Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Is there anyway to test the unit? To make sure it functions properly? I am getting random sympthoms one of which is battery drainage on random times.

Another is the Jeep awakes-like the time when you open the door-with the Jeep logo appearing and the notice on the dashboard about how to turn the vehicle on... it stays one and then it all goes away. The worst is the random batttery drainage which I cannot contribute to any parasitic draiage or bad batery - I have tested it all both ways.

I read somewhere that the above can be the symptoms of a bad computer unit... So I am wondering if there is a way to test it hopefully without having to go to the dealer-All 3 Chicago dealers are simply crooks and I have zero trust in them.

Help please!!

Photo for attention!
Jeep Wrangler JL Question about the onboard computer! Rhonda
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Check all grounds and seated fuses.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I read somewhere that the above can be the symptoms of a bad computer unit
What you describe are symptoms of bad/old/dead batteries. You have a 2018. If you haven't already done so, have your main and auxiliary batteries changed.

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
What you describe are symptoms of bad/old/dead batteries. You have a 2018. If you haven't already done so, have your main and auxiliary batteries changed.
I have the Genesis dual battery system installed. Main battery is less than 6 months old and the aux battery is lexx than 3 weeks old. Both battery check out fine.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The most likely source of a parasitic draw is something that you have added to the vehicle. You’ll need an ammeter, and several hours of free time.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
With the information provided, much like asking the blind men to describe the elephant, you're going to have wildly different potential issues based upon their own personal experiences. But given the depth of information, that's going to be depth of the response. Not your fault, that's just what you have to work with.

So here's my interpretation of your potential issue:
You've got very light and soft noise somewhere on your CAN bus. Not the computer (BCM), but the network between computers and components. In most cases, your vehicle will temporarily wake up in response to a noise event and go back to sleep. When the noise is unlucky or severe, it will have awaken something that won't shut down and your battery will drain hard.

The problem is that in order to fix it, it usually has to be caught while it is having an event. That can be hard for a dealer. If you want to try tracking it down yourself, you might follow the outline of the method I described in this message. But you'd be looking at hours of test time for each pulled connector in order to rule it in-or-out as a noise source, I imagine.

Get better info:
Actually, you might read the message after that, too. If you've got a Tazer with a very recent firmware, or JScan and you read ALL the per-module codes (not the Check Engine Light codes by themselves), it can provide a very good hint as to what is going on and possibly where. Even if you don't have a check engine light right now. But do not clear any codes!

But yes, it could be something different. Not ruling out other causes.
Sponsored