Scratched paint - how to fix this?

Campdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door jeep wrangler 3.6
Occupation
Industrial Preventative Maintenence
What can I do to fix this? People say buff it out but isn't that just temporary, after a few car washes or rain it goes away...

Really bummed about this so any advice is appreciated

20221128_114417.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Campdaddy

Campdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What is bothering me the most is I SEE people noticing it and it's a shame bc I just got it

I hope there is an easy fix or something

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
Maybe if you take it to a body shop and have it professionally buffed? You can also get wax that is designed to cover scratches but I don't know how long that lasts.

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If you off-road expect more, just part of life. You can likely make it a lot less noticeable with some polish and a buffing wheel, but unless you take it to a body shop it’s always going to be visible under certain lighting.

OP
OP
Campdaddy

Campdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you off-road expect more, just part of life. You can likely make it a lot less noticeable with some polish and a buffing wheel, but unless you take it to a body shop it’s always going to be visible under certain lighting.

Thank you I just called a body shop I am gonna stop by and have them look at it on my way home from work

I know it's inevitable to get scratches I just ain't ready for them just yet lol

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It all depends on how deep the scratches are. If they are only in the clear coat then you can hide them with wax or get rid of most of them by buffing the clear coat down to the bottom of the scratch. If it’s into the paint, primer, or metal, it would have to be sanded and then possibly repainted and new clear coat applied to completely get rid of them.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
What scratches?

Id say don't even worry about it. It's a wrangler. Pretty sure someone even makes scratch decals..

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
take a wet cloth and wipe one scratch line, use your nail with the cloth covering it, don't go nuts, just do one end of a scratch line then you get an idea what you are dealing with.

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLU
I had a few like that. Used Meguier's Cleaner Wax, hand applied, then used an orbital buffer. Then used some carnuba wax over it. You can barely see the scratches now. Maybe give it a shot.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
I had a few like that. Used Meguier's Cleaner Wax, hand applied, then used an orbital buffer. Then used some carnuba wax over it. You can barely see the scratches now. Maybe give it a shot.
This

Before you pay a body shop, try wax or Meguiers by hand. Most of my trail scratches can be removed with this.

In the same breath, keep about 10 coats of wax on that sucker and it'll be easier in the future to remove similar scratches.

Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
My wife had a bush rub against her mini cooper last spring that was overgrown on the road. Anyway, she was besides herself since her mini is dark color as well and the scratches were really visible. Before we called the body shop, I gave some scratch dr (or something similar) a try. Basically you apply the 2-3 part coatings as long as it is only in the clear coat. It worked surprisingly well and was like $10 at the auto parts store. I can barely see it now when I wash the car, but that is because I know it is there and I look for it. I would try something like that before spending hundreds - thousands of dollars.

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
Once you get it covered or buffed out, good industrial preventative maintenance would be to look into some of the thicker "clear bra" scratch resistant films that can be applied to vehicles. They're expensive; but, so is everything associated with Jeeps nowadays and some range up to 10 0r 11 mil thick.

FCCinAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Out here we call that Arizona pinstriping. While some will stare with horror, I look at it as a badge of honor, means you're using it for what it is made for. The next one will be easier to tolerate, or you can ppf the whole thing and keep that one in memorium.
Sponsored