Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
So my 2.0T has ran fine until recently. Had the water pump replaced at the dealership under warranty and thought that was a source of an overheating problem. The thermostat is also fairly new.

If I give it a little beans, and sometimes under normal acceleration, my temps will reach near 230 and takes longer than normal to come back down. Even then, itā€™ll stay around 210-214 then randomly the fan will decide to kick into high gear and drop it back to 190-195. To me it feels like the fan isnā€™t kicking into jet engine mode nearly as much as it used to.

Puzzled as to what it can be. Iā€™m thinking a temp sensor or something related to that.
Sponsored

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
My 3.6 Auto does the same thing. I think there some wonky shit in the tuning since the fans are computer controlled now.

OP
OP
KnightJLU

KnightJLU

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My 3.6 Auto does the same thing. I think there some wonky shit in the tuning since the fans are computer controlled now.
I was thinking that. Itā€™s almost as if the fan is confused on whether to kick on at ~210 or at ~230

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
I was thinking that. Itā€™s almost as if the fan is confused on whether to kick on at ~210 or at ~230
It seems completely random. But if you turn the HVAC control to high, the fans seem to kick on. what's even more neat o, is the gauge reads the same at 195 as it does at 230. Haven't figured that one out yet either.

OP
OP
KnightJLU

KnightJLU

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It seems completely random. But if you turn the HVAC control to high, the fans seem to kick on. what's even more neat o, is the gauge reads the same at 195 as it does at 230. Haven't figured that one out yet either.
Weird. Iā€™m gonna try to get it hot and use a thermal reader on the temp gauge areas and see if theyā€™re reading properly. Somethingā€™s wrong here.

Sponsored

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Software Engineer
Was about to make my own post but Iā€™ll post hereā€¦ my Iā€™ve had mine for 6 days, used bought at 7100 miles. Yesterday my fan was on full blast for all of my driving, today it was the same but my coolant temp would go way high (talking 252 when idle) give me the warning, and then it would drop back down to 240, 230 and it would sit there then jump right back up. I feel like itā€™s a temp sensor issueā€¦ thoughts? Iā€™m new to Jeep and am not exactly a mechanic so open to suggestions. Trying to get it in to see the dealership ASAP. For reference Iā€™m in AZ, and average temp today was high 80s

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Was about to make my own post but Iā€™ll post hereā€¦ my Iā€™ve had mine for 6 days, used bought at 7100 miles. Yesterday my fan was on full blast for all of my driving, today it was the same but my coolant temp would go way high (talking 252 when idle) give me the warning, and then it would drop back down to 240, 230 and it would sit there then jump right back up. I feel like itā€™s a temp sensor issueā€¦ thoughts? Iā€™m new to Jeep and am not exactly a mechanic so open to suggestions. Trying to get it in to see the dealership ASAP. For reference Iā€™m in AZ, and average temp today was high 80s
Mine has never gave me a warning. Im thinking of mounting a pusher on the front of the condenser. Havenā€™t done much research yet, but im thinking it wouldnā€™t hurt. Seems like the cooling in JL is inadequate.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
this is not normal...someone traded a jeep in with issues and they flipped it to you...get it taken care of

JamieIvester

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S 2.0
I was having the same issues, and realized I was checking the turbo coolant reservoir. When I realized the black tank on the firewall was the radiator reservoir, I also realized I was low on coolant. I hadnā€™t seen any puddles or indications of a leak, but at idle this winter I have had a couple times the temp got abnormally high. Well, today when I was adding coolant, I also realized that reservoir has a leak somewhere on the bottom and the leaked coolant must have been hitting the turbo and vaporizing. Adding the coolant definitely solves the high Temo problems and I have a new reservoir on the way. Glad I figured out the cause to the high temps and then why the coolant was low. Pretty easy fix it appears.

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Glad you figured it out. I checked mine out pretty thoroughly but will have to check that area better. It hasn't gotten hot for a while. Mainly because I haven't been driving it at high speeds up steep hills lately. Good luck with your fix!
Sponsored