select trac

margojon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Wrangler
hey there, new here, just got a 2019 wrangler, love it. quick ? on selec trac - i'd like to take advantage of the set it and forget it option...so what do i leave it in so i know it'll switch between 2wd and 4wd as needed and, stupid question maybe, do i switch the gear while the car is still or in motion. right now it's in 2wd and i dont see how it could possibly switch on it's own, and that's sort of the reason i paid extra for this option...hope this makes sense and thx in advance for any help here.
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
hey there, new here, just got a 2019 wrangler, love it. quick ? on selec trac - i'd like to take advantage of the set it and forget it option...so what do i leave it in so i know it'll switch between 2wd and 4wd as needed and, stupid question maybe, do i switch the gear while the car is still or in motion. right now it's in 2wd and i dont see how it could possibly switch on it's own, and that's sort of the reason i paid extra for this option...hope this makes sense and thx in advance for any help here.
You would want 4H Auto. According to the manual you can switch between 2H and 4H Auto at speeds from 0 to 45 mph. More detailed info can be found starting on page 321 in the owner's manual: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/downloads/guides/2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-JLU-Owners-Manual.pdf

OP
OP
margojon

margojon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Wrangler

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
thank you so much for the quick reply..
The set-it-and-forget it feature is nice. But worth noting that on pavement, the 4H Auto does nothing for you in summertime. But costs you somewhere around 1 mpg. My advice is ti keep it in 2H in the summer. And then when the weather changes in November, change it to 4H Auto and leave it there until spring.

OP
OP
margojon

margojon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Wrangler
The set-it-and-forget it feature is nice. But worth noting that on pavement, the 4H Auto does nothing for you in summertime. But costs you somewhere around 1 mpg. My advice is ti keep it in 2H in the summer. And then when the weather changes in November, change it to 4H Auto and leave it there until spring.
makes sense, ok can totally do that, thanks so much.

Sponsored

OP
OP
margojon

margojon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Wrangler
Isnt it more fun to engage and disengage when needed?
ha yes of course, honestly just didn't know WHEN to do it or HOW to do it, would love nothing more than to take advantage of it...this forum is better than the dealership or service ctr.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Work the crap out of the shifter. It is really hard to use the first 500 shifts in and out of 4 wheel drive.

OP
OP
margojon

margojon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Wrangler
sorry quick question, i have an automatic, is that assumed when you replied? also, does the car need to be in neutral or can i be moving when i shift between 2h and 4h auto?

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
sorry quick question, i have an automatic, is that assumed when you replied? also, does the car need to be in neutral or can i be moving when i shift between 2h and 4h auto?
SelecTrac is only available on auto transmission, and you can shift between 2H and 4H auto moving or stopped (advised to be under 45mph). If moving, just let up off the gas when you do it.

OP
OP
margojon

margojon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Wrangler
SelecTrac is only available on auto transmission, and you can shift between 2H and 4H auto moving or stopped (advised to be under 45mph). If moving, just let up off the gas when you do it.
thank u all so much, will try it out this wknd.
Sponsored