Rubicon: stock or optional wheels?

Rubicon: Stock or Optional wheels?

• Total voters

Phenomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Both of them look great so I'm having a hard time making up my mind on it. What did you go with (or are planning to)?
Sponsored

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Both of them look great so I'm having a hard time making up my mind on it. What did you go with (or are planning to)?
stock...why pay $800 ish for an "upgrade" that is the same exact size (both are 17x7.5, only a different look. IMO stock looks better anyways. Not to mention when you go bigger tires you will likely change out to a wider better backspaced rim anyways.

20ftRoosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evo IX
I like the upgraded wheels, but the stock ones are really nice too. Getting too many other options, passing on this one.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
stock...why pay $800 ish for an "upgrade" that is the same exact size (both are 17x7.5, only a different look. IMO stock looks better anyways. Not to mention when you go bigger tires you will likely change out to a wider better backspaced rim anyways.
I was going back and forth on my order as well, when I placed i went upgraded, but regret it as I understand how on the edge running 35's is without a lift kit and/or wheel change.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Right? If you have to ask then I wonder why even consider paying that kind of money when they offer no functional advantage. If you absolutely love the option wheels or hate the stock, then perhaps, but even then you have a lot of aftermarket options that wouldn’t cost a whole lot more.

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
I like them both and went with the optional. I have said it in other threads but I plan to buy a set of take offs and have 2 sets. I doubt someone will buy the optional and take them off to sell but the standards should be readily available

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Hopefully @Quadratec makes a replica of each with better dimensions, like they did with the JK Hard Rock (and Rubicon) wheels. Those are a huge hit!

Sponsored

buried20kleague

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Crush Rubi
I’m still on the fence. I have the stock Rubi wheels on my 13 crush, so the optional would be more of a change... but I’m thinking on my new one I might want to go to 35’s, so I’m not sure.

But there’s a lot I have to learn about what that would entail. Seems like there’s conflicting info thus far, plus a lot I just don’t know because I didn’t do it with my jk. Would I need the HD spare rack? Tailgate reinforcement? Would any aftermarket JK wheel work as long as I got the right lugs? What would I be able to sell the Rubi wheels for and are there buyers out there? What about the stock tires? Which 35 would be best?

Since I want mojito I have some time to learn (unfortunately). I’m hoping by then some of the dust settles and things are clear and easy to understand.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
If you ever plan on putting bigger tires on >35's, I would go with stock and get aftermarket wheels later on.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Stock by a long shot. Just wish we got the same color as the dark gun metal finish at the auto shows. I'm sure it'll be on the special editions.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
That doesn't answer anything about 35's though... Which is where most of the grey area seems to lie.
Yeah but functionally they are exactly the same. Stock/alternatve wheels are skinny and not great for 35s regardless of whether they fit without a lift or not. You are just better going stock and saving your pennies for new wheels if you think you are going to get 35s no matter what.

Unless you just really dig the alternate wheels and you don't care about the money. Then get what you want!
Sponsored