First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The biggest difference between them is the way they operate.

The part-time transfer case (NV241OR) is chain-driven vs the full-time transfer case (MP3022) that is clutch-based.
Yikes. The clutches have been an issue in prior Selct Trac transfer cases. I would be very cautious on this for off-road use.
Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Do you know of any durability differences between the two setups?
I don't have any first hand info. My opinion is the part-time system is a better choice if you want to a trail rig to go off road a lot because it is less complex and thus less to go wrong. The full-time system is a better choice if you want something to get you to and from the ski slopes as you won't be stressing the driveline turning on cleared spots on the road. When the road conditions are nasty both systems work fine. The trouble with a part-time system is when the sun has dried some sections of the road but others are in the shade and still slick, especially on curving roads.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Been testing the 4wd full time a lot in my '21 Rubi during the last few weeks of rain / snow events in the Seattle area. Works great. Never felt like I needed to switch to 4wd part time. I took my Chevy HD truck out a few times, too and needed 4wd part time several times in the snow.
So you have the Full time Rock Track in your Rubicon, does it come with CVs on the front axles or U-joints? I have a 2020 and would have sprung for the FT Rock Track if it was available. My Wife's sahara has the FT T-case. Smart move if you drive in the snow.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Per the FT, if your smart you drive on road in 2 HI all the time, engaged directly, no clutches involved. Save the 4Auto for conditions where you may need it but dont want to switch in and out. Once the bad weather is gone, slap it back in 2HI. This will save wear and tear on the clutches. Plus you can off road in 4PT or 4 lo.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yikes. The clutches have been an issue in prior Selct Trac transfer cases. I would be very cautious on this for off-road use.
The first time I took my JL on a moderate trail it was on Full-Time: it stunk of burnt clutch.

I learned my lesson. I have been back several times: I make sure to engaged into Part-Time; no issues. It performs just like the Part-Time Command-Trac did in my prior Wranglers.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I own a automatic '19 JLR 2.0 now. My Rubicon is a daily driver in Chicago where it rains and snows. We had record snow last winter and my Rubicon did well. I only had to shift in to 4-high a couple dozen times when snow was 10" -15"+ deep on unplowed side streets and alleys. The city eventually plows so I was in the default 2-high 90% of the time. I do drive into some remote areas in the country and mild trails. I plan on visiting more Nation Parks.

I am thinking of buying a new automatic JLR. I am still on the fence about engine choice. I have the 2.0 eTorque now and love it. The 2.0T is not available with eTorque anymore. I might try the 3.6 eTorque.

l also I noticed this new option.

What is everyone's opinion on the 4:1 Rock-Trac Heavy-Duty Full-Time 4 wheel-drive system?

Pros and Cons?

Order it or not?
Sponsored