Rolling coal

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
I did a bunch of dumb shit when I was that age, BUT I'm responsible for what my front bumper hits - period.

The fact that he was being an asshole shouldn't really play into it. It sounds like he had intent to assault (seems to be the consensus on the crime that coal rolling produces?), but not battery/injure the people.

Kid should probably get 1-3 in juvi, 2 years of community service, and his parents should pay the medical bills (who let's a 16yo drive an f250?). Then it should be expunged.

A lot of us have done dumb shit when we were kids. Shouldn't ruin his life for it... but there should be serious consequences.

Also, regarding the lawyers statement, he's his legal rep. What did you want him to say? "Johnny here is an avid drug user, and is excited to drop out of high school, so he can being trafficking as well!"
Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Look at that accident scene and tell me how he wasn't led away in cuffs. Hell 16 year-olds get arrested and led away in cuffs for shoplifting in my area. This kids biggest problem is power washing the brains off daddy's truck. [okay maybe there weren't brains - but close]

And...what do "college aspirations" have to do with anything?

I always thought that Texas was tough on crime.

A friend of mine's son was killed, he was crossing the road on an ATV and a truck hit him, it was a complete accident and he could not avoid hitting the boy (12 years old). He was drug tested and questioned even though the boy's father told them the truck wasn't able to avoid hitting his son. The man went free (as he should have), but he has had to live with that grief for the past 11 years now.

This teenager will also have to live with what he has done, he will never forget it.

ScottieGfunk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Firing a gun into a crowd vs driving down the street and unintentionally hitting people? I see the analogy. If it was your 16 year old kid, would you want his future ruined with felony charges? If a kid being a dumb ass kid accidentally hit me while I was riding in the road, I wouldn't want him charged with felonies. The idea that rolling coal is an assault is just fucking pathetic. What's next, an errant squirt gun shot hitting someone in the park is attempted murder?
Have you ever been coal rolled? As a cyclist, I have. I've also had a soda thrown at me and hit right in the face. It is assault, plain and simple. Once you're on the receiving end, you'll think different.

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
I think it's human nature to be competitive and one upping the next person is the result of that behavior. The proliferation of dumb stunts on social media and TV just increases what kids are exposed to and sets the bar pretty high (or low) for what they feel compelled to beat.

Compounding the problem is that kids these days have no responsibilities and far too many have everything just handed to them. In school they are no longer accountable for their poor behavior or actions and many of them just go home to play video games. It's not like it was in the past where kids were working on the farm, helping support their families, etc. So they don't get exposed to situations that help them to learn how to behave like an adult.

Our culture needs to return to the place where kids got their ass spanked when they misbehaved and they were expected to work menial jobs in their teens. Until then they'll continue to grow up to be entitled morons that smash pedestrians with the big truck their daddy handed them.
amen, amen, and can i get another amen

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
This teenager will also have to live with what he has done, he will never forget it.
Counterpoint: A teenager who thinks 'rolling coal' and harassment are forms of entertainment rather than crimes does not have the level of self-actualization and/or empathy required to feel remorse for his actions.

In order for one to perform this act, one has to either believe there will be no consequences for it, the consequences will not be applied to them in particular, or the consequences will be light enough so as not to ruin the rest of their life.

Color me jaded, but if he's not arrested nor put on trial and experiences first-hand the fact that his actions do indeed have consequences (regardless of the trial's verdict), I doubt the life-lesson here will be learned by him.

Sponsored

BMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Have you ever been coal rolled? As a cyclist, I have. I've also had a soda thrown at me and hit right in the face. It is assault, plain and simple. Once you're on the receiving end, you'll think different.
I am a road cyclist, and I've not been coal rolled because that's not so popular on the West Coast suburban areas where I ride. But riding outside the cities? Over the last 20 years:
  • Hit with full unopened soda can
  • Hit with milkshake
  • Intentionally ran into the (usually non-existent or debris strewn) shoulder a few times
  • Had extended pickup truck mirrors pass within inches
  • Had trucks swerve across the centerline and "pretend" to hit the group
  • Had extremely loud air horns honked as the truck passes
  • Had people slow down and yell swear words at me (or the group)
It's always a young guy (or guys) in a shitty old pickup truck. It's never a Jeep, or something nice, or an SUV, or a woman or an older man.

I gave up riding country roads. They're often long, straight, usually with plenty of passing room if I'm on the edge of the lane. But they have the above-mentioned intentional assholes who go out of their way to harass cyclists.

This kid? His father is connected, or he's a football player, or some such. "College aspirations" means young white male. Also: Texas small town.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You didn’t answer the question I posed based on your assertion that consequences without intent is an “accident” and shouldn’t be charged. You’re cool with me shooting you or yours and not being charged because I claim I didn’t mean to?

I don’t have children so I can’t credibly say what I’d do in this situation. If I did a piss poor job of raising and training my 16 year old to think that what this moron did was OK, shame on me as a crappy parent. If I protect him from the consequences of his poor choices then I’ve created another Ethan Couch. Double shame on me. Maybe his parents coulda/shoulda raised him with more sense than to wield a huge powerful vehicle as a weapon irresponsibly in an effort to act like a dick to other people? Ya think?

I didn’t say anything about shooting into a crowd. I said shooting toward you to frighten and intimidate you without meaning to actually shoot you. That’s a crime in and of itself. If I do shoot you, that’s another crime (crimes) whether I meant to hurt you or not.

It’s pretty forgiving of you to not hold a grudge against a kid who ruined your life and took away your health and ability to make a living. I probably am not as forgiving of being the victim of some jackass’s poor judgment and entitlement. Kudos to you sir, I aspire to be so noble.

Your squirt gun example is silly. It is not in any way able to injure or kill anyone. It’s a nuisance at best. A ticket or a warning. A real gun, or a Ford Superduty, are actual dangerous weapons in the hands of irresponsible people. So yes, I think it’s fine to charge someone with a crime for seriously hurting others by intentionally handling them recklessly or maliciously.
The article made no mention of multiple passes, if he was making laps harassing the cyclists that is a different story. At that point I could see charges being filed. The way I read it the kid lost control of his vehicle and unintentionally hit people, which I wouldn’t call a crime.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
No matter how we here try to analyze the accident it's time wasted. Too many details missing to be objective.

Rolling coal is something that has no good intent and everyone here knows it. I've experienced it from inside a vehicle while driving and was unable to see the road or cars in front of me. At that point it's dangerous and impossible for the coal roller to not be aware of this. At minimum its a gross polluter, at worst it may cause a deadly accident. And nowhere in between these points is it acceptable behavior. To me it's always intended to be annoying at least if not even aimed directly at a group of bicyclists. At some point a person on the receiving end is being assaulted and this we all know too.

If you think I'm wrong, go blow smoke from a cigarette in someone's face and see how well that goes for you.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The article made no mention of multiple passes, if he was making laps harassing the cyclists that is a different story. At that point I could see charges being filed. The way I read it the kid lost control of his vehicle and unintentionally hit people, which I wouldn’t call a crime.
There is an earlier article linked within the Jalopnik article where one of the other cyclist said he had almost been hit by the same kid earlier. That cyclist was behind the group of 6 that got hit, so it’s hard to tell if it was just further back.

Looks like it was a pretty big group training for Ironman.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
As kids a friend of mine was arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon ( a 57 Chevy) when he hit his x-girlfriends car while chasing her (minor damage). Another friend totaled daddy’s mustang in front of Folsom prison drunk, sending his girlfriend to the hospital and was given a ride to his sisters house without even a report being filed ( his grandfather was the mayor)

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Rolling Coal has to be the absolute stupidest thing you can do. On a modern truck it is also a super expensive thing to do. A former colleague of mine spent like 4K to do an emissions delete and tune on an F-250 so that he can roll coal. He also got a kick out of hearing the turbo whine, I don't get it the turbo is still spinning even if you can't hear the whine. I guess it is the same thing as a kid putting a card in their bicycle wheel to hear a noise. I guess some kids never grow up.

Bummer that parents these days give high powered vehicles to low powered drivers. I remember driving a 92 Geo Metro as a kid with the little donut tires could do 80mph pedal down going downhill.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Fair enough. As I said, this is in my local area and I’ve probably read and watched more news reports than the average person, that’s where I read what the eyewitness reported. And I agree that if it was a simple accident of a youngster making a driving mistake due to lack of skill or experience, that is completely different.

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Firing a gun into a crowd vs driving down the street and unintentionally hitting people? I see the analogy. If it was your 16 year old kid, would you want his future ruined with felony charges? If a kid being a dumb ass kid accidentally hit me while I was riding in the road, I wouldn't want him charged with felonies. The idea that rolling coal is an assault is just fucking pathetic. What's next, an errant squirt gun shot hitting someone in the park is attempted murder?
He circled back after passing them, then hit them while he was attempting to get closer so he could cover them in exhaust.

He was harassing them with his vehicle, a deadly object, before he had the “accident.” Pretty sure his intent was clear, and crimes were committed.
Sponsored