TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I keep my "seat towels" and a couple hoodies, under the rear seat.

I was wondering if anyone knows of some sort of retention netting available. I am concerned about when the top and doors are off that the items under there could get blown loose and eventually out. Particularly the seat towels since I keep them right at the edge for eazy access when needed (when Im working in the yard and am filthy and need to make a Lowes run)
Sponsored

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I saw some nice but overpriced, fitted underseat duffle-like containers on this forum, but I didn't like the $100+ price. So I shopped around the outdoor equipment world and found Granite Gear's Zippsack:

upload_2019-3-29_7-52-16.png

Measuring the space under the seat of my JLUR, the 25-liter/XL size seemed to be my best bet. 25 liters is about the size of a medium day pack, but note the caveat below about overstuffing.

Shopping around I found the best price at

I ordered two from Backcountrygear and received one blue and one red. If you don't overstuff them they slide nicely under the rear seat from the side of the seat, keeping my backup rain jacket clean in one and my backup down sweater clean in the other. In installation I found it helpful to reach underneath and pull the bag towards the center. Removal is easy by grasping the haul loop on the end and pulling out lengthwise towards the open passenger door. There are two seat frame pedestals in front of each bag, preventing it from sliding (or being removed) forward into the foot area.

One caveat: The frame of the rear seat folds like a 4-point guillotine onto the space under the seat when you fold it flat. So one needs to remember to remove the bags before folding the rear seat flat for carrying bulky items, etc. However, during this mode the two bags, flexible in my case filled with jackets, fit easily in front of the headrest, which lies on the floor when the seat is folded.

Hope this works for you and other members of the forum! Of course, YMMV.

OP
OP
TimmH

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Just a basic elastic cargo net for about $10? Like this...

Might be a little tricky attaching it well but it might serve the purpose.
Yeah, that is what I was envisioning, but was hoping something made to fit already that I just haven't stumbled on.

I've look at bags and such, but trying to keep access to these things simple. Maybe I can mock up some side piece for the seat, as I don't think anything will come out from the front, it's the open brackets on the side that give me concern.

Thinking about it now, that might be better, as it will help keep the stuff out of sight as well.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Would be nice if Tuffy would make lock boxes for under the rear seat, realizing that space is dependent on how much room there is with the seats in the folded position.

Sponsored

Kevinā€™s Rubi

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired flight test engineer
I added some D rings (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D5WRWNL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and stole the cargo net from my wife's Highlander (she never uses it but now I have Toyota in my Jeep :puke:). I'll redo the disconnect from an S hook to a clip when I get back to the hardware store. I attached the bottom clips to the seatbelt clamp because I never have rear seat passengers. But I can't see any possible seatbelt failures due to this configuration. The bottom fasteners can be attached to the D rings on the floor. The width of the net just makes it sag a little.

+SIJyS0ASLavOILeTSKLfg.jpg

1MdlnIe+ToSRo5dkYMelxg.jpg

f+x6xHF%SJCKoQbFySDGIA.jpg

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I went with 2 of these dry bags.

They have a window so you can easily see what is in them to find stuff.

They are black, so with the window side down, no one will see there is anything under the rear seats when the top is down.

Most importantly, they are dry bags, so i do not have to worry about the elements, and if i get caught in a shower, can throw phone and other stuff in.

Best part is they are cheap:)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ERK6UBQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I went with 2 of these dry bags.

They have a window so you can easily see what is in them to find stuff.

They are black, so with the window side down, no one will see there is anything under the rear seats when the top is down.

Most importantly, they are dry bags, so i do not have to worry about the elements, and if i get caught in a shower, can throw phone and other stuff in.

Best part is they are cheap:)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ERK6UBQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
20L?

Thx!

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
For anyone wondering: The "Fat 50" Ammo cans you get at Harbor Freight fit right under the rear seat. You can probably fit ~3 total. One on the driver side (40 split) and 2 under the passnger side (60 split). It's not perfect but you will have some room left over. I managed to fit 2 of mine and secure them to the seat frame with a ratchet strap, then slid my tow strap and jumper cables under the rear driver side. You can't fold the seat down with them under it, but you can pull them out and they should fit in front of the folded down seat, similar to some of the bags posted. I keep my Compressor and my stinky trail tools in them and they keep everything sealed tight until it's needed.

coachgrinnan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I use these bags.... for my tools that I stuff under the rear seat when I travel and off road. I have five bags. NOTE:They are on sale right now at the link below for $2.88

http://www.searshometownstores.com/product/Craftsman-40947-Large-Mouth-Tool-Bag-12In

1. All Metric tools, wrenches, sockets
2. All SAE tools, wrenches sockets
3. Misc tools, screwdrivers, pliers, tape, knifes, hammers, flashlights.....
4. All recovery gear, Tow strap, tree saver, gloves, d rings, gloves, etc.
5. cordless Impact gun, 1/4 impact driver, drill, three batteries, and drill set, and driver set.

All of this fits nice and tight under the rear seat and does not move around. The tools normally stay in garage, but when it is time to go, I can carry all five bags out at one time and stick them under the seat in less than a minute. Easy pleasey....

spin_prod_951014312?wid=600&hei=600&op_sharpen=1.jpg

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I have an Atlas KOH tool roll for all of my tools (that thing holds a TON), and I wedge it under the rear seat from the side. Also have a Craftsman bag shown above for my recovery stuff. Then a mini shovel, roll of TP, and a small tarp shoved in the middle/behind it all.
Sponsored