Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Good Day Guys,

My son did a JLR build and ordered his soft top Rubi and he inquired to me on rust prevention, he currently lives in the Midwest where they see snow and salt in the winter months and he said since he can’t run it thru a car wash since it’s a soft top he was looking for suggestions on keeping the rust at bay, he just ordered it about a month or so ago so I’m sure he has some time.

I have my JLU Sahara hard top with freedom panels and currently live in Houston so rust is not really an issue and I doubt I will ever run it thru a car wash due to the panels
Sponsored

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
I used to live in Minnesota with salt on the roads galore. I've never seen the rust proofing hold up more than a year or two. Your better off just having it washed once a week. Who said you can't wash a softtop in the winter? I used to wash my TJ once a week in Duluth. As long as it was a climate controlled facility I was fine. TJ is still in great shape after 12 years in MN and 5 in Baton Rouge with the sea breeze there. 5 years in AZ definitely helped it as well.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
The most important in rustproofing is making sure that your doors can drain out water. Window weather seals are not perfect and water can then migrate to the bottom of the doors. If it doesn't drain...the bottom of the doors can rust out quickly. I have actually heard doors slosh when moved!
Clean out the drain holes at the bottom of the doors. I am not sure how fast the new JL aluminum doors will corrode but they will if they don't drain.
It's the road chemicals (salt, etc.) that mainly react with the metal in the doors. The aluminum hood on my Mustang has started to corrode at the panel meeting points. Salt water and iron filings, I guess, within the hood panels reacting with the aluminum?

Last edited:

denisyoung

First Name
Jonsy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
In the modern market for car care products, new mixtures designed to combat rust have recently appeared. That is why I have been looking for quality paint from rust for so long. I wanted to improve the look of my old car.Found paint at https://www.rustbullet.com/. Good, painted over everything

Last edited:

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I paint everything underneath with Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator and then Chasis Black epoxy paint, the spray some wax type sealant over that, flood all interiors of frame, cross members, doors, TG and hood and rockers with fluid film. Paint all the aluminum cases with Rustoleum alum paint. Eastwoods inner frame coating is another option to spray in the frames, liquid zinc phenolic coating.
Sponsored