Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Hey all,

Long shot, but does anyone know the thread and length of replacement bolts for the M220 rear differential?

The [Banned Site] thread shows bolt torques, and indicates new fasteners must be used. I'm new to this, do you guys normally reuse the bolts or buy new when you drain and clean out your diffs?

https://[Banned Site]/showthread.ph...ER-Reference-Guide&p=12878&posted=1#post12878

Cheers
The JL M220 diff has a drain bolt. No need to take the cover off. Just reuse the drain bolt. Consider putting some yellow teflon tape on the threads.

OP
OP
NovaJeep

NovaJeep

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
The JL M220 diff has a drain bolt. No need to take the cover off. Just reuse the drain bolt. Consider putting some yellow teflon tape on the threads.
Thanks Matt! I should have provided a fuller story. I previously changed out the rear diff and got this purplish-black oil out. I checked it again ~5000 km later and same sort of thing. I'm thinking it may have some water or other crud in it from a slight misadventure I had this fall. Although no noise and no real bad feelings back there so far (knock on wood!)

Just looking to get in there and see if it's anything to be concerned about

Unrelated, but I did not realize just how terrible the blocked Website that i referenced was...the more you know.

20181117_135426.jpg

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I plan on doing my first change in the next few days at ~2700 miles if work/family duties don't get in the way. Just picked up the gear oil and MOPAR friction modifier today (M220 w/LSD).

I'll take note of what the gear oil I am dumping looks like.

OP
OP
NovaJeep

NovaJeep

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
I plan on doing my first change in the next few days at ~2700 miles if work/family duties don't get in the way. Just picked up the gear oil and MOPAR friction modifier today (M220 w/LSD).

I'll take note of what the gear oil I am dumping looks like.
Appreciate it, thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
NovaJeep

NovaJeep

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Just finished my rear differential. The gear oil looked just like yours at 2830 miles.
Well that certainly eases the mind, thanks man!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Unrelated, but I did not realize just how terrible the blocked Website that i referenced was...the more you know.
Just curious, what was wrong with the banned site? I actually visit their site often and they provide bits of interesting info. But I'm not into politics so I have no idea why it's banned.

OP
OP
NovaJeep

NovaJeep

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Just curious, what was wrong with the banned site? I actually visit their site often and they provide bits of interesting info. But I'm not into politics so I have no idea why it's banned.
His forum is privately funded, and you get banned for mentioning a vendor that doesn't pay him advertising fees. Before he left JKForum he did the same there as well. He's been accused by many folks of bashing vendors that don't pay him, and praising only those who do. I understand he's got to make his money somehow, but he also doesn't have to present "facts" based on who pays him.

There's a responsible way to acknowledge sponsorship when reviewing parts, and most youtube Jeepers seem to follow them - at least saying which parts they paid for and which they received free from the manufacturer.
Sponsored