Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
I feel like an absolute POS right now, but here's the situation:

• Custom ordered a Jeep for 7% below invoice June 15th
  • Jeep and dealer said it would be ready July 15th
  • Just got the email saying it'll now tentatively be ready October 15th
I have a roadtrip planned next month and can't wait another 3 months for this thing. Dealer never asked for a deposit so I can bail on it. I am -extremely- confident that the dealer will be able to sell it, likely for much higher than what they offered it to me for (It's a sport S with a few mods for about $35k).

I feel like an asshole for even considering this, and it will definitely suck to pay MSRP at a dealership - but should I bail on my custom ordered Jeep? If I had known this would have taken 4 months I never would have ordered it to begin with and would have gone to the dealer immediately.
Sponsored

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Do you NEED a jeep for this trip or do you just WANT it. If it’s needed, go buy one off the lot from that same dealer. If you just want it then too bad. Wait it out and get the custom jeep that you REALLY want for LESS.

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Silverado 2500HD midnight
Could rent a car for your road trip. If you want it buy it if you don’t mind waiting 6 more months for a 22 then order a 2022.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
It is just business, you didn't take any vows with the salesman or the dealership. This is especially true if they led you to believe it would show up in a months time, we haven't seen much of that unless you live within a couple hours of the factory.

Of course they will sell it. The car lots are empty, ANY inventory would be welcome I am sure.

Question is, can you really find one out there? My dealer has exactly zero Wranglers, I can't remember the last time I saw a new one on the lot, and they sell a lot of Jeeps.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Dealers deal with people cancelling everyday. It's even more understandable considering the unique circumstances of the parts shortages. It's just business.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
Do you NEED a jeep for this trip or do you just WANT it. If it’s needed, go buy one off the lot from that same dealer. If you just want it then too bad. Wait it out and get the custom jeep that you REALLY want for LESS.
Do you normally talk to grown men on the Internet like they are children? This was so weird.

OP
OP

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
It is just business, you didn't take any vows with the salesman or the dealership. This is especially true if they led you to believe it would show up in a months time, we haven't seen much of that unless you live within a couple hours of the factory.

Of course they will sell it. The car lots are empty, ANY inventory would be welcome I am sure.

Question is, can you really find one out there? My dealer has exactly zero Wranglers, I can't remember the last time I saw a new one on the lot, and they sell a lot of Jeeps.
Great point. It doesn't really solve the problem if there's no inventory anywhere. There are a few but it's extremely light inventory atm.

OP
OP

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
Dealers deal with people cancelling everyday. It's even more understandable considering the unique circumstances of the parts shortages. It's just business.
Fair point, thanks.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Great point. It doesn't really solve the problem if there's no inventory anywhere. There are a few but it's extremely light inventory atm.
I am stuck waiting months for a new truck. Nothing in inventory anywhere, most of them marked up above msrp if you can find one. Looking at 4 months almost certainly...

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Dont feel bad. I have been debating the same thing. I ordered last week with the expectation of 6-8 weeks. I am trading in my JKU on it. Unfortunately the dealer asked I keep the miles down under 1200. But that will be really tough if this goes further out.

Sponsored

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Go see what's available. If you can find something you want for what you are willing to pay, grab it. I'm sure the dealer will be more than happy to sell it for MSRP when it comes in. It's a sellers market. If it will make you feel better, give them a call or stop by and let them know the situation after you find something and before you buy it. Double bonus if you buy from them.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Dont feel bad. I have been debating the same thing. I ordered last week with the expectation of 6-8 weeks. I am trading in my JKU on it. Unfortunately the dealer asked I keep the miles down under 1200. That is doable to me. That will be really tough if this goes further out.
Look at it this way? The value of your trade might very well go up in value if Wrangler production slows more.

OP
OP

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
Go see what's available. If you can find something you want for what you are willing to pay, grab it. I'm sure the dealer will be more than happy to sell it for MSRP when it comes in. It's a sellers market. If it will make you feel better, give them a call or stop by and let them know the situation after you find something and before you buy it. Double bonus if you buy from them.
That's a good idea. I mean in this market I'll probably have to pull the trigger within hours but I get your point.

Bard

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I would just wait for the ordered jeep unless you find exactly what you want as stock somewhere else. Never know what will happen October may come faster than you think and stock wranglers may become more scarce.

Want a rubicon xtreme recon? I think they are producing a run of those in august might be able to jump in line and snag one sooner than you think

OP
OP

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
Have they ever emailed everyone with a custom order before, or is this the first time?

Very curious to hear if they are setting low expectations, or if they truly think it's gonna take another 3 months when it should have already been delivered.
Sponsored