Sponsored

Random harness found?

efreyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I was installing the MOPAR Auxiliary kit (a story for another time as it was a PIA), and found this random harness attached dead to the little cubby. It is a JLR, so the left side has the off-road switches. It did not originally come with the auxiliary switches, so it has the cubby on the right. I removed the panel to install the switches and the harness and there was this random harness attached to a dead slot on the back of the cubby. The harness looks exactly like the one for the auxiliary switches, all of the wire slots and almost all of the colors match up. I looked around and do not had the accessory wires that would come with the auxiliary switch. Could they have installed only some of those wires? Any thoughts what it could be?

IMG_3242.jpg
Sponsored

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
It is normal to run some portions of harnesses for accessories. Its just easier in production to do that for every vehicle, and then leave off the more accessible parts if the customer didn't order that option.

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

I was installing the MOPAR Auxiliary kit (a story for another time as it was a PIA), and found this random harness attached dead to the little cubby. It is a JLR, so the left side has the off-road switches. It did not originally come with the auxiliary switches, so it has the cubby on the right. I removed the panel to install the switches and the harness and there was this random harness attached to a dead slot on the back of the cubby. The harness looks exactly like the one for the auxiliary switches, all of the wire slots and almost all of the colors match up. I looked around and do not had the accessory wires that would come with the auxiliary switch. Could they have installed only some of those wires? Any thoughts what it could be?

Jeep Wrangler JL Random harness found? IMG_3242
When I was installing the LASFIT Aux Switch Panel, I also found that same harness! At first, I searched and searched for where it might have come off of but then realized it had been there all along. Wasted 30 minutes! In the end, just pushed it back in with the other, useful wires.

BIGW0RM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Raptor // 22 M3 Comp X // 20 RRS
So does this mean you only need the switch bank and not the harness too???

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
So does this mean you only need the switch bank and not the harness too???
You need both. Depending on the kit you’re using. The Mopar kit comes with it all. Not sure of other makers.

more so I’m trying to say that your vehicle was not pre wired with the harness if you did not purchase the AUX switch group.

Sponsored

BIGW0RM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Raptor // 22 M3 Comp X // 20 RRS
Gotcha.

But I still wonder why the cubby has the same wires dead plugged into the back of it as the gentlemen up above had mentioned he found. Surely they go somewhere? Seems silly to buy the kit with the wiring harness, only to see the same wires already in your dash.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Maybe they only have one wiring bundle for the 2 doors?
When I put the aux switches in my 4 door that plug was not there.

Do you see the aux leads by the battery or another plug tucked up near where the receiver is at the rear?

OP
OP

efreyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
No, I checked. Could not find the leads anywhere. I looked for the ones by the battery. I am just wondering where the other end leads to…no pun intended.

quick66

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Hightide Edition
I encountered this mystery harness in the same way as @SoCal JLUS did when I installed the Lasfit Aux switches a couple weeks ago. I "assumed" that this harness was for the factory aux switches which mine did not come with (and wouldn't work with the Lasfit as is uses a different harness altogether).

Last edited:

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

Maybe they only have one wiring bundle for the 2 doors?
When I put the aux switches in my 4 door that plug was not there.

Do you see the aux leads by the battery or another plug tucked up near where the receiver is at the rear?
I have a 4 door and it was there. Don't really know where the plug goes to and since I have everything tucked away and closed, I guess it will remain a mystery! 😁
Sponsored