Removing Rear Upper Control Arm

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
On 2021 JLUR is it required to remove the gas tank to access the rear upper control arm (passenger side) at the frame? I couldn't find any access point for the bolt that is inside the frame.

Note: this is just for my pre-planning (making sure I have all the tools and know what I am doing, etc).
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
On 2021 JLUR is it required to remove the gas tank to access the rear upper control arm (passenger side) at the frame? I couldn't find any access point for the bolt that is inside the frame.

Note: this is just for my pre-planning (making sure I have all the tools and know what I am doing, etc).
That should be a flag nut, they are a pain in the ass sometimes getting it back on but you don’t have to remove the gas tank.

OP
OP
engineXI

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
perfect. Thanks for the response. It will be connected to that tab that is hanging down from the frame.

OP
OP
engineXI

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
any advice on how to get that nut back on? some tip? Spent the better part of an hour on it before breaking until tomorrow.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
any advice on how to get that nut back on? some tip? Spent the better part of an hour on it before breaking until tomorrow.
Lol…. I haven’t figured out an easy way, I’ve done it so many times it’s not as big an issue for me anymore but still a PITA..

Try to put it on without the arm so you can see how the flag is oriented, that will help you hold it in the right position with the arm on.

My first couple of times doing it I used fast dry silicone caulking on the nut…..put the bolt in without the arm on and pull the nut up against the frame let it sit for 30 minutes, then hold the flag so the nut doesn’t break loose and carefully remove the bolt.

Something I learned from NASCAR, they glue on the lug nuts before the race for quick tire changes. …..;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
engineXI

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
ok. those are both some good tips. I think I just need to play with it more and maybe with the arm off. Glueing it a pretty good idea and if I cant get it done at lunch, then after work i may just do that.

OP
OP
engineXI

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
Mr. Roky. You sir, are an American hero. After I took the arm off and tried it without the arm installed, I realized that it was actually the weight of the arm or the joint not being perfectly straight (or probably both) that was pressing down on the bolt. What I ended up doing was using my thumb to lift the joint up so that the bolt could more easily turn then twist the bolt with my fingers, and that did the trick!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Mr. Roky. You sir, are an American hero. After I took the arm off and tried it without the arm installed, I realized that it was actually the weight of the arm or the joint not being perfectly straight (or probably both) that was pressing down on the bolt. What I ended up doing was using my thumb to lift the joint up so that the bolt could more easily turn then twist the bolt with my fingers, and that did the trick!
Lol, thanks man, That’s awesome….. way to hang with it……
Sponsored