Sponsored

Reset Power Inverter?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Does anyone know where the manual reset is located?

from page 123 of the 2020 Wrangler Owners Manual:

"The power inverter is designed with built-in
overload protection. If the power rating of
150 Watts is exceeded, the power inverter
automatically shuts down. Once the electrical
device has been removed from the outlet, the
inverter should automatically reset. If the power
rating exceeds approximately 170 Watts, the
power inverter may have to be reset manually
."

I found a few references to other non Wrangler Jeep vehicles which describe a button on the dash, but my Wrangler doesn't seem to have anything like that.

I looked at the fuse map but may have missed it.

I waited too long to read the manual and learn that the outlet is only capable of powering 150 watts. Now I would like to learn how to do a manual reset, if possible, for the next time I wonder where the manual reset is.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe just pull the fuse? F110 is what I find.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
Thank you for the suggestion of looking up F110.

I will check that fuse. At 30 amps, it is rated for 360 watts, which is a wide safety margin compared to the 170 watts shut off rating that is suggested. I would have expected a 15 amp fuse or breaker.

Thank you!

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
It's been a while but I finally had a chance to check Fuse F110. Although my power inverter seems to have tripped a "breaker" the F110 fuse was not open. It appears conductive and I am back to searching for a breaker at some other location.

Does anyone have any info about the reset button mentioned in the owner's manual?

Thank you!

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
@JeepCares is there a chance that you can make inquiries with the appropriate parties to determine if the statement published in the 2020 Wrangler Owners Manual actually pertains to a 2020 Wrangler and then relay the correct answer so that the question may be resolved?

."

I have been trying to find a manual reset on my 2020 Wrangle JLU Rubicon, but have yet to locate it.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares is there a chance that you can make inquiries with the appropriate parties to determine if the statement published in the 2020 Wrangler Owners Manual actually pertains to a 2020 Wrangler and then relay the correct answer so that the question may be resolved?

."

I have been trying to find a manual reset on my 2020 Wrangle JLU Rubicon, but have yet to locate it.

Thank you.
Hi @JeepScares,

We are unable to provide information regarding DIY practices for your vehicle. Please visit your local Jeep dealer if you have mechanical concerns with your Jeep Wrangler that need to be addressed.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi @JeepCares

Thank you for the reply.

In the JKU and other model vehicles the manual reset function is a button found on the dash, which may or may not be regarded as a DIY solution.

All I am asking is if there is button somewhere in the JLUR that is similar to the other Jeep vehicles.

If the manual reset referred to in the 2020 Jeep Owners manual is indeed a service procedure that is intended to be performed at the dealer then I am fine with that. I just want to know if that is or is not the case.

The 2020 owners manual does not seem to clearly describe the situation.

Perhaps it should say something like:

power inverter may have to be reset by your dealer
."

Are you permitted to clarify the intent of the statement in the manual?

Thank you!

Last edited:

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Did you check under the back seats? I read the JTs were by the steering column but all I saw under there was the seat heater and alpine amp.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thank you for the suggestion.

I think I looked everywhere that would seem accessible, but I will give it another try.

I am beginning to think the Owner's Manual leaves something for the imagination.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Have you tried a total disconnect From both batteries?

Makes you want to hit it with the manual to reset it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thank you for the suggestion.

FWIW I was ignorant of the wattage rating and tripped the breaker a few weekends ago by pulling 170 watts, and after a few days it seemed to auto reset itself.

I read the manual after the fact, and did not see anything that explicitly describes the location of said manual reset, so I thought it would be wise to endeavor to learn where it is or if it isn't.

I will not mind learning that it is not intended to be reset by the owner, but I would appreciate learning this by seeing some sort of explicit statement on the behalf of Jeep, rather than interpreting the obscure statement provided in the manual.

Thank you.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
From what I have discovered, the inverter can handle much more than 170 watts. I use it to run an air blower to fill my camping mattresses on every camping trip, and that thing is a beast. It does however trip off the inverter on the first few "cold" start cycles.

The trick to understanding the inverter on our JL's is that the plug *IS* the switch. Literally, inside of the outlet is a switch. The inverter only turns on when a plug is inserted. So, when the manual says to reset the inverter, it's as simple as removing whatever cord from the 110v outlet for a few seconds and plugging it back in again. This is how I get the inverter to run my air blower.

I am not aware of any other reset switches. As others have mentioned, there is however a fuse in the engine bay PDC (fuse box) for it.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
...The trick to understanding the inverter on our JL's is that the plug *IS* the switch. Literally, inside of the outlet is a switch. The inverter only turns on when a plug is inserted. So, when the manual says to reset the inverter, it's as simple as removing whatever cord from the 110v outlet for a few seconds and plugging it back in again....
Thank you very much for contributing to this thread.

This explains what I experienced. I ran an air mattress's blower motor to fill it in the evening and it seemed to work without any issue what so ever.

The next morning I started the Jeep and the inverter would not power the mattress's blower to deflate it. In retrospect I realize that I did not unplug and plug the outlet, I just cycled the switch on the blower.

I distracted myself by reading the manual, concluded I had caused an over load, and started looking for the reset. We continued our trip using an inverter that connects directly to the battery and did not think about it further.

After inquiring here I checked fuse number f110a and it was ok.

Then I got around to using my multi-meter with its pin probes to check for power. The outlet "felt" funny and unfamiliar when I inserted my probes and the circuit appeared to be dead.

At this point I tried a simple outlet tester, the kind with the three lights, and it lit up but reported a floating ground, which made sense because the ground is floating.

So, finally I plugged a small low wattage nightstand lamp into the outlet and it worked fine.

Apparently, the outlet fixed itself as if by "magic".

Your explanation simplifies my understanding of what happened, and has been very helpful.

Thank you.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepScares,

I have reached out to an internal source for additional information. The directions were as follows:
1. Unplug and discontinue device causing the overload
2. Restart vehicle - a manual reset on a JL is an ignition cycle

Hope this helps.

Darlene
Jeep Cares