manapiko

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Happy Friday everyone!

Does anybody have recommendations for cargo area covers that work with the sky one touch? I'd love it to be a hard top and lockable, but at this point anything is a good suggestion. I got word back that EZtrunk doesnt work, even though I'm not sure why it wouldn't. The person that emailed me back though, didn't know what the SOT was, so maybe thats still an option.

Thoughts? As soon as I can get them, I'll be having half doors with premium uppers. Next summer I'd like to run the rear windows out and the half doors as much as possible.
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Probably because the quarter windows pop out, don’t those covers attach to the hardtop bolts? The bolt holes are still there but the quarter windows cover the top of the tub. IDK if you could attach them below the tub instead of on top. 🤷‍♂️
Gregj

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Happy Friday everyone!

Does anybody have recommendations for cargo area covers that work with the sky one touch? I'd love it to be a hard top and lockable, but at this point anything is a good suggestion. I got word back that EZtrunk doesnt work, even though I'm not sure why it wouldn't. The person that emailed me back though, didn't know what the SOT was, so maybe thats still an option.

Thoughts? As soon as I can get them, I'll be having half doors with premium uppers. Next summer I'd like to run the rear windows out and the half doors as much as possible.
Of course the people at EZ Trunk--who I presume you got the thumbs down from--would know what their product doesn't fit but I'd love to know why.

Maybe it has some thing to do with the wing bolt plates (for added security) shown at 7:15.

I wonder if the GPCA Cargo Cover, which isn't metal or lockable, but thick, https://gpca.com/shop/gpca-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-cargo-cover-pro/ could sandwich between the cargo tub and the removable back windows...I suspect that it in part depends upon whether the cargo tub of power top owners has the conventional hole pattern (to attach a hard top) of four door owners without the power top.

I'm not a power top owner.

I run this GPCA cover above a wooden box I made for the cargo area.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suspect that it in part depends upon whether the cargo tub of power top owners has the conventional hole pattern (to attach a hard top) of four door owners without the power top.
There is only one tub, the bolt holes are present on them all, even the soft top.

Gregj

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
There is only one tub, the bolt holes are present on them all, even the soft top.

Gregj
Ok...useful....as was your first post....:)

Perhaps the GPCA cover I referenced could be attached with the correct size (I forget is it M8? this: Hardtop Screw) Phillips Flat Head Stainless Steel ones that fit the 3 cargo tub threaded holes on each side.

That flat head on the bolt may allow the bolts to sit, like the cargo cover, between the cargo tub and base of a removable window where the standard button head torx bolt that secure a hard top would not.

Funny enough, when GPCA first released this cover, indicated for use by both hard and soft top owners, they failed to include two such screws (they've since addressed this) for soft top customers for the hard top cargo tub hole on each side (1 of 3) closest to the front of the vehicle, under which soft top hardware exists, and the standard hard top button head torx bolt Hardtop Screw would not fit. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/gpca-jl-cargo-cover-concerns.12353/post-387640

Sponsored

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Looks like you might get that GPCA cover and flat head bolts in....?

Isn't the bottom of a slide out window of the power top recessed (2:00) in the places that the cargo tub threaded holes are located?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like you might get that GPCA cover and flat head bolts in....?

Isn't the bottom of a slide out window of the power top recessed (2:00) in the places that the cargo tub threaded holes are located?

The bottom of the window is flat with two pins that go in holes in the tub. There is foam weather strips on the window with cutouts where the bolts would go. A bolt will not fit between the window and the tub, I think the only solution is to use short bolts inserted from the underside, they can not protrude above the tub or they will interfere with the window.

Gregj

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
The bottom of the window is flat with two pins that go in holes in the tub. There is foam weather strips on the window with cutouts where the bolts would go. A bolt will not fit between the window and the tub, I think the only solution is to use short bolts inserted from the underside, they can not protrude above the tub or they will interfere with the window.

Gregj
Like this..

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear cargo cover for Sky One Touch? 48342018-8835-43C8-B2DC-33F666B27848

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
The Tuffy security enclosure will still work with the SOT.

A lot of rear storage options won’t play well with that top as the removable rear windows remove the access to the hardtop mounting holes most covers, racks, etc. are designed to use.
Basically you’re looking for something that doesn’t use the tub rails for support.

Sponsored

OP
OP
manapiko

manapiko

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Thanks a ton for the help in here. Looking into these options this morning!

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Have you reached out to Diabolical? I'm seeing some indications that the Slipstream might work, but nothing definitive. The slipstream doesn't need the hardtop bolts at all, so something to consider.

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
The Tuffy cargo gate enclosure works perfect. I mounted some tie down rings to the top of it and use a bungee net. Makes a nice shelf.

MOEBULB Tie-Down D-Rings 8pcs/Set... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074V6CRHB?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Also use the Tuffy tailgate box. Love it. Keep all my “go stuff” in it. Doubles as a tailgate table.

last comment on the enclosure… I used a piece of flat iron that I Ben up on each end across the front to stabilize it. Now if I need to haul something big I take the top and back out but leave the sides in all the time. Works great.

OP
OP
manapiko

manapiko

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I really think the EZtrunk will work. I'm likely going to order it anyway and I'll report back!

FloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Rubicon 392, ‘20 Gladiator
Have you reached out to Diabolical? I'm seeing some indications that the Slipstream might work, but nothing definitive. The slipstream doesn't need the hardtop bolts at all, so something to consider.
I installed the diabolical slipstream on my 392 with SOT today, so I can confirm it is compatible. It wasn’t the easiest install for me, but if I can do it I think just about anyone can do it. The owner of Diabolical Slipstream was unbelievably helpful. You do need to loosen the top (via 5 hex bolts on each side of the vehicle which are attached to the roll bar, 2 in the front, 3 in the rear), and remove the bottom hex bolts for the install, but the top stays on.
Sponsored