RK RRD Spec TT Shocks

Codyrush14

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Does anyone have any experience with the Rock Krawler RRD Spec TT shocks (the $80 ones)? I do not do serious off-roading, just light to medium trails and mud. I DD my Jeep 75 miles a day on highways/interstate so ride quality is the most important aspect to me. Hoping these shocks provide a soft ride and less bumpy/jerky compared to the RC springs/shocks.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have any experience with the Rock Krawler RRD Spec TT shocks (the $80 ones)? I do not do serious off-roading, just light to medium trails and mud. I DD my Jeep 75 miles a day on highways/interstate so ride quality is the most important aspect to me. Hoping these shocks provide a soft ride and less bumpy/jerky compared to the RC springs/shocks.
Reach out to @stil2low, I think he’s running those.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Alot of variables can contribute to a rougher ride after lifting. What RC springs/shocks are you running...have you confirmed with RC that they are meant to be paired? Have you talked with your installer or ridden in other lifted JL's with similiar setups by different companies to confirm you're ride quality is noticeably worse? I have read multiple examples where people spend meaningful $ changing shocks only to be upset bc they dont feel a meaningful improvement and later find out their coils are simply stiffer, have a loose trackbar or steering component(s), need more caster...etc. I would look into those areas first.

As a data point, I have run these TT shocks for 15k daily driver/wknd warrior miles with RK's 2.5" triple rate springs and another company's progressive springs that added more lift. These combinations have ridden soft as you might expect for a twin tube shock and have been a good budget friendly option for daily driver/wknd warrior while allowing better flex than most other shocks.(about 12" travel in front and 13.5" in rear which is a good bit more travel than the mopar lift fox shocks) They touched the frame near full extension bc they weren't offset enough where it bolts into the frame. I flipped the outer bushing/spacer to the inside and it moved the top mount about 3/4" further away from the frame...it has helped when flexing. If you have looked into the areas discussed in the first paragraph and still want new shocks, I would find out your current RC spring rate and call RK and ask how their shocks would pair with your coils. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Codyrush14

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Alot of variables can contribute to a rougher ride after lifting. What RC springs/shocks are you running...have you confirmed with RC that they are meant to be paired? Have you talked with your installer or ridden in other lifted JL's with similiar setups by different companies to confirm you're ride quality is noticeably worse? I have read multiple examples where people spend meaningful $ changing shocks only to be upset bc they dont feel a meaningful improvement and later find out their coils are simply stiffer, have a loose trackbar or steering component(s), need more caster...etc. I would look into those areas first.

As a data point, I have run these TT shocks for 15k daily driver/wknd warrior miles with RK's 2.5" triple rate springs and another company's progressive springs that added more lift. These combinations have ridden soft as you might expect for a twin tube shock and have been a good budget friendly option for daily driver/wknd warrior while allowing better flex than most other shocks.(about 12" travel in front and 13.5" in rear which is a good bit more travel than the mopar lift fox shocks) They touched the frame near full extension bc they weren't offset enough where it bolts into the frame. I flipped the outer bushing/spacer to the inside and it moved the top mount about 3/4" further away from the frame...it has helped when flexing. If you have looked into the areas discussed in the first paragraph and still want new shocks, I would find out your current RC spring rate and call RK and ask how their shocks would pair with your coils. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the reply! I should have given more information. The RC kit I’m running is their full 2.5” suspension lift, so it’s the springs and shocks they pair and sell together (n3). The only installer in my area only sells RC, so not much comparison there. I live in small-town Texas where most people drive trucks, and I’m the only Jeeper in my circles. So unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to ride in other peoples rigs to compare (which sucks because doing that would probably answer my questions).

As far as what I would buy, I’m wanting the full series 1 kit from RK to pair with their TT shocks. I like that setup because it addresses caster and track bar, which my kit currently does not (and I know I need it, caster is at 4 even). So I’m hoping the quality of RK, along with caster correction, will overall give me a much smoother/easier ride when pairing their shocks/springs/components (I want suspension components to be the same brand ideally).

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Thank you for the reply! I should have given more information. The RC kit I’m running is their full 2.5” suspension lift, so it’s the springs and shocks they pair and sell together (n3). The only installer in my area only sells RC, so not much comparison there. I live in small-town Texas where most people drive trucks, and I’m the only Jeeper in my circles. So unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to ride in other peoples rigs to compare (which sucks because doing that would probably answer my questions).

As far as what I would buy, I’m wanting the full series 1 kit from RK to pair with their TT shocks. I like that setup because it addresses caster and track bar, which my kit currently does not (and I know I need it, caster is at 4 even). So I’m hoping the quality of RK, along with caster correction, will overall give me a much smoother/easier ride when pairing their shocks/springs/components (I want suspension components to be the same brand ideally).
Also... other variables matter such as tires and tire pressure. How far from Houston do you live? @TTEChris has a highly regarded offroad shop there that lifts a ton of JL's and could definitely help.

OP
OP

Codyrush14

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Also... other variables matter such as tires and tire pressure. How far from Houston do you live? @TTEChris has a highly regarded offroad shop there that lifts a ton of JL's and could definitely help.
I have AT tires that are a bit rougher riding, so I completely get that. I am not by any means expecting this to drive like my scat I traded in... however I do know it could be improved. In reality, I could probably just add LCA's and a track bar to my current build and be happy. But at that point, it's not a whole lot more money to go ahead and upgrade to a better lift kit which includes those components. I also did not get a full 2.5" out of my RC kit, so that's another reason for wanting to change. I would like a little more gap between tires and fenders.

As far as @TTEChris, his shop and work looks AMAZING, but sadly I am over 5 hours away from him (I live on the Arkansas/Texas border).
Sponsored