Sponsored

Rusted lug nuts/lock

Doomgaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I noticed today on my spare, the lug nut lock had a bad rust streak. I went around and checked the other wheels and most of them had 1 or 2 lug nuts with rust. I've only had one tire rotation done, by the dealer. Is this something that just happens? Should I call the dealer and ask for a new set of lug nuts? How can I prevent this from happening again on my next rotation?

20190408_175904.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Doomgaze

Doomgaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Get better lug nuts there not expensive
And if I buy better ones, and this happens again after my next rotation, then what? Are they putting them back on wrong? Using an air wrench maybe?

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

And if I buy better ones, and this happens again after my next rotation, then what? Are they putting them back on wrong? Using an air wrench maybe?
honestly IMO its going to happen. anytime you impact a lug off your breaking the barrier that prevents the rust. unless you have 100% stainless its near impossible to prevent. but what i have done in the years is a little wd-40 every so often to help keep the rust away. i even do with with my boat motor chrome and aluminum heads etc. when i store it for winter. It keeps it nice and shinny after a good wash and polish for summer

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed today on my spare, the lug nut lock had a bad rust streak. I went around and checked the other wheels and most of them had 1 or 2 lug nuts with rust. I've only had one tire rotation done, by the dealer. Is this something that just happens? Should I call the dealer and ask for a new set of lug nuts? How can I prevent this from happening again on my next rotation?
Awwww... nuts! :CWL:

Seriously though... I upgraded all my lugnuts to the locking Gorilla (splined) type. So far so good with no rust (but they aren't that old). They have a 24-set that works for all 5 wheels (only need 23 including the spare). They come in black and chrome.

Gorilla lug nut.jpg