Roof Rack Options

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I really like the Gobi Roof rack but I keep hearing horror stories about how long it takes to get it. I'd like to not wait a year for it to come in. I take the hardtop off in the summer and use it only in the winter so a hardtop mount isn't an option. The gobi can fold back to get the soft top off/on which is awesome. I lug around 3 kayaks and need a place for additional storage. I also don't want to drill into my hardtop. The Gobi definitely looks the best in my opinion.

Are there any alternatives?
Sponsored

mbaglole

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
I have LODs base + sliding rack on order. It allows for hard top removal (they demonstrate it in their promotional video).

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...estroyer-4-door-sliding-roof-rack-option.html

I can give feedback once it arrives (expected shipping was 30 days) - it has been just over a month since order.

I ordered front/rear bumpers and sliders from them as well, took ~2 months as was estimated. So far, been pretty accurate with general timelines (ordered through northridge).

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
i'm really happy with my gobi rack. yes delivery is 12+ weeks, but well worth the wait to me. solid kit.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Thomas, +1 for the LOD Offroading roof rack.

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep/2018-jeep-jl-products/roof-rack.html

Lead times to receive the Gobi rack after ordering it notwithstanding, changing tops, IMHO, or merely opening a soft top, while doable with the Gobi rack, is by no means trivial.

With the version of the LOD rack that cantilevers to one side (albeit the more expensive option) the process is much easier, not to mention that the sliding portion can cantilever with light items on it, and serve as a sunshade/awning.

Here's an owner effecting same, whose cumbersome nature is only a product of problems he was having with his JK soft top (the LOD rack is available for both the JK and JL) having nothing to do with the rack; and this gentlemen was not tall.

There is drilling with the LOD rack but only in places hidden by factory parts of the JL, and not, as you mention, on the hard top, that are (the covering parts that is) not difficult to remove and reinstall. No new owner of your JL would ever see such holes.

https://lodoffroad.com/assets/pdfs/JRR1804 JL 4DR BASE ROOF RACK.pdf

Sponsored

OP
OP

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Thanks! The LOD is definitely the better option. I just *really* like the look of the Gobi, but the function is more important. I'll keep digging until I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Thanks! The LOD is definitely the better option. I just *really* like the look of the Gobi, but the function is more important. I'll keep digging until I'm ready to pull the trigger.
I agree: appearancewise Gobi beats LOD.
Sponsored