Sponsored

Service Transmission and Clutch overheating warning

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
Well the technician is kind of right. Anymore it's not just bolt the hardware in and go you have to worry about the software just as much as the hardware.
But all of that was accounted for with his Tazer programming, as far as I can tell, or it should have been. The Tazer values are getting overwritten with defaults, whereas if you program them with JScan instead, it seems to all get retained.

Iā€™m confident there will be a Tazer update in the near future. JScan also just (as in, yesterday) added the ability to clear the resultant limp-home mode after reflashing the correct drivetrain values.
Sponsored

autotragic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR 6MT
But all of that was accounted for with his Tazer programming, as far as I can tell, or it should have been. The Tazer values are getting overwritten with defaults, whereas if you program them with JScan instead, it seems to all get retained.

Iā€™m confident there will be a Tazer update in the near future. JScan also just (as in, yesterday) added the ability to clear the resultant limp-home mode after reflashing the correct drivetrain values.
Yeah but was the order of operations correct and was a proper relearn procedure done after it was all configured?

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

FYI Jscan found a way to clear the service transmission code when needed. I am sure tazer wonā€™t be far behind with a new update

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just purchased a new 2024 base model manual transmission sport 2 weeks ago. I drove it a little but only around 150 miles or so. I've spent the last 2 weekends modifying it and when done I drove it around for a couple of miles without any issues. This morning I ran it over to the dealer to get an alignment done and about 5 minutes from home it told me to service transmission, the start /stop system wasn't working, and a few minutes later that the clutch was too hot and to minimize use. I was on a highway at this point and the jeep went into limp mode. I pulled over and let it cool down and then drove it the rest of the way at 35 mph. Fortunately I was only a few miles from the dealer. I've listed below all that I've done to it but I did not touch the transmission, gearbox, transfer case etc. Worth mentioning that I have a experience modifying jeeps and have never had an issue like this. My question for the group is, can you think of anything I might have done that would have caused this?

What sucks is that I'm going to the jeep jamboree in Tennessee next week and the dealer just told me it was 3 to 5 days before they can even look at it.

Non cosmetic work done to it
  • Rubicon Axle swap from a 2024 JL 392 (has the fad delete since it was AWD and 4.56 gears)
  • 3.5 Teraflex lift
  • Fox 2.0 Shocks
  • JKS front and rear trackbars
  • Teraflex control arm drop brackets
  • Tazer to delete the fad, adjust for tire size, and adjust for 4.56 gears
  • Antirock swaybars in the front and rear
  • 37's
I'd appreciate input or advise... thank you!

tempImageXlJIDK.png
Hi James,

If you would like extra support alongside the dealership, please send our team a private message with your VIN. Thanks!

Blair
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
surferbandit

surferbandit

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Just a quick update on this. Hopefully it will help anyone that encounters this same issueā€¦ Itā€™s been a bit of a process to figure this out but here is what I did and the links below that were of help.

I used the jscan to do the PCM EEPROM Clutch replacement replacement procedure and the errors went away. I unmarried the tazer and then reprogrammed the tire size and gear ratio again but this time used jscan. I took it for a test drive and 8 minutes into the drive the Auto Start Stop system gave me an error, shortly followed by a ā€œservice transmission errorā€. It reduced the speed and acceleration of the jeep so I started driving towards home. By the time I got to my neighborhood I was getting a clutch overheating warning. I believed this was primarily a software issue because the clutch had no smell and nothing seemed to be overly hot.

I used Jscan to pull the error codesā€¦ there were a few and I researched each one of them. Two of them tracked back to a procedure that is the final step in recalibrating your tires in a manual transmission. Youā€™re supposed to drive in 6th gear for 20 seconds right after calibration. If you donā€™t do this, your start stop system gives you an error. Reading through one of the posts, I read that you should disconnect both batteries (easy way in a link below) and then drive in 6th gear for 20 seconds. While this post was about tire size, I was wondering if this also applied to the gear ratio. I cleared the codes again, confirmed the tire size and gear ratio were correct and then went for a drive, trying to get up to 6th gear almost immediately. Once I did, I continued to drive around for 20 minutes without any errors. I came home and checked for any error codes. I had a couple but they were the radio and I believe this was because I had the scanner attached and the uconnect was not attached to the canbus.

Iā€™m going to take it out for a drive after work tonight and as long as thereā€™s no errors will begin daily driving it.

The post the @fczabala referred me to: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...with-manual-transmission.128371/#post-2690676

And this one on disconnecting both batteries: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/easiest-way-to-disconnect-both-batteries.110614/

There was another post that I cant find again but I received this bulletin from there and this is the process I followed to finish the reprogramming.

Jeep Wrangler JL Service Transmission and Clutch overheating warning IMG_1646.JPG

I really appreciate everyoneā€™s help!

IMG_1646.JPG

Sponsored

rwatts6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Sport
I have 700 miles on my 2024 JL. Put molar 2 inch lift and 35s on it. On the way to work today, I got a start/stop error message then clutch over temp warning followed by a service transmission message. Jeep went into limp mode. I took it by a 4x4 shop and they couldnā€™t clear it. I had a mini tazer and changed the tire size. I disconnected the batteries and hopefully it clears tonight. Disconnected all the negative cables and the two cables on the fender. Iā€™ve never seen anything this hard to disconnect ground! Hope I got it. I ordered a JScan compatible OBDII. Limp mode sucks

wreck99

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon, 2019 RAM 1500 Bighorn
Clubs

You guys aren't giving me warm and fuzzy for when I'm ready to upgrade to 35's in my '24 Rubi 6MT. Not in a rush to do it, but will be in my future.

Birds83

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave 6-Speed
I have 700 miles on my 2024 JL. Put molar 2 inch lift and 35s on it. On the way to work today, I got a start/stop error message then clutch over temp warning followed by a service transmission message. Jeep went into limp mode. I took it by a 4x4 shop and they couldnā€™t clear it. I had a mini tazer and changed the tire size. I disconnected the batteries and hopefully it clears tonight. Disconnected all the negative cables and the two cables on the fender. Iā€™ve never seen anything this hard to disconnect ground! Hope I got it. I ordered a JScan compatible OBDII. Limp mode sucks
JScan will be able to clear you will have to do the clutch reset procedure more then likely.
After go and set you tire size and perform a 6th gear relearn and all your issues should be gone.
Sponsored