Sponsored

Video of Manual Transmission--Clutch is GREAT!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I wish for rocking purposes Jeep had been brave enough to put reverse and 1st directly across from each other, but I'm sure that would have caused no end of griping.

On the other hand, considering the low percentage of Wranglers sold with manuals, who cares if a few people complain?
I like it where it is. It is MUCH quicker than the JK. I used it off road when I went too far into a water hole, and was able to very quickly back out. It wouldn't be natural to go from first gear then over then down for 2nd gear. The 6 speeds need to be straight across from each other.

Great video! I could easily live with a bare bones JL. Looks like a hoot!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You have one, I don't, but what would be wrong with:

R 2 4 6
|--|--|---
1 3 5
It just feels more natural to pull straight back from first to 2nd. It is faster. I could probably get used to that, but it just isn't as natural. I've never seen one like that, and I've had probably 8 vehicles with manual transmissions.

You just don't go into reverse often enough to justify it taking prime real estate.

Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
You just don't go into reverse often enough to justify it taking prime real estate.
Except when you really need it, is my argument. When you need to rock, this would be much more efficient, and momentum is vital.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Except when you really need it, is my argument. When you need to rock, this would be much more efficient, and momentum is vital.
I've been in a tough situation where I had to back out quickly. Reverse was right where it needed to be, and was just a flick over from first. MUCH quicker and easier than the JK. It was intuitive. I didn't even have to think. The lock ring for reverse is just a two finger deal, and it was quicker than the motion you have to do with the JK to go over to reverse, too. It really worked well. I was much more impressed with it after having to use it in anger.

It is VERY easy to rock, as well.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
1st gear at the bottom, that’s what would be wrong...! Lol
I've never seen one like that, and I've had probably 8 vehicles with manual transmissions.
Not trying to beat the dead horse, just found it amusing today: test drove a CJ-5 (beautiful, but brutally hard to drive, so decided to pass on it) and it had 3 on the floor, with reverse top left, 1st bottom left.

Edit: decided a pic was in order

CJ5.JPG

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Not trying to beat the dead horse, just found it amusing today: test drove a CJ-5 (beautiful, but brutally hard to drive, so decided to pass on it) and it had 3 on the floor, with reverse top left, 1st bottom left.

CJ5.JPG
Yeah no but when was it developed ? With which standards ?! Lol
Beautiful ride though, would’ve painted it Army green or D-day color though :)

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

CJ5.JPG
I'm sure I could get used to it, but in those days not alot of energy was put into ergonomics.

Sponsored

TankGirl

First Name
VRae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Occupation
Sith Lord
Thank you for this review, I just got my JLU last week and thought I was doing something wrong when I felt the need to shift so soon. Glad to know I’m not.

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon M/T 2dr, 2009 Nissan Xterra Off Road M/T with a 2" lift
Vehicle Showcase
I've been in a tough situation where I had to back out quickly. Reverse was right where it needed to be, and was just a flick over from first. MUCH quicker and easier than the JK. It was intuitive. I didn't even have to think. The lock ring for reverse is just a two finger deal, and it was quicker than the motion you have to do with the JK to go over to reverse, too. It really worked well. I was much more impressed with it after having to use it in anger.

It looks like the JL's gearing configuration is the same as my FR-S (far upper-left, with the ring you lift to open the gate). I didn't like it at first, but I got used to it quickly, and I now like it more than my Xterra's 6-speed, which requires pushing the shifter down toward the ground, then throwing it all the way to the lower-right. It's faster, too; I can put my FR-S in reverse in half the time as my Xterra.

Thanks for the video. Can't wait to get my Rubi!

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
You have one, I don't, but what would be wrong with:

R 2 4 6
|--|--|---
1 3 5
Dog leg transmissions like this aren't common in road-going cars. They've had a long history in the racing world, though.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.

I've never had to rock a vehicle with reverse on the left, but maybe the suggested Reverse, Second, Reverse rocking suggested in the owners manual will work well. I can't see it really being superior to traditional rocking with that collar on reverse, though.