find it as enjoyable anymore, even though I’ve done a lot of great mods to make it a trail capable daily driver. When I got my Jeep I was single and had extra money in my pocket. Now I’m married and have kids planned about 5 years from now. I figure all those things added together make me want to find a reliable 4 door SUV that will last me the next 10 years.

I’m considering getting a used 2020 SUV such as a Subaru Forester, Honda CRV, or Subaru Outback (I know not an SUV). Something that can still take me through a Forrest road, but won’t be able to go off roading like my Jeep. Currently I’m estimating I can get ~$30k for my Jeep. One of those used vehicles is about $30k. I dont enjoy buying used but I honestly don’t have the money for a brand new car right now. Does anyone have thoughts or opinions on this? Should I pull the gun now or wait a few years?
I'll be honest, it sounds like you're getting squeezed by crazy inflation right now and you feel like you have to do something. Jeeps are gas guzzlers and can rarely be called 'practical' so it's an easy target. I'd do a cost analysis to see how much money you'd actually save in the next year or two by selling your JL and buying another car. Between taxes and high Jeep resales, I'm willing to bet it's not that much.

I'm just telling you this because I sold my 2-door TJ a while back and I've regretted it ever since. It took a long time before I was able to justify buying another Jeep - I now have an awesome one but it took a while to get there and now I have to start accessorizing all over again ($$). Are there other things you can do to lessen the load on your budget? Carpool or take public transit a few days a week?

variableknife

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Sport S

I have a 2022 Sport S ecodiesel, which I purchased for this very reason. I am a first time Jeep owner; my previous vehicle was a ram pickup that I drove for 15 years and a quarter million miles. It got 17 MPG on the highway; my ecodiesel has a back seat that's easy to get in, because of the four doors, and it is getting me 34 MPG. Much better. Also, my driving range increased from 320 to 560. It's the best of both worlds, at least for me, and might be something to consider for you.

OhioJeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6 JL's and a Gladiator
Consider trading for a 2022 JLU sport variant with the 2.0T
Storage and reasonable mpg. You can put in car seats when the time comes.

Reactions: AMT

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
If you had a 4 doors, I'd say to try and hold-on to see if gas prices come down like they are supposed to, but I totally know how much the lack of room in a 2 doors totally suck with kids or big dogs or both, as soon as you have to carry anything along.

So sell and maybe come back in a few years when the 4Xe has more range and has shown to be reliable.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have a 2018 2Dr Sport. 2.0T E torque. Stock tires, no lifts, or mods. Hardtop.
I get mid to upper 20s, on 87 octane. Truly the first Wrangler I could consider a daily driver.
Before you trade or sell, consider depreciation, actual fuel cost difference ( is premium fuel a " recommendation ", or a " Requirement ") insurance difference, all the costs of maintenance that are expected.
Drive another vehicle for a week. How much did you miss your Jeep ? That's "Last, but not Least " consideration.

Deleted member 59498

Sell it as the used car marker currently still insane hot. Its starting to cool...

Keep the money and prepare for the next chapter of your life.

Jeeps can always be ordered or purchased new when your life stage stabilize.

All the opinions here asking you to keep the jeep are emotional driven, not practical or financial driven.

Only problem my buddy found out with that is, replacing a used car is expensive and lose any profit. That is not emotional just fact.

Best is to trade for a new ordered car you can get below MSRP.

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Sounds like you've already made your mind up-DON'T DO IT. lol Do what you need to but let me just say my JLUR-hint, hint is fine for family and gas prices are dropping -hang in there. But we all realize Family is first and we all have had to change, modify things to accommodate the family. Best of luck to you. Keep the Jeep wave going.

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
Gotta do what you gotta do...
But, we were lucky enough to get our first Jeep last summer: '21 JLUR. Mostly stock geting avg. of 23 MPG; not too bad (for a Jeep). Have three boys; at the time we bought it they were 6, 4, and 2. Running 3 car seats across the back and still plenty of room in the back of the 4 door. Oldest is in a booster now but still a full back seat. 4 door can definitely be a "family vehicle".

Santana74

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler Sahara Altitude 3.0l, 18 Jaguar F-Pace
Sept this year will be our 25th anniversary. 23 of those years we have had a child or children (2 kids but going for the dramatic effect). My advice to you is buy your dream vehicle and hold on to it. Make sure it's paid off before marriage so she can't say it costs too much money. It will be a long time till you will be able to buy anything like a Jeep for yourself. I just ordered a Jeep recently and caught hell for it. It was not the fact we can't afford it. It's because she ate the damn wedding cake and thinks (knows) she is the boss. I let her think she wears the pants in the family, but I'm definitely the belt that holds them up. Screw it. Buy everything you ever wanted.
I'm not unhappy with marriage and I'm not trying to scare you. Jump into the pool with the rest of us. The water feels fine. Really it does.
Sponsored