Sponsored

Rhino Rack Backbone installation

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Folks

I will be installing my RR backbone system with the quick disconnect legs next week. Just wanted to post to see if you guys have any tips + tricks or watch outs ?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
Click search and type Rhino rack backbone.... dozen of post about 12 pages, google is your friend too

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Folks

I will be installing my RR backbone system with the quick disconnect legs next week. Just wanted to post to see if you guys have any tips + tricks or watch outs ?

Thanks in advance.
How did the install go for you? I just installed mine yesterday. Went pretty smooth. A set of step drill bits helped keep the holes nice and centered when enlarging them, rather than using a large bit to enlarge a small hole. I had two different step bits that went up to 1/2 inch, which was perfect for this project.

When I drilled the middle bracket holes, I found NOT to use the aluminum guides if you want the holes in the right spot. For some reason, When I used the guide, the bits actually wandered, go figure. They didnt on the front set of holes, but the middles went much better by seeing the bit actually touching the hard top.

OP
OP
NewTXJL

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
How did the install go for you? I just installed mine yesterday. Went pretty smooth. A set of step drill bits helped keep the holes nice and centered when enlarging them, rather than using a large bit to enlarge a small hole. I had two different step bits that went up to 1/2 inch, which was perfect for this project.

When I drilled the middle bracket holes, I found NOT to use the aluminum guides if you want the holes in the right spot. For some reason, When I used the guide, the bits actually wandered, go figure. They didnt on the front set of holes, but the middles went much better by seeing the bit actually touching the hard top.
Thanks for the tips. I haven’t gotten to it yet. Likely this week.

Sponsored

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
I should mention there is an issue with their instructions on where to place the legs /cross bars under the frame. You will notice (at least on the one that came with my pioneer platform) it shows the first crossbar at the rear uses the factory holes. The middle one shows to drill a hole 633mm from the rear holes. The front crossbar then says to drill 663mm from the middle holes you drill. The problem is one set of my instructions showed this second distance to be 704 mm I believe, which was an error in the instructions. That was incorrect and would not have worked. I would recommend drilling the holes slightly larger or at least try to make them ovals in case you have to do minor adjustments to line everything up. Another tip is use the metal horizontal pieces for the backbone to measure the distance between the holes on your Pioneer rack because those will be identical and the horizontal rails will prevent you from being off at all.

It was difficult for me to find butyl caulking so I used butyl tape which was much easier to come across. I believe it was also much cleaner to work with and I found it was perfect if I used the right size pieces and molded them to the shape I needed.

And finally I found the easiest way to place the platform on top of the rack was to have all of the feet be slightly loose so you could slide them into position then place them into the Footers and then do the final tightening. It is a little difficult getting the Allen wrench under there at least on my low profile legs but it was so much easier than trying to get the legs perfect before putting it on to the Jeep.

20191222_160635.jpg
If your bolts securing the legs to the Footers do not thread in easily slide the feet ever-so-slightly and they will. One Forum member has pictures of his bolts stripped out in the rear but I believe that probably happened from one of the bolts getting cross threaded on installation because it seemed very easy for this to occur. If I scooted the leg or foot whatever you want to call it ever-so-slightly it would allow the bolt to thread in perfectly
Sponsored