First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
A6424F38-2BD5-4B55-972D-1A564FC80430.jpeg

This is a JK freedom panel. This piece here rotates down to run just the freedom panels to keep them tight, otherwise if you don’t there will be play after you screw the locks in because they are just a bit long.
A lot of people don’t even know about this spacer even after years of ownership.

You don't have to remove the panels to take the top off. They only have to be unlocked to slide them forward a bit for clearance. It can be argued that unlocking is the same as removing, but I've kept them on loosely to remove the top. I don't know what you mean by a 'rotating spacer,' but it's possible to keep the freedom panels on without the top without any vibration. There's nothing other than the locking tabs.
Yeah to me unlocking the freedom panels and sliding forward is not the same as keeping them on while only removing the rear portion of the top. So you can’t remove the rear portion without some type of moving the freedom panels. Whether you slide them forward or remove them it has to be done to remove the rear.
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Just to clarify for anyone reading not in the know, you will have to remove the freedom panels first to remove the rear portion of the top but than you most certainly can put the freedom panels back on for cover of the front two seats.
...and correct me if I'm wrong but there's an order, isn't there, for putting in the two Freedom Panels, right, or taking them out?

What I do know is that each of the 3 panels that comprise the hard top can be locked in place without any of the other 2 also being on the rig.

In short, you can have as little as zero panels, and as many as three on your rig at any one point in time, as they all lock in place on their own, even though there may just be order to their removal or replacement back on the rig. : - )

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
...and correct me if I'm wrong but there's an order, isn't there, for putting in the two Freedom Panels, right, or taking them out?

What I do know is that each of the 3 panels that comprise the hard top can be locked in place without any of the other 2 also being on the rig.

In short, you can have as little as zero panels, and as many as three on your rig at any one point in time, as they all lock in place on their own, even though there may just be order to their removal or replacement back on the rig. : - )
Yes, there's an order... removing is driver-side first, on is passenger-side first.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Yes, there's an order... removing is driver-side first, on is passenger-side first.
Now that I think of it Marc this makes perfect sense.

The seat most likely filled is the driver's seat. The most likely wish for part of a hard top to come off is above an occupant's (the driver's) head.

Allowing the driver's side of the Freedom Top to come off first without having to first remove the passenger's side makes sense, as sure as does the need for their to be an order to this given water seal is based on the Freedom Panels' need to overlap, short of some mid-line divider built into the roof that would compromise its openness when both panels are removed.

: - )

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
That's not correct.
The correct sequence is: To take them off left side first and to put them on right side first. ;)
Sponsored