Sponsored

Should I Bail On My Custom Order?

LostSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
future JLUR
Ordered a well optioned JLUR on May 21, no email, feel like I am being ghosted.
Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I bought mine off of a dealership lot, and got a decent deal on it. I wasn't particular on what I wanted, and it took some looking. If it was me, I'd keep your order and look around and if you find something you like, buy it and cancel your order. Think of your order as the "backup plan", there is no doubt the dealer will sell your ordered Jeep in short order when it comes in.

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I feel like an absolute POS right now, but here's the situation:

• Custom ordered a Jeep for 7% below invoice June 15th
  • Jeep and dealer said it would be ready July 15th
  • Just got the email saying it'll now tentatively be ready October 15th
I have a roadtrip planned next month and can't wait another 3 months for this thing. Dealer never asked for a deposit so I can bail on it. I am -extremely- confident that the dealer will be able to sell it, likely for much higher than what they offered it to me for (It's a sport S with a few mods for about $35k).

I feel like an asshole for even considering this, and it will definitely suck to pay MSRP at a dealership - but should I bail on my custom ordered Jeep? If I had known this would have taken 4 months I never would have ordered it to begin with and would have gone to the dealer immediately.
I asked my dealer about this. "What happens if I decide I don't want it" explicitly. His response was something along the lines of -- then we'll put it on the lot and it will sell in four hours, don't worry about it.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Don't worry about it. I would at least let them know if you have no intention of buying. It's not like you can have a Jeep built with weird option or color combos that will keep them being able to sell it.

As far as going to another dealer, doubt that will work right now. There are a lot of posts popping up about emails pushing their delivery dates back for months. I guess the chip shortage finally caught up with Jeep.

Your best bet would be to conduct a search within a few hundred miles of you to see if there is one in stock somewhere. You will likely pay at least MSRP for it.

OP
OP

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
Don't worry about it. I would at least let them know if you have no intention of buying. It's not like you can have a Jeep built with weird option or color combos that will keep them being able to sell it.

As far as going to another dealer, doubt that will work right now. There are a lot of posts popping up about emails pushing their delivery dates back for months. I guess the chip shortage finally caught up with Jeep.

Your best bet would be to conduct a search within a few hundred miles of you to see if there is one in stock somewhere. You will likely pay at least MSRP for it.
Thanks.
Sponsored