Radio 7inch vs 8.4 inch

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Thanks. How can you tell it is the 8.4? Is it because the vent circles intrude into the bezel?
No, at the bottom of the 7 there is a thicker bezel, also the 7 is noticeably smaller
Sponsored

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
So that begs the question. Is nav part of the 8.4 package. Or is it part of the software package that is in the infotainment group package. Inothers words if you order the stand alone 8,4 does it have gps?

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
So that begs the question. Is nav part of the 8.4 package. Or is it part of the software package that is in the infotainment group package. Inothers words if you order the stand alone 8,4 does it have gps?
I’m not sure I understand, you can’t just order the 8.4, it’s bundled

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
apparently you can> it doesn't show on the build and price on Jeep.com but someone here said you can and they had the code for it. however what is unclear about that is wether or not the stand alone 8.4 inch ( when not a part of the infotainment package) has Gps or is simply a bigger screen?
MY thoughts are that to get GPS you have to get infotainment package, whcih kinda sucks because I don't really want to spend the $$ on the alpine set up but I really need GPS

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Would android when running google maps also run it in terrain mode? or in satelite mode? and would that project on to the screen in the jeep?

Sponsored

monteeyah

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
edge
Thanks. How can you tell it is the 8.4? Is it because the vent circles intrude into the bezel?
Newbie here, but I believe on the 7" the bezel is wider with a inside "lip" that extends all a round to cover the gap that would exist around the smaller screen.

avei5150

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Does the Sahara come with the USB and other plugs in the back with just the normal 7" option that comes with the basic Sahara package?

I'm debating getting the 8.4" vs 7" in a Sahara. I really don't need the Alpine system, if the screen is just a little more than 1/2" on either corner.

Does the "infotainment" package add anything else other than just; larger screen size, alpine audio, and GPS?

I was planning on just using either an Android or Apple product for Maps. I was not going to use Auto GPS as it never stays up to date. I live in an area with a lot of development and it'll be out of date in a few months.

I liked the USB plugs and a few things in the back seat area of the Sahara, and wanted to make sure it would come with the stock 7" option with the base Sahara package.

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I have used uconnect onmy gig for 10 years since 08 I live in so cal where there are developements done every day It works for me but I will say it is beginning to get out of date

Sponsored

SachM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubi Jl
I don't really need the alpine set up but I really need the GPS I use my 08 uconnect on my Ruby everyday (even though it is 10 years out of date ) Plus it stores where I have been, and having 2 gps iphone and unconnect has helped many times, but I would hate to have to pay $600 to activate it.....!!!!! and as I recall sitting in the sahara at the LA auto show it seemed to have a working GPS. so does anyone know for sure if the 7.0 has gps It sure looks like it but he description doesn't say so...... unless this is the 8.4 screen in the sahara at the LA auto show?

IMG_5985.JPG

IMG_5983.JPG

so does this look like the 8.4?
Is your audio knob working after a swap to 8.4”? Any other issues?

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 7in screen now but want a 8.4in screen. Does anybody know if I can just swap screens? Or is there more involved in the process?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
What pissed me off, that I discovered after the fact, is that when you pay $1,000 bucks for the "Technology Package" for the 7" screen, you don't get things like HD radio, Off Road Pages, Nav, etc.

One would think that a super-expensive option called the "Technology Package" would actually include some technology. But nope, it doesn't. And Android Auto/Apple Carplay S U C K S . It is like taking a PS4 and putting Atari functionality in it. Who the hell would do that?

I say go 8.4" or use the money on another option that you want. Me personally, I wish I'd gotten the Cold Weather Package instead.

imthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe Bright White
Occupation
Film Editor
Vehicle Showcase
I tested out both before I decided, and actually ended up with the 7" package. My phone does a great job of handling the duties of GPS, music, text, calls, etc. and with the addition of Apple Car Play, I get everything I need. I didn't want to take up space in the back with the subwoofer, nor do I need all that bass. The screen is more than acceptable for everyday use and I've never found myself needing more screen real estate. Off Road Pages weren't/aren't available on the 7", so I'm more than fine looking straight ahead into the actual terrain or the steering cluster to see pitch/roll.

I'm glad I saved the cash there and put it into things that I wanted more.
Sponsored