Sponsored

Regen dropping out while braking, and now downhill!

shklog

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon 4XE
i was under the impression that max regen only worked above 5mph or so. The mirror hanger brochure thing (idk what to call it) said that max regen would be active until coming to a complete stop. Maybe its set to cut off at 5-6mph? if i have it activated just driving in stop and go traffic or in a parking lot it isnt the smoothest drive.

Unsure if this is the same issue a couple of you are facing but figured id throw my experience out there for others.
Sponsored

newtothis

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Cherokee Overland 4xe
Occupation
Living
Getting the random chime when putting vehicle in drive and turning out of driveway. Only happens at beginning of drive. Nothing lit up on dash as to why.

Kurlon

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Rubicon, maybe?
My prior hybrid experience is from a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, and it had similar behavior. If you were braking, and regen was active when abs tripped you'd have a brief moment of freewheeling while it cut over to friction braking. It was STUPID sensitive, braking over a manhole cover would trip it, etc. VERY unnerving at first, but eventually I got used to it. All the Toyota hybrids did this.

OP
OP
SpaceCase

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
My prior hybrid experience is from a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, and it had similar behavior. If you were braking, and regen was active when abs tripped you'd have a brief moment of freewheeling while it cut over to friction braking. It was STUPID sensitive, braking over a manhole cover would trip it, etc. VERY unnerving at first, but eventually I got used to it. All the Toyota hybrids did this.
That's an interesting theory, does ABS kick on in 4lo? I experienced the same situation as @ElHobbz did off-roading in Colorado last week. Regen completly gave out downhill on the passes,. This was in all modes (Hybrid, Electric,E-Save), and in both 4Hi and 4Lo. I wonder if hitting the brakes caused ABS to trip, and then turned off regen for a time. I will upload videos showing it happening tonight.

Sponsored

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
That's an interesting theory, does ABS kick on in 4lo? I experienced the same situation as @ElHobbz did off-roading in Colorado last week. Regen completly gave out downhill on the passes,. This was in all modes (Hybrid, Electric,E-Save), and in both 4Hi and 4Lo. I wonder if hitting the brakes caused ABS to trip, and then turned off regen for a time. I will upload videos showing it happening tonight.
I stopped using max regen and encounter no issues with breaking downhill or charging battery going downhill

OP
OP
SpaceCase

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
I stopped using max regen and encounter no issues with breaking downhill or charging battery going downhill
Interestingly, regen failed on a steep downhill with max regen off as well.

whenasked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4XE
It does, yes.
When I am on ACC, and when Max Regen is turned on, I don't see the green battery charging symbol (in the display behind steering) activated. Once I turn off ACC (with max regen on), it is activated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SpaceCase

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
When I am on ACC, and when Max Regen is turned on, I don't see the green battery charging symbol (in the display behind steering) activated. Once I turn off ACC (with max regen on), it is activated.
Because ACC controls all of the braking and acceleration, Max Regen is "in standby" and the green battery charging symbol will turn white. If you click cancel the regen will kick in, hard!

whenasked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4XE
Because ACC controls all of the braking and acceleration, Max Regen is "in standby" and the green battery charging symbol will turn white. If you click cancel the regen will kick in, hard!
Why ACC braking energy could not be funnelled to charge the battery is what I was thinking?

OP
OP
SpaceCase

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Why ACC braking energy could not be funnelled to charge the battery is what I was thinking?
ACC Braking uses regenerative functions as much as possible, so it is already doing this.

OP
OP
SpaceCase

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Finally got the videos uploaded! The first is from Imogene Pass showing loss of regenerative braking and MaxRegen unable to turn off/on, with the loss also occuring with MaxRegen off. The second is from Ophir Pass showing the same behavior, and in addition esave wont start the engine to add engine braking. Sorry for the bouncing :)

Kurlon

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Rubicon, maybe?
I can't see what your battery charge level is in the vids, if you hit 100% you won't have regen, you can't overcharge the battery so the vehicle has to disable regen until the state of charge lowers. Again, same behavior in Toyota hybrids.
Sponsored