Rear window just exploded!!

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
After 3 repairs to my rear defrost, I finally needed it this morning as it was 45 degrees and my windows were foggy.

After driving for about 10 minutes I stopped to get gas. While casually pumping gas, my rear window just exploded. Out of nowhere!! Now comes the fight to get Jeep to coverit.

E41A9D4C-5547-4F24-ADD7-4BAB7A86964B.jpeg
Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
From another thread...... I cant take credit for this
"98% sure it’s the defrost wire coming loose and putting a current through the glass. Happened to me awhile back different vehicle."

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Look below in the thread "Black glass exploded again"

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Might go back to Safelite, or whoever repaired it and see if they will redo it correctly, no charge of course.

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
After 3 repairs to my rear defrost, I finally needed it this morning as it was 45 degrees and my windows were foggy.

After driving for about 10 minutes I stopped to get gas. While casually pumping gas, my rear window just exploded. Out of nowhere!! Now comes the fight to get Jeep to coverit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear window just exploded!! E41A9D4C-5547-4F24-ADD7-4BAB7A86964B
Sorry to hear your problems but on the lighter side....no more fog on the back window! Good luck!

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Man, I had that happen to me with a Toyota RAV4, except it was a sunroof and I was driving at the time. It was so loud, it literally sounded like a gunshot going off in the vehicle. Luckily the Toyota had its retractable sunroof cover on at the time or I would have been showered with tiny bits of glass at 75 mph. Glad no one was hurt!

Back on topic, my Jeep dealer took one look from the defroster wires hanging from my 2018 JLUR and didn't hesitate to simply replace the entire back-glass. No fuss, no muss. Guess I was lucky!

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Curious... did you notice any prior streaky discoloration of the defroster embedded in the glass? Mine appears to be oddly discolored (like when metal gets hot and changes color permanently). I've never used it since I bought it in March, so it is puzzling.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Curious... did you notice any prior streaky discoloration of the defroster embedded in the glass? Mine appears to be oddly discolored (like when metal gets hot and changes color permanently). I've never used it since I bought it in March, so it is puzzling.
Sorry, I can't recall

OP
OP

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Dealership visit in the morning. Submitted photos to make sure it’s covered. Some pieces of glass that obviously got very hot are visible.

Sponsored

PinoyPinay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Software Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same discoloration on my back window (bought it like that new), i thought it was normal until I compared to a friend who bought one too (barely any discoloration). With that said, I have never had any issues with mine, and still works.

WrangledJL

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2door wrangler sport

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear window just exploded!! E41A9D4C-5547-4F24-ADD7-4BAB7A86964B
This just happened to me this morning and they are denying the warranty claim. What did you to get them to do the right thing?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This just happened to me this morning and they are denying the warranty claim. What did you to get them to do the right thing?
@wranglerJL

You can try and hopefully this will help... unless there is more to this story.... say something hit the window versus rear defroster was worked on by dealer's Tech and then the window blew out...

Call the Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146 and politely explain all to the Rep that answers.... again, explain ALL that is going on.....

Ask the Rep to help/assist. Rep will open a case / give you a case number and will work on your behalf...will contact that dealership.

Very often doing this will cause the dealership Service Dept. to place a little more thought/effort lets call it, in dealing with you and your vehicle, ..... because ........FCA is overseeing your JLU issues and is watching/monitoring so to speak.

Have you talked to the Service Manager at the dealership personally? ....... do not do your talking over the phone..

Sponsored