Reprogramming JLU after lift & larger tires

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
If you just want the basics, a local shop might be the more affordable option. I run the tazer just because I need to stay current on it, but my laptop can easily do tires, tpms and gear ratios

brett
How do you do tpms and tires from your laptop? Can DM if easier. Would appreciate any insight. I haven't been able to find much and I'm not sure i'm ready to bite the bullet on the Tazer just yet.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
How do you do tpms and tires from your laptop? Can DM if easier. Would appreciate any insight. I haven't been able to find much and I'm not sure i'm ready to bite the bullet on the Tazer just yet.
I’m and open book. I can’t say it would pencil out for you unless you’re a shop but the program is by hp tuners. You’ll need the obd2 mvpi2 and the smart access cable. I think there is a consumer product out but I’m not familiar with it. We have the tazer on our personal JL but with the exception of not being able to turn off the ess I prefer the laptop adjustment

Brett

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I’m and open book. I can’t say it would pencil out for you unless you’re a shop but the program is by hp tuners. You’ll need the obd2 mvpi2 and the smart access cable. I think there is a consumer product out but I’m not familiar with it. We have the tazer on our personal JL but with the exception of not being able to turn off the ess I prefer the laptop adjustment

Brett
That works. I was looking at hptuners earlier. I had only seen one other forum member mention it so I wasn't sure about it. Thanks.

cocaine_white

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Very over rated product with NO support after the purchase. Would avoid like a herd of zombies.
They have a number to text for tech support and they've always wrote me back. Ive installed a couple different programmers including the aev but the tazer is the only one id recommended. Especially if you have a Rubicon

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I’ve read you have to unmarry the tazar if u take it to the shop. What is the reason for this? Isn’t the Tazar allowing the Jeep to run how it should, or am I missing something

You would need to remove the Tazer before going to the dealer, this was just confirmed when they updated my profile and software for the new iron steering gear. The dealers are instructed to scan your vehicle each time you go in for service and FCA has access to these 'snapshot' scans...
That said, most of us on this forum are not overly concerned about 'voiding factory warranty', evidenced by the sheer number of modifications we do :) Also, there are defiantly dealers who are 'mod friendly' and those who are not...
However it is probably not a good idea to wave a 'red flag' at FCA so the prudent thing to do is remove a Tazer before going in for any service...

If you just want to correct for larger tires, Jeep dealers have a program from FCA where they measure your new tires and reprogram accordingly, this information is then added on your VIN profile. Most dealers charge $125.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I’ve read you have to unmarry the tazar if u take it to the shop. What is the reason for this? Isn’t the Tazar allowing the Jeep to run how it should, or am I missing something
Michael,

I've answered this same question in other threads but here goes again.

Yes you always need to unmarry the Tazer when you take your Jeep in for service. The primary reason is it keeps all calibrations in sync with the current software.

When you first 'marry' the Tazer it makes a backup copy of the original calibrations (the changable values such as tire diameter, gear ratio, TPMS thresholds, etc) and associates the vehicle's VIN to this Tazer. Once this is accomplished, you're now free to recalibrate any value the Tazer supports.

However, if you forget to 'unmarry' and the shop unkowingly reflashes your Powertrain Control Module's software for whatever reason, it will then unceremoniously overwrite your current (married) settings. Potentially worse, the new software could entirely reorganize it's calibration memory structure such that when you go to unmarry, the Tazer's original backed up calibrations will be reinstalled. Perhaps possibly now even corrupting the newer software's memory layout. If anything changes between the new and the old software that is no longer compatible, BIFF-BAM-BOP (holy crap batman) you're now in real trouble. This could be anything from simply reverting back old settings to potentially rendering the vehicle totally inoperable.

If you ALWAYS unmarry before the shop can reflash, the next time you remarry it will simply take a new backup copy of the new (reflashed) data along with any new memory organization of the current calibration values.

Think of the word 'marry' in the truest sense of its meaning. If you were ever to let your Powertrain Controller be reprogrammed while 'married', you would effectively be commiting adultery (and possibly polygamy) to your Jeep. When you eventually unmarry, you could very likely then be really fuck'd, in the worst sense of that word's meaning.

Just don't cheat. One happy monogamous relationship between your Jeep and it's calibrations at a time. As in life, it may seem like a good idea at the time but it will most enevitably burn you in the long term.

[Edit]
I'm speaking just from a technical perspective. Not even mentioning the potential political fallout from the dealership as Mike just pointed out above.

Just DON'T do it... Even if you only use the non-live features of the Tazer and leave your Security Gateway (SGW) Module plugged in, never (ever) forget to unmarry it.

Jay
Sponsored

Last edited: