Safety features standard for 2022?

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
On the VW you can disable the lane keeping but you can not disable the radar cruise and brake assist. It is also useless in light snow, which we get a lot of. In this car you can not use cruise control without it braking wildly on a whim. Might be OK with you but I am over this "safety feature".

So you do realize that you can not totally disable any of it right?
Jeep is not part of VW. Obviously you don't have the advanced safety package. Regular cruise is still available. It doesn't brake like adaptive cruise. Automatic brake can be disabled, are you saying they Jeep will still keep automatic braking on when it is disabled? The only feature I cannot turn off is auto high beams, when I apply the high beams it will turn off if another car is approaching from the opposite direction. I would need to add aftermarket light if I want to blind the on coming driver.

Traction control is on your power wagon is a lot different turning automatic braking.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I read this entire thread, why I don't know...
I was going to reply earlier but then my autocorrect wasn't working, which means I was unable to form words and sentences, without the safety feature of phrase recommendations.

Fortunately I was able to find an safety app that decided what I should type.

Is it just me or does everyone hear a voice softly whispering "resistance is futile"

Oh well, I need to go back to InstaTubeFaceGram...

WaX
Some of you sound like you might wear tin foil hats any time you leave the house. Adaptive cruise control is nowhere near full self driving. Your jeep isn't going to drive away one night because the tech overlords are calling their minions home. It's not going to go rogue and try to murder you and your family. On our 2019 it is just cruise control with the ability to maintain a set distance from the vehicle in front of you. If the car behind you rear ends you because of an emergency braking event, they were too close, not paying attention, and/or should have been using adaptive cruise control themselves. How is it somehow different if the Jeep brakes itself when a car pulls out in front of you or a child steps into the street? As far as the vehicle auto braking when passing on a 2 lane, that isn't an issue in the jeep system. If your foot is even slightly on the accelerator (as it should be if you're passing on a 2 lane), the driver over ride has kicked in and the jeep will continue to accelerate as if the cruise were off. It won't auto brake with your foot on the throttle even if you are running head on into on coming traffic. The beauty of the system, is once you make your pass, lift off the pedal and the jeep returns to your preset speed and following distance. Don't worry, the evil machines aren't out to get you.

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Not sure why you quoted me with your wall of words.

My post was built on a foundation of sarcasm.. It's a real thing. ;)

WaX

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
"We are sorry, Wax is unavailable to comments, he has been recalled for reprogramming by the overlords"

G653-3a

Sponsored

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
Wow, this is such a great thread. Let me see if I can help spin up the energy even more. Are y'all ready?

I have an automatic transmission and I like it!

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I hope the safety "features" remain optional, waste of money for me I end up turning them all off in other vehicles I've owned.

Sponsored

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
They are going to be standard. , We are not smart enough to make that decision for ourselves. Have you been reading some people like that safety equipment and demand that you and every other person have it as well. No independent thought or deviation will be allowed.
I have a little over 12 years experience in electrical engineering / software development. I'll have those pesky "features" turned off in no time 😉

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thank you for making my point. Non-approved words and thoughts will not be tolerated.
You have every right to say what you want. We have every right to call out bullshit when we want.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Oh and I liked the cruise control on open highway. Coming up on a herd of vehicles blocking traffic, it would slow down on it’s own....most of the time. It also thought I was gonna hit guard trails erected on tight curves. Sometimes it unnecessarily set the alarm off. You have to be diligent and definitely not set it and forget that cruise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
They are going to be standard. , We are not smart enough to make that decision for ourselves. Have you been reading some people like that safety equipment and demand that you and every other person have it as well. No independent thought or deviation will be allowed.
I don't recall anyone trying to mandate that you have the safety equipment, let alone use it. I appreciate the adaptive cruise, but I also appreciate that I have the option to engage or disengage it whenever I choose. I think that is by definition free thought. Of course there are a shit ton of terrible drivers on the road, and I'd be all for them using any and all driver assist possible.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Wow this conversation has gotten super political. Back on-topic, I think that the driver assist features will be standard over the next few years like air-bags, bluetooth, and anti-lock brakes. I do think more and more if this stuff is becoming standard, not because of the greatness of the technology, but more a reflection of how horrible people drive these days. To answer the OP's question I wouldn't wait till next year just for the safety features, if you want them pay this year. I can't imagine what inflation is going to do to new car prices over the next few years.

Me, I'm not a fan of the whizbang "high tech" driving automation. If it comes standard, than it does. I never use cruise control in traffic, I don't want to count the number of airbags that I've bought in my life and have never used.

My tundra is an automatic, and when I'm on cruise control I always have it in "Manual Mode", annoys me when I'm cruising at 85 MPH and an interstate over pass comes up and it shifts from 6 to 5 then to 4 for a second before shifting back into 5 and getting back to 6 on the down hill. When I drive without cruise control, I sacrifice the extra 2-3 MPH of speed to avoid the 4 unnecessary shifts.

That being said it is always fun to pass a Tesla and pull in front of them to watch the car slow down. :)
Sponsored