Sponsored

Radio 7inch vs 8.4 inch

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
What does the 8.4 inch do that the 7 inch doesn't? I am very confused by the options for the rubicon. I thought it said that the rubi comes with the 8.4 but someone said that this is not true that the 8.4 comes with the infotianment package only.

So what does any one know?
Second part of this is what does android do that apple car play doesnt't do.
for example I know that with apple car play it won't load topomaps because I tried it on the Chevy Colorado, by hooking up my iphone to the chevy display and it opened messages audible etc. But would NOT open topo maps even though it runs on the iphone

But would android display topo usa if it runs (topo usa runs on an adroid device just fine) on an adroid device?
Because if it would I would dump the iphone and get a android phone ? and order the android car play.
Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Looking at the "Customer Preferred Code Guide" for the JL 2-door...

The 8.4" can be ordered outside the Infotainment Group for the Rubicon. It is code UJQ.

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
GPS is the only real difference.

And comparing Android Auto and Apple CarPlay is a big debate.

Android Auto has proven to be a better system than Apple CarPlay thus far. Much more diverse app availability. The ability to run Google Maps (Which is leaps and bounds more advanced and accurate compared to Apple Maps), and Waze.

Also, Android Auto uses "Ok Google" commands, which have proven to be quite a bit more advanced over Apple's Siri.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I was also wondering the 7 vs 8.4

My understanding on the Jeep build site is the Rubicon has the 7" radio with apple/android auto standard. Then if you want for $1295 you can add the infotainment package which goes to the 8.4" screen w/navigation and some other sirus options like traffic. It also adds the 9 speaker alpine system (at least on the JL).

My question is does the 7" screen have the "Off road" pages like the 8.4" one does? If it does have that then it really sounds like it's just the size and navigation you're missing out and with android auto I do not need built in nav whatsoever.

Sponsored

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I was also wondering the 7 vs 8.4

My understanding on the Jeep build site is the Rubicon has the 7" radio with apple/android auto standard. Then if you want for $1295 you can add the infotainment package which goes to the 8.4" screen w/navigation and some other sirus options like traffic. It also adds the 9 speaker alpine system (at least on the JL).

My question is does the 7" screen have the "Off road" pages like the 8.4" one does? If it does have that then it really sounds like it's just the size and navigation you're missing out and with android auto I do not need built in nav whatsoever.
The Alpine stereo w/ Sub upgrade is well worth the cost of the Infotainment group.

Only $100 difference over getting the Alpine system alone. Might as well go with the other perks and the larger screen/Nav.

I am sure both come with the off road pages that show the pitch/roll etc.

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
ok interesting i was allset on the infotainment but if I can get nav with the 7 inch I don't really need the alpine system. But iw aouls stillwant the 7 inch to do allthe things the 8.4 does. Will it?

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding the 7" has a GPS antenna input but no built in GPS software. So I'm not sure what exactly that means but if I had to guess you could run the GPS antenna then pay the dealer $600 to flash it with GPS. I'm just guessing there.

Otherwise you can just use your android/apple navigation right on the radio.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
My understanding the 7" has a GPS antenna input but no built in GPS software. So I'm not sure what exactly that means but if I had to guess you could run the GPS antenna then pay the dealer $600 to flash it with GPS. I'm just guessing there.

Otherwise you can just use your android/apple navigation right on the radio.
If I had to pay $600 for GPS, I’d consider very highly just updating to the larger screen..A. You get larger screen B. Better sound system... I opted for the 8.4, but I really won’t use the nav, I’ll use my phone... I love the screen though and I really wanted the upgraded stereo so it was pretty much an easy choice.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
If I had to pay $600 for GPS, I’d consider very highly just updating to the larger screen..A. You get larger screen B. Better sound system... I opted for the 8.4, but I really won’t use the nav, I’ll use my phone... I love the screen though and I really wanted the upgraded stereo so it was pretty much an easy choice.
I'm just using the 8.4" uconnect on my 2017 Ram as an example. They come "nav capable" but to turn it "on" it's a $600 addon.

In hindsight I really wish I didn't get it. It sucks and I never use it. With Android auto i would just download my maps for offline use and have good directions all the time.

I am tempted to do the 8.4" radio though as adding the 9 speaker system is nice however looking at the standard equipment it now lists 8 speakers? I wonder if that's for a 4 door as my last 2 door JK had 6 speakers.

Sponsored

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I'm just using the 8.4" uconnect on my 2017 Ram as an example. They come "nav capable" but to turn it "on" it's a $600 addon.

In hindsight I really wish I didn't get it. It sucks and I never use it. With Android auto i would just download my maps for offline use and have good directions all the time.

I am tempted to do the 8.4" radio though as adding the 9 speaker system is nice however looking at the standard equipment it now lists 8 speakers? I wonder if that's for a 4 door as my last 2 door JK had 6 speakers.
Subwoofer would be #9.

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I don't really need the alpine set up but I really need the GPS I use my 08 uconnect on my Ruby everyday (even though it is 10 years out of date ) Plus it stores where I have been, and having 2 gps iphone and unconnect has helped many times, but I would hate to have to pay $600 to activate it.....!!!!! and as I recall sitting in the sahara at the LA auto show it seemed to have a working GPS. so does anyone know for sure if the 7.0 has gps It sure looks like it but he description doesn't say so...... unless this is the 8.4 screen in the sahara at the LA auto show?

IMG_5985.JPG

IMG_5983.JPG

so does this look like the 8.4?

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
the 7 doesn't not have GPS but it notes it has a GPS antenna input whatever that is.

The 8.4" pictured above does have nav.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I don't really need the alpine set up but I really need the GPS I use my 08 uconnect on my Ruby everyday (even though it is 10 years out of date ) Plus it stores where I have been, and having 2 gps iphone and unconnect has helped many times, but I would hate to have to pay $600 to activate it.....!!!!! and as I recall sitting in the sahara at the LA auto show it seemed to have a working GPS. so does anyone know for sure if the 7.0 has gps It sure looks like it but he description doesn't say so...... unless this is the 8.4 screen in the sahara at the LA auto show?

IMG_5985.JPG

IMG_5983.JPG

so does this look like the 8.4?
That picture is the 8.4, The 7 doesn’t have nav, I have no idea if it can be activated, but if it can and it does cost $600 ( I have no idea about that either just going by the other poster) imho you’d be better upgrading to the 8.4 then getting then 7 and installing nav for $600 if that is actually possible and that is actually the real figure.... keep in mind, Apple and android play will show your phone nav on the screen so I also feel like factory nav is not needed anymore but obviously that is a personal preference.

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Thanks. How can you tell it is the 8.4? Is it because the vent circles intrude into the bezel?
Sponsored