Passenger front window exploded

Cary J

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon and 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

I was driving down the road yesterday and I heard a really loud pop and sound of falling glass. So I stopped to see what was going on (All 4 windows was down) and look in my rearview mirror and my window was gone. I am kinda baffled.

Jeep Wrangler JL Passenger front window exploded C251497B-B0D4-45A6-AFE2-5A28F8849CAF
Jeep Wrangler JL Passenger front window exploded C251497B-B0D4-45A6-AFE2-5A28F8849CAF
Jeep Wrangler JL Passenger front window exploded 00296AFF-5EA8-4943-90D7-D1F6594D58D1
Jeep Wrangler JL Passenger front window exploded 145E4EEA-D80E-4E0B-BFC3-B7983CF1D94F
Jeep Wrangler JL Passenger front window exploded A1F82CEC-B40D-4456-9A48-66F1B93C42F8
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Cary J

About a year ago, a gal came here to the forum and posted about a similar happening. She was driving down the road, rear hatch not up but a bicycle rack mounted on the spare and a bike on it. Other's chimed into the thread and reported spontaneous shatters also.

Anyway, her rear hatch window spontaneously shattered just like yours.

? for you, were you driving with the rear hatch window up/open when this occurred. When you drive with the hatch window open, the hatch window can tweak/twist and hatch window will spontaneously shatter..

For whatever reason your's shattered,...best you can do is go to dealer and tell them what happened. Slight slight slight chance they will cover under warranty. IF they do not, call your auto insurance carrier and say road debris, a pebble or something flew up and hit window. Some would say, tell them someone tried to break into the vehicle, but then insurance will want to see a police report..

Anyway, good chance this repair will come out of your pocket. Expect to pay somewhere around $500+-, I'd guess.

Just found the thread about the other event like this:https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jlu-rubi-rear-window-implosion.18194/

Cary J

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon and 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
@Cary J

About a year ago, a gal came here to the forum and posted about a similar happening. She was driving down the road, rear hatch not up but a bicycle rack mounted on the spare and a bike on it. Other's chimed into the thread and reported spontaneous shatters also.

Anyway, her rear hatch window spontaneously shattered just like yours.

? for you, were you driving with the rear hatch window up/open when this occurred. When you drive with the hatch window open, the hatch window can tweak/twist and hatch window will spontaneously shatter..

For whatever reason your's shattered,...best you can do is go to dealer and tell them what happened. Slight slight slight chance they will cover under warranty. IF they do not, call your auto insurance carrier and say road debris, a pebble or something flew up and hit window. Some would say, tell them someone tried to break into the vehicle, but then insurance will want to see a police report..

Anyway, good chance this repair will come out of your pocket. Expect to pay somewhere around $500+-, I'd guess.

Just found the thread about the other event like this:https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jlu-rubi-rear-window-implosion.18194/

Thanks for the info.

No, my hatch window was down. I NEVER drive with it up. I just got back from the Jeep dealership and they are going to try and submit through warranty. The back glass alone is $1000.

Fitzz47

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 unlimited Sahara jl
My sons side hardtop window did the same thing. The safelite guy said heā€™s done a couple. So you wonder how many are blowing out.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks for the info.

No, my hatch window was down. I NEVER drive with it up. I just got back from the Jeep dealership and they are going to try and submit through warranty. The back glass alone is $1000.
Hi there, we certainly would like to look into this for you while you are working with your dealer. Feel free to send us a private message for additional support.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It's a Jeep thing people, relax. A lot of R&D went into the exploding windows feature.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I have a few friends that have experienced the same exploding glass scenario. The important thing to note is that NONE of them have Jeeps. Two of them were Fords and one was a VW.

In these examples, the root cause seemed to be a combination of faulty glass and environmental conditions.

MalteeseJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

I was driving down the road yesterday and I heard a really loud pop and sound of falling glass. So I stopped to see what was going on (All 4 windows was down) and look in my rearview mirror and my window was gone. I am kinda baffled.

Jeep Wrangler JL Passenger front window exploded A1F82CEC-B40D-4456-9A48-66F1B93C42F8
I'm curious about this one, I wonder if that monster 37 hangin off the tailgate and flexing the gate against the window framing along with the increased pressures inside from windows being down and most likely a imperfection in the glass

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Tempered glass has a tendency to spontaneously explode if there is any slight defect in the glass. My momā€™s sunroof exploded while she was driving. Just do an internet search to see how prevalent it is from cars to furniture.

Jeep and insurance will most likely deny any warranty claim stating a rock must have caused the damage.

Let us know how Jeep handles your situation.

DonnaW

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport
The same thing happened to me in my 2020 wrangler while I was driving on the expressway except mine was the drivers window. Glad fell outside and on my arm and lap. There are also some scratches on the door paint from the falling glass. The dealer never heard of that happening and doesn't know if my warranty will cover it. Did you get yours fixed under warranty?
Sponsored