Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
1) I absolutely love it
2) I'm getting one
3) Why didn't I think of that?
4) Thanks for the link/idea.

But I'm just one buyer, and understanding my background is key.

First, I am assuming the strength of the OEM door hinge has no problems of supporting body weight and then some (i.e. whatever I'm putting on top of or taking off the top of the rig.) Additionally, I'd want to make sure where the device exerts energy into the rig when weight is applied, that that door seal wall doesn't dent. Still more, I'd be putting a cushion strip on there to prevent scratches.

Second, not as a shameless plug, but to add context, I recently made a DIY roof rack https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-no-hole-roof-rails.10580/ and bought door hinge steps I haven't yet installed to reach it. Even though I plan to build a ladder into the design, such a ladder would reside by the rear side window(s) while door hinge steps would be more forward.

My roof rack is for the occasional haul. I have no intention to keep it on when not in use and am not one to do much of a build off stock. Others will, buy an awesome Gobi rack, keep it on 24/7, and love the look of it and hinge steps, and that's cool. But my need for such steps is only for the time the roof rack is on.

Such steps really aren't designed for frequent removal. People report sometimes requiring enormous torque to remove them, and report fear in putting the bolts on and off a lot (door hinge steps come with longer bolts) and their hold strength, and additionally to having to repaint them with touch up paint given the scrathes they face from such torqueing.

Of course some may reply, "not for even a second would I be comfortable with my door hinge beer bottle openers occupied with another task. It's why I run no doors even in the winter." ;)

OP
OP
@OUTDOORTREE

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
1) I absolutely love it
2) I'm getting one
3) Why didn't I think of that?
4) Thanks for the link/idea.

But I'm just one buyer, and understanding my background is key.

First, I am assuming the strength of the OEM door hinge has no problems of supporting body weight and then some (i.e. whatever I'm putting on top of or taking off the top of the rig.) Additionally, I'd want to make sure where the device exerts energy into the rig when weight is applied, that that door seal wall doesn't dent. Still more, I'd be putting a cushion strip on there to prevent scratches.

Second, not as a shameless plug, but to add context, I recently made a DIY roof rack https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-no-hole-roof-rails.10580/ and bought door hinge steps I haven't yet installed to reach it. Even though I plan to build a ladder into the design, such a ladder would reside by the rear side window(s) while door hinge steps would be more forward.

My roof rack is for the occasional haul. I have no intention to keep it on when not in use and am not one to do much of a build off stock. Others will, buy an awesome Gobi rack, keep it on 24/7, and love the look of it and hinge steps, and that's cool. But my need for such steps is only for the time the roof rack is on.

Such steps really aren't designed for frequent removal. People report sometimes requiring enormous torque to remove them, and report fear in putting the bolts on and off a lot (door hinge steps come with longer bolts) and their hold strength, and additionally to having to repaint them with touch up paint given the scrathes they face from such torqueing.

Of course some may reply, "not for even a second would I be comfortable with my door hinge beer bottle openers occupied with another task. It's why I run no doors even in the winter." ;)
I am thinking I will buy one of these steps also.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
They've all got there PRO's and CON's-

Whatever

JIMBO
PICT0089.JPG

Sponsored

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
i would NOT want to put that much stress on the door latch!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
i would NOT want to put that much stress on the door latch!
I thought that too Dave as per my comments above. After visiting their website they claim that Federal law mandates such vehicle areas to be able to withstand uber amounts of force for safety.

True/False??? Just sayin' what they're sayin'.

bentaxle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I hope he took out product liability insurance on that item.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
FWIW: mine arrived in the mail from China yesterday, a couple of weeks after I ordered it--which was pretty much what I as told up front that shipping time would take.

I immediately put foam on the portion of it that comes in contact with the rig's door jam, after assembling it: a 2 bolts and an Allen wrench trivial process.

I like it. It's not perfect, and angles down slightly--at least on the JLU-- as it distances itself from the door jam, but by no means prevents its safe use. It can certainly hold the weight and neither the door jam nor latch were damaged in a any way. I'd recommend it: not just for the passenger doors but the tailgate too.

It's definitely "tub worthy" IMHO, at least when stuff is on top of the rig: and for me that is expensive real estate (tub space that is) that only things that might be useful on the road get priority to. For example, the plastic pieces on the Sports Bar removed to change from hard to soft top for the summer: they sit in the garage: definitely not tub worthy.;)

For now, when the soft top is on I'm using a DIY rack I made (in the DIY section of the forum) and when the hard top is on, either this device or the MOPAR roof gutter hard top rails.

I've got the "drop off kid at college" trip to make soon, need the space on top, can't justify the Gobi's price yet, which may not arrive in time if I did buy it, and want to keep the soft top on. So my rack, and this step should come in handy. Door hinge steps are great but I can't justify their relatively permanent install for he few times I use a roof rack. Still more, as a byproduct of this relative permanence said alternative sits in a fixed location. I think the two supplement each other.
Sponsored

Last edited: