MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
Hi,

My 2019 Wrangler had the steering box replaced by the dealer (it took them 7 weeks). Once replaced it had the dreaded death wobble. The solution was to replace the stock steering damper with a Rancho damper... But, every time I drive over a bump in the road I get a shake through the steering column. I would describe it as hyper-road feel. I had an independent shop replace the track bar with a Tereflex unit. Helped a bit, but I still have far too much vibration in the steering wheel. It's not wheel balance issue... I've had that checked.

Curious if anyone here has had this problem or knows the solution?

Thanks.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Hi,

My 2019 Wrangler had the steering box replaced by the dealer (it took them 7 weeks). Once replaced it had the dreaded death wobble. The solution was to replace the stock steering damper with a Rancho damper... But, every time I drive over a bump in the road I get a shake through the steering column. I would describe it as hyper-road feel. I had an independent shop replace the track bar with a Tereflex unit. Helped a bit, but I still have far too much vibration in the steering wheel. It's not wheel balance issue... I've had that checked.

Curious if anyone here has had this problem or knows the solution?

Thanks.
If it didnā€™t do it before the replacement, then it seems obvious that itā€™s the steering box. Why did it take 7 weeks to do a TSB? Iā€™d open a case with JeepCares and bring it to a different dealer to have it redone. Right now your just throwing band-aids on it.

OP
OP
MrBell

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
It took 7 weeks due the incomprehensible incompetence of the dealer service, Jeep Cares who defended the dealer's incompetence and Jeep's technical service who's only advice to the dealer was to road-balance the wheels (repeatably). The only reason I have my Jeep back is because I'd text the Service Manager daily insisting he take my repair seriously. I wish I was making this up.

There's no way I'd ever go back to that dealer, but I have no idea which of the other local dealers are competent to repair. No way am I going to let my Jeep sit for another 7 weeks.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If it didnā€™t do it before the replacement, then it seems obvious that itā€™s the steering box. Why did it take 7 weeks to do a TSB? Iā€™d open a case with JeepCares and bring it to a different dealer to have it redone. Right now your just throwing band-aids on it.
It took 7 weeks due the incomprehensible incompetence of the dealer service, Jeep Cares who defended the dealer's incompetence and Jeep's technical service who's only advice to the dealer was to road-balance the wheels (repeatably). The only reason I have my Jeep back is because I'd text the Service Manager daily insisting he take my repair seriously. I wish I was making this up.

There's no way I'd ever go back to that dealer, but I have no idea which of the other local dealers are competent to repair. No way am I going to let my Jeep sit for another 7 weeks.
Thanks for mentioning us here, OldGuyNewJeep.

Our team would be happy to help you out if you are still in need of assistance, MrBell. It does look like we spoke with you before regarding these concerns, so if you'd like to work with us toward repairs, please follow up in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

jackrubicon

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler rubicon 2021
HELLO I have a 2021 jeep rubicon with a steering problem since it was new the dealer has replaced the steering box twice it's a nightmare this jeep is my 5th and my last the jeep service has become rotten I hate this jeep wrangler rubicon I have 15,000 klm and I don't think I'll keep it for another 15,000 klm driving is shit

Sponsored

OP
OP
MrBell

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
HELLO I have a 2021 jeep rubicon with a steering problem since it was new the dealer has replaced the steering box twice it's a nightmare this jeep is my 5th and my last the jeep service has become rotten I hate this jeep wrangler rubicon I have 15,000 klm and I don't think I'll keep it for another 15,000 klm driving is shit
I feel your pain. Steering was so bad I gave up and traded in my Wrangler for a Toyota 4Runner. The Jeep was fun but the Toyota is bulletproof.

Best of luck.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi there! If you need support with your concerns, contact Jeep Cares Canada at 1-800-465-2001.

Kate
Jeep Cares

jackrubicon

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi there! If you need support with your concerns, contact Jeep Cares Canada at 1-800-465-2001.

Kate
Jeep Cares
I called several times and with no news and without any concern on the part of Jeep several complaints filed with the dealership. the day when there will be an accident can be fatal with jeeps then will be the big wake-up call for you jeep

jackrubicon

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I called several times and with no news and without any concern on the part of Jeep several complaints filed with the dealership. the day when there will be an accident can be fatal with jeeps then will be the big wake-up call for you jeep

Sponsored