Sponsored

Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
I hope its okay to hijack your thread. I have 21 Rubi XR on a train somewhere. Taking delivery soon. 9 time Wrangler owner. The wife has always complained about getting in out of my 2018 JL Rubi. No lift but she's vertically challenged. The XR is going to be a little higher. I'm leaning towards the RSE power sliders. Amp Research is defiantly out. That pinch seem showing is bad ugly.
Couple of questions....
1. Nobody messes with the doors off override switch kit, right? 4 separate switches. Just not worth it. The one switch is fine for manual operation. I go doors off a lot but figure I'd just manual off when doors are off. What are you guys doing?
2. RSE includes a manual switch and it looks easy to wire in the Gen. 3. Has anyone used one of the factory aux. switches instead for cleaner look?
Thanks-Tod in Arkansas

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues 1632363831432
Sponsored

OP
OP
cball508

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
Received the bump stops yesterday. Went to put them on and the slider wouldn't fully close. Contacted the company and they said they sent gen 2, not gen 3 size by accident. Have to wait for the next set to come in.

20210922_172313.jpg

20210922_172531.jpg

20210922_172441.jpg

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I hope its okay to hijack your thread. I have 21 Rubi XR on a train somewhere. Taking delivery soon. 9 time Wrangler owner. The wife has always complained about getting in out of my 2018 JL Rubi. No lift but she's vertically challenged. The XR is going to be a little higher. I'm leaning towards the RSE power sliders. Amp Research is defiantly out. That pinch seem showing is bad ugly.
Couple of questions....
1. Nobody messes with the doors off override switch kit, right? 4 separate switches. Just not worth it. The one switch is fine for manual operation. I go doors off a lot but figure I'd just manual off when doors are off. What are you guys doing?
2. RSE includes a manual switch and it looks easy to wire in the Gen. 3. Has anyone used one of the factory aux. switches instead for cleaner look?
Thanks-Tod in Arkansas
I bought the doors off switches but haven't installed them yet.

So, you're saying that you'll just switch off the steps when you have the doors off and not use the steps, right? I don't think there's any other choice for doors off. It seems you have to install the switches to use the steps with the doors off or just not use the steps. If you could figure a way to position the magnet over the door sensor to where it could easily be removed, I'd be interested in trying it. You got me thinking about it now. Maybe place a metal shim on the door frame next to the sensor. When you take the doors off, place a magnet on the shim so that it also covers the sensor. When you want to get out, just pull off the magnet and replace it to make the step go back up. I wouldn't want that magnet to somehow come off when I'm off-road. Also would want to carry extra magents.

I was also wondering about using an aux switch but couldn't find any advice on that so just went with the switch in the kit since it was so simple and straight-forward. The light on that switch is pretty bright so I put some tinting decals on it to dim it down.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I bought the doors off switches but haven't installed them yet.

So, you're saying that you'll just switch off the steps when you have the doors off and not use the steps, right? I don't think there's any other choice for doors off. It seems you have to install the switches to use the steps with the doors off or just not use the steps. If you could figure a way to position the magnet over the door sensor to where it could easily be removed, I'd be interested in trying it. You got me thinking about it now. Maybe place a metal shim on the door frame next to the sensor. When you take the doors off, place a magnet on the shim so that it also covers the sensor. When you want to get out, just pull off the magnet and replace it to make the step go back up. I wouldn't want that magnet to somehow come off when I'm off-road. Also would want to carry extra magents.

I was also wondering about using an aux switch but couldn't find any advice on that so just went with the switch in the kit since it was so simple and straight-forward. The light on that switch is pretty bright so I put some tinting decals on it to dim it down.
I found a simple solution. I found a couple small magnets that will stick to the body in the door opening and i just move it to activate the steps. See the pics below.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues IMG_4530
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues IMG_4531
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues IMG_4532

Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
OP
OP
cball508

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
Just an update with my slider. The left one has now developed a strange noise along with the closing clanking. Sent the video to RSE today and they said they would have to have their engineers take a look at it 🤷
New noise 1

New noise 2

Last week:

Last edited:

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Just an update with my slider. The left one has now developed a strange noise along with the closing clanking. Sent the video to RSE today and they said they would have to have their engineers take a look at it 🤷
New noise 1

New noise 2

Last week:

Yep, mine makes that groaning noise also. I figure it's the spring. Wasn't too concerned about it but was going to try a couple sprays like wd40 or something to quiet it down. I suppose I should call RSE and report that I'm having the same issues. I'm pretty sure they realize you're not the only one with these problems but the more voices the more likely we'll get a response. I'll try to call them today.

OP
OP
cball508

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
Yep, mine makes that groaning noise also. I figure it's the spring. Wasn't too concerned about it but was going to try a couple sprays like wd40 or something to quiet it down. I suppose I should call RSE and report that I'm having the same issues. I'm pretty sure they realize you're not the only one with these problems but the more voices the more likely we'll get a response. I'll try to call them today.
That would be great. Let me know how you make out. They will probably ask that you send a video to their support address

Sponsored

OP
OP
cball508

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
I received an email from RSE today. Both of us agreed that the slider should be replaced and they are sending me a replacement. Although I have had some problems, it is nice to see a company that stands behind their product like they do. I would suggest if people are having similar issues to reach out to them. They have been very helpful throughout the process.

Fleet

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 firecracker, 23 trailboss DD, too many to list
I ordered the Gen 3 RSE sliders 3 1/2 months ago through Quadratec and still no word when. Anybody having better luck getting theirs?
Received my Gen 3 sliders this week. Ordered June 1 from 4WD. Contacted RSE 2 months ago and was told they were at 8 weeks turn around, obviously not the case!

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I received an email from RSE today. Both of us agreed that the slider should be replaced and they are sending me a replacement. Although I have had some problems, it is nice to see a company that stands behind their product like they do. I would suggest if people are having similar issues to reach out to them. They have been very helpful throughout the process.
Did they base this on the issue where the step would not go down or the sound or both? It's been a couple weeks since mine has failed to go down.

I was hoping the fix would've been simpler than replacing the slider but I'm glad they're willing to do that.

FINN 2.0

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR. 1979 Ford 150.
Received my Gen 3 sliders this week. Ordered June 1 from 4WD. Contacted RSE 2 months ago and was told they were at 8 weeks turn around, obviously not the case!
Thanks, I ordered in early June too. Demand and material shortages I suppose.

OP
OP
cball508

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
Did they base this on the issue where the step would not go down or the sound or both? It's been a couple weeks since mine has failed to go down.

I was hoping the fix would've been simpler than replacing the slider but I'm glad they're willing to do that.
I'm not really sure what it was specifically, but I have had a few issues with the electrical connection, banging while closing, then the ratcheting sound. It was getting a little jerky too. This is what they told me after we went back and forth multiple times

Screenshot_20211005-091159_Gmail.jpg
Sponsored