Sponsored

Rustproof frame / gas skid?

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I was under the jeep to paint up what I scratched this summer and/or correct any rust forming and I noticed something unexpected. Anywhere on the frame where paint was missing, there was zero sign of rust, none, nada. Just clean bare metal. Most obvious was the rear lower control arm brackets as they get pelted with gravel. Same goes for the gas tank skid plate, lots of scratches and not a single spec of rust.

The welds on the other hand were all rusty, not the silicone/slag I've seen going around, but the whole welds were covered in rust. The transfer skid plate does rust as well and of course the axles. Anything aftermarket rusts too.

So my question is, did anyone notice the same? And if so, does that mean FCA is using a special alloy that prevents rust? That would be awesome!

P.S.: This is on a 2018 JLUR.
Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Who knows, I painted everything under mine when brand new, Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator and Epoxy Chasis black works great.