Rockjock Tow Bar Mounting Kit

RKissane

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUW
I have seen pictures of the older Currie Baseplate for JK Jeeps and they look pretty good. But it appears that Rockjock changed the design for the JL Wrangler and it looks like it may be totally different because it looks more of a square flat piece. This Tow bar replaces the bottom panel under the bumper and is made of steel.

Has anybody done this on a JL Wrangler and what are your thoughts about this assembly?

Does anybody have any pictures with this installed? I have not been able to locate any pictures on the Web showing this new style unit installed to get an idea of how it looks.

I am more leaning towards the Maximus tow loops but the older Currie plate looked fairly good, just not sure about this new style.

Thanks
Ray
Sponsored

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
I ordered one and it was much beefier than i anticipated, really well made. I really liked the fact that it was very easy to install and remove. My thought was i could tow the jeep somewhere and then quickly remove it and reinstall the original skid to trail ride, therefore not having it "sticking out". The problem for me was that it didn't fit on the jeep with my winch plate. Therefore i returned it.
I went with the Maximus tow rings instead. While they work and i am happy with them i wish i would have simply modified the Currie. This is only due to the fact that i trail ride more than I tow the jeep and the Maximus is more time consuming to remove/install.

If you are not worried about any type of ground clearance issues then you really can not go wrong with either.

On a side note I installed the Cooltech towing harness and have been very happy with it as well.

Any questions just let me know. Good Luck!

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I cut and welded the plate in for the umbilical. Have had no issues with it.

OP
OP

RKissane

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUW
Thanks Nutmeg, that what I was looking for.

Did you have a steel bumper or the standard plastic one?

Also what type of braking system are you using for towing?

Ray

Sponsored

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Mine is a Sport S with a plastic bumper since that was my only choice. RJ makes a model for both. I am using a older Brake Buddy since that is what I had from my previous toad and it has worked for me. Installed a outlet under the seat for it. Mount is a piece of aluminum angle using the seat bolt to fasten and the front of the track to stabilize. Angle on that leg cut to clear seat movement and so to have clear access to outlet. Note the factory outlet from the factory is key energized. Initially used a stand alone light system (pictured) but install a Hopkins 56210 Plug and Play once they became available as the stand alone was a bit inconvenient in use. Blue Ox appears to now be offering that system also. Took a pic so you can see the angle of the plate a little better.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rockjock Tow Bar Mounting Kit Currie angle
Jeep Wrangler JL Rockjock Tow Bar Mounting Kit Outlet Bracket
Jeep Wrangler JL Rockjock Tow Bar Mounting Kit Tow Tailights

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Had one on my JK and really liked it. Just picked up my 2020 JL yesterday and ordered the Rockjock for it. I'm really happy with their quality so I'm expecting the JL version will be good too.

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Mounted mine yesterday, much easier to install than on the JK. Take the bumper off, use existing bolts and attach it to the bumper then reinstall bumper.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rockjock Tow Bar Mounting Kit jose

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I had the Currie on my JK and it worked great. But it wasn't available yet when I set the new JT up to flat tow. So, I went with the Maximus-3 tow loops.

The Currie has the mounts closer together than other tow bar mounts. It didn't seem to matter on the JK, just wondering why they do that?

Jeep Wrangler JL Rockjock Tow Bar Mounting Kit JK currie blue ox

Jeep Wrangler JL Rockjock Tow Bar Mounting Kit bo avail
Sponsored