Random steering issues

Go N 4LO

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ
First I realize there are a ton of threads about steering and I searched most that sounded similar to mine but still came up short. So I apologize if this has been covered already or if I happen to fall under the umbrella everyone else is..

I have a 2019 JLUR, just over 5k miles and my biggest mod so far has been 35’s on stock rims.. 70% of the time it drives great. The other times it pulls hard to the right like I’m fighting excessive road crown, requires constant input just to track straight.

I just don’t understand how it can seem perfect most of the time, then turn into an asshole randomly. Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
First I realize there are a ton of threads about steering and I searched most that sounded similar to mine but still came up short. So I apologize if this has been covered already or if I happen to fall under the umbrella everyone else is..

I have a 2019 JLUR, just over 5k miles and my biggest mod so far has been 35’s on stock rims.. 70% of the time it drives great. The other times it pulls hard to the right like I’m fighting excessive road crown, requires constant input just to track straight.

I just don’t understand how it can seem perfect most of the time, then turn into an asshole randomly. Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated!
My first thought is it is due to the road and not so much the Jeep. I have 35s on my Rubicon and it behaves totally different on different stretches of road. I do have the wondering/loose steering issue, but from what you're describing, sounds like the larger, wider tires doing what they do.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
road conditions, wind, temperature all affect it. On a hot day the aluminum expands and the steering box will loosen up internally

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Since you have a Rubicon I would consider the longer Mopar LCAs to get caster in a better place, and get in line for the new steering box. I know you mentioned it's fine most of the time but at least addressing those two issues will make it much easier to correct whatever else is going on down there :) And those two parts might get it just right!

FWIW my steering has been fine for the most part for 20 mos and 14k miles, but becomes an A-hole on long hot drives recently :(
Sponsored