Rock crawling with 2.0T Non E-torque?

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I've got a 2020 JLUR with 2.0 on 37" Baja Boss. Ran several 6-7 rated trails in sand hollow and moab and I'm happy with it. In 4 low, power is delivered smoothly.

As for the engine brake comment, I don't recall needing to touch the brakes at any point while going down steep grades. I've driven it through northern AZ, NM, UT, and NV so not exactly flat land. Our old Grand Caravan with the 3.6 would overheat the brakes on some of those routes.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NewbieJon

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Hey all. Thanks for all your feedback. I did two test drives each of both the 2.0T and the V6 eTorque. 1st drives were too short, the second ones were both over 2 miles.

Sadly no dealer here in SoCal lets people test them on the freeway. But I was able to drive on clear roads, and feel the engines.

I decided to go with the V6. I really noticed the turbo lag on the second test drive, and it does annoy me a little. The 2.0 is a good engine and seems like it is a little faster if I floor it, but I like the V6 better.

Superchips_Mrktg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I'd like to chime in here with a bit of input on the 2.0L as we've done some rock crawling/off-road testing with our 2020 development JL with what I'd consider good feedback. In stock form it isn't a bad little powerplant, plenty of pep. Obviously a lift and larger tires takes some of that away, but with the proper gearing for the tires they work quite well.

The one thing I would like to mention is that Jeep programmed quite a bit of torque limiting into the ECM when you're in low range and it really has a negative affect in your usable power range. We were able to work through a lot of this, safely, with our Flashpaq tuning so you can actually use the power the engine is trying to produce when off-roading. It makes a HUGE different in how the 2.0L performs in those situation. We also made changes in how that 8-speed work in conjunction with the enigne offer a little better overall drivability and pedal feel from the drivers seat.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to chime in here with a bit of input on the 2.0L as we've done some rock crawling/off-road testing with our 2020 development JL with what I'd consider good feedback. In stock form it isn't a bad little powerplant, plenty of pep. Obviously a lift and larger tires takes some of that away, but with the proper gearing for the tires they work quite well.

The one thing I would like to mention is that Jeep programmed quite a bit of torque limiting into the ECM when you're in low range and it really has a negative affect in your usable power range. We were able to work through a lot of this, safely, with our Flashpaq tuning so you can actually use the power the engine is trying to produce when off-roading. It makes a HUGE different in how the 2.0L performs in those situation. We also made changes in how that 8-speed work in conjunction with the enigne offer a little better overall drivability and pedal feel from the drivers seat.
@Superchips_Mrktg How does the 2.0 compare to the 3.6 in 4low stock? Is the 3.6 actually better in that scenario? I had 3 of the 3.6 JLURs and none were great in 4 low or deep sand etc. For my next one Im about to order I plan to get one of the other options. Originally i was leaning towards the Eco-Diesel, but now the 4XE. I worry of they limit the torque in the regular 2.0, they may be ecen worse in the 4xe since it produces even more

Superchips_Mrktg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
@Superchips_Mrktg How does the 2.0 compare to the 3.6 in 4low stock? Is the 3.6 actually better in that scenario? I had 3 of the 3.6 JLURs and none were great in 4 low or deep sand etc. For my next one Im about to order I plan to get one of the other options. Originally i was leaning towards the Eco-Diesel, but now the 4XE. I worry of they limit the torque in the regular 2.0, they may be ecen worse in the 4xe since it produces even more
We haven't been able to get our hands on the 4XE yet, so we can't comment on that one. But the 3.6L definitely has some torque limiting as well in 4-low that we've been able to work around in tuning to improve the odd-road capabilities.
Sponsored