Service 4WD warning light

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Have had the SERV 4WD light more than 3 times and tonight, when I need that damn Jeep to perform it failed me. Not able to lock either of the axle, it will show rear axle locker canceled, no 4WD. After shutting off the vehicle and restart I was able to regain 4WD but still no locker. Locker back online after couple hour doing nothing. So damn lucky I was with some competent friend and not get frozen in the mountain.

Jeep Wrangler JL Service 4WD warning light AB760A74-9D11-41EC-A648-3D5C66F339B6
Jeep Wrangler JL Service 4WD warning light EAEBBA98-A0B3-469C-9F47-D7B68EE247AB
Jeep Wrangler JL Service 4WD warning light 102EC08D-1DB3-4809-B97A-872A586DDDB1
Sponsored

ascuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 1985 CJ7, 1975 CJ5
Are you running a Tazer? I was getting the same thing almost every time after shifting back in to 4wd auto (serv 4wd, no lockers, would fix itself after shutting off vehicle for a bit).

Was getting a C140E error (transfer case). Removed the Tazer and everything has been perfect since. Non-live functions work fine.

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you running a Tazer? I was getting the same thing almost every time after shifting back in to 4wd auto (serv 4wd, no lockers, would fix itself after shutting off vehicle for a bit).

Was getting a C140E error (transfer case). Removed the Tazer and everything has been perfect since. Non-live functions work fine.
tazer was off, used it to change tire size then pulled off. Was always able to “fix” it after restart, but today is kinda strange, first time can’t engage locker..

ascuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think every time I've got a serv 4wd I couldn't engage the lockers (but could unlock them if locked though). If your Tazer isn't installed I'd check the transfer case connector/wire (passenger side), and all four abs/wheel speed sensors.

Next time it happens see if the green 4wd status text disappears from offroad pages, should be a fairly good indicator it's a transfer case module problem.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas, sorry.

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392

When you remove the Tazer, do you have to unmarry it first? The only functions I want are tire size and TPMS tire pressure...

Sponsored

ascuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you remove the Tazer, do you have to unmarry it first? The only functions I want are tire size and TPMS tire pressure...
Nope, not unmarrying, tire size/tpms changes stay.

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
picked it up 2nd time from the dealer for the transfer case issues. Of course they cannot duplicate the problem and made a nice little note saying I have aftermarket lift kit rims oversized tires…..

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
picked it up 2nd time from the dealer for the transfer case issues. Of course they cannot duplicate the problem and made a nice little note saying I have aftermarket lift kit rims oversized tires…..
Sounds like the dealership is full of a-holes. Hopefully that doesn't lead to warranty issues - I've heard of warranty denials because of aftermarket parts that "contributed to the failure." It's BS, but that's where Stellantis is going these days.

Sponsored

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like the dealership is full of a-holes. Hopefully that doesn't lead to warranty issues - I've heard of warranty denials because of aftermarket parts that "contributed to the failure." It's BS, but that's where Stellantis is going these days.
yes, they can totally use that bs against me. It’s a losing battle for sure, but hopefully things don’t go that route.

on the other hand, even thou I am not a fan of Jeep dealers, but I totally understand how warranty claim works. If it’s not black & white, physically broken, leaking, dripping, or missing it’s very hard to warranty it. I get it. Hopefully with the t case leaking this time, they are going to do something.

Will report back for updates.

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
I've had to navigate the warranty BS a few times, and they've always covered it. Sometimes it means finding a "friendly" dealer...

I was one of the test mules for the Kenne Bell Supercharger kit for the WJ. I installed it (had a cool magazine writeup done on it - that thing is a beast with a supercharger), and then I was having issues with my fuel pressure. I also had a bizarre drivetrain whine at a certain speed that was driving me crazy. There was a TSB out on a bad batch of fuel pumps that had faulty check valves in them, and another TSB saying that drivetrain whine was caused by a faulty damper and the tranny needed to be re-flashed., so I brought it in. Those a-holes noted that I had a supercharger, modified exhaust, lift kit, bigger tires, modified engine controller, etc. They said my engine/drivetrain warranty was now void, and since the supercharger pulled more fuel than a stock engine, they said my fuel system was also warranty voided. So, I got red-flagged and almost had my warranty cancelled. I fought it, using the Magnuson-Moss Act, and ended up winning. It was a pain, though, and now I leave everything stock.

Then, on a Viper, I installed a Mopar-designed engine controller, and even though I didn't have any engine problems, they said that the mileage didn't match between what was saved in my PCM and the other controller in the dash. Because of that, they flagged me as having the "off road" PCM, and wanted to void my engine/drivetrain warranty. That also got sorted out, but it was a pain in the ass.

It all comes down to the dealer you go to. If they're a-holes, they will screw with you. If they're cool (and sponsors of sites like this), they'll let a lot slide.

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I've had to navigate the warranty BS a few times, and they've always covered it. Sometimes it means finding a "friendly" dealer...

I was one of the test mules for the Kenne Bell Supercharger kit for the WJ. I installed it (had a cool magazine writeup done on it - that thing is a beast with a supercharger), and then I was having issues with my fuel pressure. I also had a bizarre drivetrain whine at a certain speed that was driving me crazy. There was a TSB out on a bad batch of fuel pumps that had faulty check valves in them, and another TSB saying that drivetrain whine was caused by a faulty damper and the tranny needed to be re-flashed., so I brought it in. Those a-holes noted that I had a supercharger, modified exhaust, lift kit, bigger tires, modified engine controller, etc. They said my engine/drivetrain warranty was now void, and since the supercharger pulled more fuel than a stock engine, they said my fuel system was also warranty voided. So, I got red-flagged and almost had my warranty cancelled. I fought it, using the Magnuson-Moss Act, and ended up winning. It was a pain, though, and now I leave everything stock.

Then, on a Viper, I installed a Mopar-designed engine controller, and even though I didn't have any engine problems, they said that the mileage didn't match between what was saved in my PCM and the other controller in the dash. Because of that, they flagged me as having the "off road" PCM, and wanted to void my engine/drivetrain warranty. That also got sorted out, but it was a pain in the ass.

It all comes down to the dealer you go to. If they're a-holes, they will screw with you. If they're cool (and sponsors of sites like this), they'll let a lot slide.
Maybe we should start a A-Hole dealer of the month award?

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is the final update,

Vehicle was back to me, nothing fixed from dealer. However when I checked the dash cam recording(because the whole back side of the vehicle was covered in Ketchup or BBQ sauce, shocks mufflers sway bars, track bars I mean EVERYTHING) I found the tech working on my vehicle ranting to his colleague......I'm not asking why it drive like shit, this shit has transfer case problem and error code.....Then he so smart and unplugs the power of my camers.

So, try to avoid dealer as much as you can. They will not fix your problem and while doing nothing, they talk shit behind you.....
Sponsored