Rubicon: stock or optional wheels?

Rubicon: Stock or Optional wheels?

• Total voters

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
why even consider paying that kind of money when they offer no functional advantage.
Seeing both the JLR & UR, black/mono fenders and stock/optional wheels in person really helps. Especially so if you're able to step back and study why one or the other appears to be visually appealing (to you).

It actually took us a week or so after the LA car show to understand why we were still being drawn to certain configurations. We studied some more on-line photos, and went to our dealer to look at some JKs (just to confirm the configurations). It finally dawned on us that what we were attracted to was the 8sp UR with mono fenders, optional wheels & steel bumpers.

However, that being said, I also like the 6sp JLR with black fenders and std wheels. Furthermore, if I was interested in modifying/pimping out the ride, I would either powder coat the standard wheels black, or forego the entire exercise if increasing wheel size & lift. Also, I would keep the plastic bumpers and replace them with aftermarket + winch.

What we're seeing here is in effect the emergence of two markets: the traditional, butched out 2dr, which is going to look fantastic lifted and aftermarket parts. But the stock mall crawler with optional accessories, which is the one we're ordering, really looks good as well.
Sponsored

on--belay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Recon, JLUR on order, 2 summer cars, 2 summer Ducs
I'm about 2 hours from Detroit, and there is a silver 2 door JL that has been running around here for at least a couple of months, with a manufacturer's plate on it, and he has the stock wheels, only they are all black, and wow do they look good. If I didn't already have winter and summer wheels that I'm moving over I'd have the stock wheels painted, they really looked good black. I know it's a personal choice, but the results of the poll so far (86% stock wheel) agree with my perception that the optional wheel is just ugly, I'd have paid to NOT have that wheel lol.

My take on that wheel is Jeep was going for the look of their beadlock, black similar spoke inner design, and then the outer silver to emulate the Mopar beadlock wheel, only in this case they put a rookie designer on it, and voilĂ , Pinterest Fail!

buried20kleague

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Crush Rubi
Yeah but functionally they are exactly the same. Stock/alternatve wheels are skinny and not great for 35s regardless of whether they fit without a lift or not. You are just better going stock and saving your pennies for new wheels if you think you are going to get 35s no matter what.

Unless you just really dig the alternate wheels and you don't care about the money. Then get what you want!
That makes good sense. It's the answers to all the other stuff that will make the decision for me, I guess. Do you really need a lift, tailgate reinforcement, upgraded spare carrier... I'm hoping there's a full consensus before mojilto! can be ordered so I can make a decision will accurate information at my fingertips.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I'm about 2 hours from Detroit, and there is a silver 2 door JL that has been running around here for at least a couple of months, with a manufacturer's plate on it, and he has the stock wheels, only they are all black, and wow do they look good. If I didn't already have winter and summer wheels that I'm moving over I'd have the stock wheels painted, they really looked good black. I know it's a personal choice, but the results of the poll so far (86% stock wheel) agree with my perception that the optional wheel is just ugly, I'd have paid to NOT have that wheel lol.

My take on that wheel is Jeep was going for the look of their beadlock, black similar spoke inner design, and then the outer silver to emulate the Mopar beadlock wheel, only in this case they put a rookie designer on it, and voilĂ , Pinterest Fail!
I wouldn't assume people are going stock because they think the alternate wheel is ugly. It may be because they don't think it looks good enough to warrant paying extra for it or they know they will be changing out the wheels anyway.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That makes good sense. It's the answers to all the other stuff that will make the decision for me, I guess. Do you really need a lift, tailgate reinforcement, upgraded spare carrier... I'm hoping there's a full consensus before mojilto! can be ordered so I can make a decision will accurate information at my fingertips.
It's different if you don't know you are going 35s. But since the stock wheels are pretty good looking (subjective of course) I think most would stay stock and put that $800 to something else.

Sponsored

Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL
Hopefully @Quadratec makes a replica of each with better dimensions, like they did with the JK Hard Rock (and Rubicon) wheels. Those are a huge hit!
That's the plan. Our engineers have gone over every inch of the JL over the past week so now things head to the design phase. Definitely agree - those Hard Rocks were a top seller, and I have a set of gun metal gray ones on my '14.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I dig the upgraded ones and ordered them. Happy to have had that choice.

0CA30B54-94AE-476C-8BF5-A45766B7078D.jpeg

Gandersonsays

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I dig the upgraded ones and ordered them. Happy to have had that choice.

0CA30B54-94AE-476C-8BF5-A45766B7078D.jpeg
If you aren't going to go aftermarket and you like the look then go for it. It will be less common so you will have a more unique stock Jeep.

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
If you aren't going to go aftermarket and you like the look then go for it. It will be less common so you will have a more unique stock Jeep.
Completely agree and this is my reason for the wheel upgrade. I'm really not buying new 35's and so don't want to look like the other 87%. And actually do like them a lot better.

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Yeah but functionally they are exactly the same. Stock/alternatve wheels are skinny and not great for 35s regardless of whether they fit without a lift or not. You are just better going stock and saving your pennies for new wheels if you think you are going to get 35s no matter what.

Unless you just really dig the alternate wheels and you don't care about the money. Then get what you want!
Exactly!

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Really comes down to what you want. Also, depending on the color of the vehicle you’re going with, certain wheels can look better than others. Personally I prefer the premium wheels over the standard, also gives a much more unique look. Forgot who’s vehicle this was, but here is some reference...

DFE2446C-94B3-4FD4-86DC-FB609AF1BD42.jpeg
42E82CD1-2E0F-42D5-8B3B-D79312856776.jpeg
898E6458-6FE6-49EB-9DC8-1F345F877EFA.jpeg

Both of them look great so I'm having a hard time making up my mind on it. What did you go with (or are planning to)?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I like them both, now that I've seen them in person. I voted standard, though. That way, more people will buy them and fewer will buy the optional wheels, which will make mine more unique! ;)

OP
OP
Phenomenon

Phenomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Thanks for all the input. I am planning to swap to 35s once the stock tires wear out, so I think going with stock wheels will make more sense for me since they will need to be changed.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Prefer stock look.
Sponsored