Sponsored

Regear second thoughts

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I suspect a typo, went 4.88 but would only go 4.56?
no typo that I can see - I went from 3.73s to 4.56s. The “would only go” is meant to say, “In my opinion, 4.56 is the right choice”. But I’m looking for a blend of highway as well. So 75 on 37s is 2100rpm. I wouldn’t want it much higher for my kind of driving in it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
2nd 392

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
no typo that I can see - I went from 3.73s to 4.56s. The “would only go” is meant to say, “In my opinion, 4.56 is the right choice”. But I’m looking for a blend of highway as well. So 75 on 37s is 2100rpm. I wouldn’t want it much higher for my kind of driving in it.
Got it— Thanks- I have changed my choice to 4.56. But finding a shop to do it locally is more difficult than expected.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Also, gearing shop dismissed Isotropic finish as BS . Find another shop? Thoughts? Thanks 😊
Based upon this ignorant comment, I would find another shop anyway. It seems obvious they have no clue what Isotropic finish actually does.

I had it done on two sets of gears--it is totally worth it for three reasons:

1. Zero break-in which also means zero heat cycles which can be important if the shop is a long ways from your home because you will have to stop and let it cool which will not be necessary with polished gears. You still have to change the oil at 500 miles--but that would have to be done regardless.

2. The amount of wear metals that are generated are substantially reduced from the first mile onwards. This would not be the case with non-polished gears because they have to wear together and will create lots of wear metal in the process. It typically takes between 10 and 15K miles before wear metal generation is stabilized. This is not the case with Dana 44 Advanteks. I was still seeing high levels of wear metals after 20K miles. There was about a 40% reduction in wear metals with the polished gears versus non-polished.

3. Polished gears run cooler than non-polished--even after non-polished gears are broken in. I have had temperature gauges installed in my axles since the first few months of ownership. Despite me installing lower gears which typically run hotter, they run 10-20 degrees cooler at all speeds.

OP
OP
2nd 392

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Based upon this ignorant comment, I would find another shop anyway. It seems obvious they have no clue what Isotropic finish actually does.

I had it done on two sets of gears--it is totally worth it for three reasons:

1. Zero break-in which also means zero heat cycles which can be important if the shop is a long ways from your home because you will have to stop and let it cool which will not be necessary with polished gears. You still have to change the oil at 500 miles--but that would have to be done regardless.

2. The amount of wear metals that are generated are substantially reduced from the first mile onwards. This would not be the case with non-polished gears because they have to wear together and will create lots of wear metal in the process. It typically takes between 10 and 15K miles before wear metal generation is stabilized. This is not the case with Dana 44 Advanteks. I was still seeing high levels of wear metals after 20K miles. There was about a 40% reduction in wear metals with the polished gears versus non-polished.

3. Polished gears run cooler than non-polished--even after non-polished gears are broken in. I have had temperature gauges installed in my axles since the first few months of ownership. Despite me installing lower gears which typically run hotter, they run 10-20 degrees cooler at all speeds.
Thanks for confirming the claims. I have already called another shop that has been around since the 60’s and claims to be Dana “experts” . Left message, call not returned, will give them another try.
Sponsored